Deaf with cochlear implants....

Cheri said:
If a child is born into a hearing world and from a hearing family, while cochlear implants are not a cure for deafness, that doesn't mean the child cannot learn sign language. Let's not forget that the child is Deaf, was born Deaf, will always be Deaf regardless of how effective a user of their implant they become. You think that is fair for the child not to know his/her background the fact that the child was born Deaf?

Supposedly down the roads from now, a child grows up to be an adult, meets a deaf person for the first time, and a deaf person signs to a person who has no interaction with the deaf community, has no knowledge of signs, How would this person feels when he/she doesn't know any signs? I bet uncomfortable. Families should also have regular contact with Deaf people so that their children can learn sign language from other Deaf people naturally, or sign language classes..

Dont forget that its already happened to oral students. I grew up oral and did not learn sign language until I was in mid 20s. Did it stop me from joining Deaf Community? No, it rather helped me appreciate the fact that I am comfortable in both worlds.

My mother did her best - she thought that my brother and I would have more tools if we were raised oral first then learn ASL when we were ready.

Now we are in similiar situation with CI. CI will never destroy deaf culture. It is a tool that will allow all Deaf to mingle in BOTH worlds.

My fiance grew up using ASL and was never taught how to speak or lipread. He regretted that and wish he was skilled like me, being able to speak, read lips AND sign.

Also my niece who did not learn sign language until she turned 11. She is learning ASL now and enjoys both worlds. She has no hard feelings for her parents who chose CI for her. She understood that it is important to have ALL tools available.

Gemtun said:
Dont forget that its already happened to oral students. I grew up oral and did not learn sign language until I was in mid 20s. Did it stop me from joining Deaf Community? No, it rather helped me appreciate the fact that I am comfortable in both worlds

Yes so? You are part of both world, She was making a point about hearing world. How is that the same?

neecy said:
If a child who is born into a hearing family goes directly from infant to having a CI and being able to speak clearly, and hear what their family/friends are saying, and has no interaction with the deaf community, should there still be a requirement that the child learn ASL?
No. However, I do wish to stress one thing; Upon growing up, if the CI child wants to learn ASL, wholly on his/her initiative, then such efforts should be encouraged! At a very minimum, parents, professionals, and medical personnel should not actively discourage such efforts.

I, for one, sincerely hope that the vast majority of the current CI generation will 'discover' sign language and adopt their cultural heritage. And it will all be on their own shoulders, and no one else. I wouldn't want it any other way! :)

Cheri said:
You think that is fair for the child not to know his/her background the fact that the child was born Deaf?

The background for a deaf child born into a hearing family is the background of the family. They don't HAVE a "deaf background." Sure they might have an interest in learning more about other deaf people, and deaf culture, but they will identify with the culture of their family first.

Supposedly down the roads from now, a child grows up to be an adult, meets a deaf person for the first time, and a deaf person signs to a person who has no interaction with the deaf community, has no knowledge of signs, How would this person feels when he/she doesn't know any signs? I bet uncomfortable. Families should also have regular contact with Deaf people so that their children can learn sign language from other Deaf people naturally, or sign language classes..

They'd feel the same as a hearing person feels when they encounter a deaf person for the first time. Their own deafness won't (or shouldn't) be of a consequence. If they want to learn the language they have that option just as hearing people do, but if they are able to communicate and hear with the CI, and go to hearing schools, if their parents choose NOT to teach them ASL I don't think that's the end of the world. Like me, they can learn it later in life if that is what they want. Different strokes for different folks.

Neecy,
but does having a deaf child make it mandatory that parents become involved with the deaf community? What if there IS no deaf community where they are? (there wasn't one where I lived - I didn't "become involved" with the deaf community until 8 years after I went deaf, when my family moved from the country to the city)

If a child who is born into a hearing family goes directly from infant to having a CI and being able to speak clearly, and hear what their family/friends are saying, and has no interaction with the deaf community, should there still be a requirement that the child learn ASL?

While I agree its best to involve total communication, sometimes it simply isn't possible. My own experience is proof. Everbody has different circumstances and different reasons. We have to be tolerant of them all.
Yeah, but I think that even in the case where TC isn't possible in a day to day sitution, that the kids should be able to opt to go to DHH summer camp programs....they should be able to have ASL as an option, and shouldn't have to be left to learn about it on their own....that's all we're saying.... I know too many dhh kids who were thought to be perfectly OK without Sign, and then discovered it on their own, and now wish they'd had it early on!

Also my niece who did not learn sign language until she turned 11. She is learning ASL now and enjoys both worlds. She has no hard feelings for her parents who chose CI for her. She understood that it is important to have ALL tools available.
The debate now isn't over methodology. It's about which language should be a dhh kids' first language. Most audilogically hoh kids don't really need to be involved in this debate. They can learn speech easily......but SHOULD be able to have access to Sign and Deaf Culture. Whereas for deaf kids..... it's hard, but I do think that both dhh kids should be able to start learning ASL at an early age, rather then being assumed to not need it. It shouldn't be lost in an ideologically war, or lost to dumbass parents who are still very much in denial about their kids' hearing losses!

