Define btwn FAREWELL and GOODBYE

Irish Devil Dog

Reaction score
Define what Farewell and Goodbye ??

People r getting me confused what Farewell or Goodbye means lol... So, can you define what different between them both.

For an example.. The show says GOODBYE.. Would it comes back on in falltime... Or for good??

Usually, musical bands that have their "Farewell Tours" are on tour for the last time. I am not sure about TV shows though. I personally tend to thing farewell as you're not going to see someone again for a long time, if ever again.

I just looked up in my dictionary, and basically it says that both words are the same. So I :dunno:

Interestingly enough though, good bye is an alternation of "god be with you." Never knew that.

farewell mean, you will never see again.

good-bye, mean other word for.. see you later, maybe we meet again, who know?

I think they are same words? oh well if so go figures some people tend to get confused over that words :laugh2:

258~

My meaning of "Good Bye" is good bye, see you later.

My meaning of "Farewell" is good bye, good luck, and I probably won't see you again until we die.

oh c'mon they both mean the same thing

good bye is proably that they will see you again but not for a very long time

farewell is proably that they will NEVER be back again

Originally posted by illustrator
farewell mean, you will never see again.

good-bye, mean other word for.. see you later, maybe we meet again, who know?

Yea thats pretty much it what i was gonna say.

hey irish why don't u use ur best friend the dictionary they will tell u the defination. but what they have said in here is accurate ( right) if u see them say farewell, that means the person will plby never see u again, if u say good bye it's a brief * lost of contact* till u see them soon or months later

:roll: sorry if i say that but u could use the dictionary....

Originally posted by javapride
hey irish why don't u use ur best friend the dictionary they will tell u the defination. but what they have said in here is accurate ( right) if u see them say farewell, that means the person will plby never see u again, if u say good bye it's a brief * lost of contact* till u see them soon or months later

:roll: sorry if i say that but u could use the dictionary....

:werd: i agree Javapride

Yeah, I threaded it here becuz of some people are confusing w/ those define when it comes to the shows on TV likely coming on again next fall etc.. So I was curious their define what different between them. I do know what it does mean but people juz confusing me thats all.

I don't think that it really matters with which word you use. Good-bye is the simple way and farewell is a more formal or sophisicated way.

i think farewell is like " this is the last time u will see me"
and goodbye is " yea u just might see me again "

goodbye versus farewell

As someone else mentioned, "goodbye" was originally "God be with you." "Farewell" was, I think, originally two words, "Fare well." That's the verb fare (to get along or to go, cognate to German fahren or Dutch varen), not fare that you pay the cab driver. :) You're hoping that the other person does well in the future.

Do people use "farewell" when they don't expect to see the other person again? I'm not sure. I've heard/seen "goodbye" used a lot more than "farewell," but that might just be because "farewell" is old-fashioned or archaic.

Re: Re: Define btwn FAREWELL and GOODBYE

Originally posted by pimpdaddyposse
Definieren Sie welcher Abschied und auf Wiedersehen?

??? Why did you speak in German?
It was wrong BTW.

Definieren Sie die Unterscheid zwischen "Abschied" und "Auf Wiedersehen"?

:-P

Re: goodbye versus farewell

Originally posted by jejones3141
As someone else mentioned, "goodbye" was originally "God be with you." "Farewell" was, I think, originally two words, "Fare well." That's the verb fare (to get along or to go, cognate to German fahren or Dutch varen), not fare that you pay the cab driver. :) You're hoping that the other person does well in the future.

Do people use "farewell" when they don't expect to see the other person again? I'm not sure. I've heard/seen "goodbye" used a lot more than "farewell," but that might just be because "farewell" is old-fashioned or archaic.

Yes, in German "fahren" means to go. There is a saying in German which goes like this: "Gute Fahrt!" (Have a safe trip). Or "Gute Heimfahrt" (Have a safe trip home.)

Good Bye mean never see again. farewell mean away for years and years can be meet again later on in the future.

that's my opnion

My family taught me as slap me. "NEVER SAY GOOD BYE". They explained to me, Good bye mean see you in long time in other place that we can met again.

about Farewell; I believes mean that good bye with good lucks as carry the new hopes for people's next life to new place, job, family or whatever the reason people gone to.

Back