Deafness & Military

asian2009

Reaction score
I am an ASL 4 student and i have always wondered about this:

Does it bother anyone that they cannot join the military because they're deaf? I wonder if there are people that want to join, but feel discriminated against because they dont have the option.

just a thought. please reply =]

thank you

-sarah

YES!

We deaf people can do some certain things in the military, no question.

Let me add one bit...

How come we deaf sometimes beat hearing in the sports?!

So ask yourself as why cannot we do in the military? :hmm:

so what force would u have liked to join? and what job? linguist positions interested me most...

My husband is hearing. He is enrolling to Air Force. My dad was an Army.

My ex boyfriend is deaf and wanted to join military. I asked my dad if any deaf people can join to military? My dad and my husband said no. Because you can't hear the combat and noise in background. It's very dangerous. You must have 140% hearing. It's very perfect hearing. Vision must be 20/20. If you can't hear and can be happen when it's bomb or shooting.

My husband know more about military. He wish for deaf people to join military but can't do that. I am sorry. It can't change.

so what force would u have liked to join? and what job? linguist positions interested me most...

Air Force not Force. I love Air Force! I'm proud to be an airman wife! Personally, I can't share with anyone at AD members about my husband's job at Air Force. It's very private as sensitive.

Yes, and I'm shocked that not much has been done to overturn this.

Seriously, during combat - the noise is so damn loud that the military has "invented sign language" that they use to communicate with one another. There are a lot of other positions that deaf/hh folks can do in the military, such as work in the postal service section or manage military housing. Plus, lot of hearing people end up losing their hearing due to explosive noises, etc. :hmm:

Let me add one bit...

How come we deaf sometimes beat hearing in the sports?!

So ask yourself as why cannot we do in the military? :hmm:

military is a life-and-death situation. A single case of miscommunication means somebody is going to die from it. The best we can do is be involved in non-military positions that provide supports for military :(

I've always want to be in intelligence field... You could say that Putin is my role model LOL j/k but nearly exactly like Putin's KGB career.

I've always wanted to drive a tank and run over stuff. Kind of what I do with my own car anyways. ;)

Yes, and I'm shocked that not much has been done to overturn this.

Seriously, during combat - the noise is so damn loud that the military has "invented sign language" that they use to communicate with one another. There are a lot of other positions that deaf/hh folks can do in the military, such as work in the postal service section or manage military housing. Plus, lot of hearing people end up losing their hearing due to explosive noises, etc. :hmm:

right. Plus on most occassions when a soldier suffers traumatic hearing loss, with the exception of borderline deafness, most times they're reassigned instead of medically discharged. Knowing that it was one of my things growing up that i somehwat had my sights set on doing, it bugged the hell out of me when i learned that.

I wanna be a sniper.

you and me both.

I've always want to be in intelligence field... You could say that Putin is my role model LOL j/k but nearly exactly like Putin's KGB career.

years ago I had a shirt that said "a$$e$ of evil" w/ a pic of some popular ppl. the civi ponds security @hanau said schroder and putin should've been on it along w/ rummy, bush and rice. anyway...were u a drill sergeant? I activated myself as a medic before accepting a training slot @DLI for a linguist position years ago.

Air Force jet pilot or Navy helicopter pilot!

it would've been hard for the crew chiefs to communicate quickly w/ you as a helicopter pilot. But it has to be nice to fly a helicopter. maybe an all deaf helicopter crew will be formed one day...

Back