I have seen some CI deaf children have been failed with their English written because they are really behind their true language in early age because they forced the children to learn how to speak first before ASL or understand the concept of english written..

Many parents dont realized it hurts many deaf children with their english written later in their child s future.. ** shaking my head**

SEE only or Oral speaking only is not the answer for those kids from the beginning.. Wake up and dont be so selfish.

TOO many deaf oralist do not write very well with english written which is totally sad after all they had been wearing HA or CI or learning how to speak like a big gimmick all those years.. STupid of you people hold them back until it s too late.

Scoffs!
Sweetmind

Born profoundly Deaf but is considering Cochlear Implant...

Hi. I'm 24 and profoundly Deaf all my life and now is considering a CI and would like to have feedback with who are Deaf and is already implanted so what is their view of having CI or is it benefit for you?

The reason is that I'm considering a CI because ive worn hearing aids while growing up but only has one because hearing aid doesn't really pick up any sounds...the audiologist recommend me to get CI. There are many reasons I should get it...I just couldn't list it all...

I dont want people who are fully against CI over me because for ONE thing - I WILL NOT LOSE MY DEAF IDENTIFY, period. I need to able to hear for many reasons...so please just feel free to feed back... :)

HippieSnow05 said:
Hi. I'm 24 and profoundly Deaf all my life and now is considering a CI and would like to have feedback with who are Deaf and is already implanted so what is their view of having CI or is it benefit for you?

The reason is that I'm considering a CI because ive worn hearing aids while growing up but only has one because hearing aid doesn't really pick up any sounds...the audiologist recommend me to get CI. There are many reasons I should get it...I just couldn't list it all...

I dont want people who are fully against CI over me because for ONE thing - I WILL NOT LOSE MY DEAF IDENTIFY, period. I need to able to hear for many reasons...so please just feel free to feed back... :)
Hello there, I am not for implanting babies with CIs but I am for those who are old enough to make their own decisions to be implanted with a CI. You are old enough to make your own decisions. Before you go ahead with a CI you need to study about it very carefully and ask lots of questions about it if there is something you don't understand.

By the way, it is good that you will not throw away your Deaf identify if you decide to get a CI :) Some people with their CIs do :(

Sweetmind said:
I have seen some CI deaf children have been failed with their English written because they are really behind their true language in early age because they forced the children to learn how to speak first before ASL or understand the concept of english written..

Many parents dont realized it hurts many deaf children with their english written later in their child s future...................
You draw from years of experience.... but not experience from the last 10 years.
For children born nowadays - deafness often is a choice.
It's the parents that make the decision when the children are small, and later on the children can make the choice themself.

Time to get updated.

ButterflyGirl said:
Hello there, I am not for implanting babies with CIs but I am for those who are old enough to make their own decisions to be implanted with a CI. You are old enough to make your own decisions. Before you go ahead with a CI you need to study about it very carefully and ask lots of questions about it if there is something you don't understand.

By the way, it is good that you will not throw away your Deaf identify if you decide to get a CI :) Some people with their CIs do :(

Hi Butterfly. Yes I've researched all about CI and Surgery. I just want to have feedback with who are Deaf and is implated... I am not talking about putting child with CI or whatever but it is for me.

Oh yes- I wont take ever my Deaf Identify because this is what I have growing up even I have whole hearing family except me.

ahh ahh I was kinda suspicious that neecy used to be a hearing child before she become deaf at age nine. Bingo!!! It makes sense she can hear with CI device not deaf children who became deaf at age one or two years old.

She had already established her language before she became deaf at age 9 that makes sense now.

Sorry pal thats what I m trying to point that out that former hearing child over 9 years old that has no right to speak for deaf babies/ toddlers. they are still cannot able to understand on the phone because they speak too fast as usual..

Some latened deaf failed to have CI because it is not making the promise for them to get their hearing back. it snt working for them.

Thats a real reasonable for latened deaf people who can take the risk to have CI as is..

Thank you! ;)

Sweetmind

HippieSnow05 said:
Hi Butterfly. Yes I've researched all about CI and Surgery. I just want to have feedback with who are Deaf and is implated... I am not talking about putting child with CI or whatever but it is for me.

Oh yes- I wont take ever my Deaf Identify because this is what I have growing up even I have whole hearing family except me.
i'm deaf.. i'm into deaf and hearing culture. and am implanted. pm me if u want.

You can't compare a deaf child with a deaf family to a deaf child with a hearing family. 2 different cultures - 2 different environments.

HUH I came from hearing family if you mind. I born deaf and do have a huge plm with my family who doesnt sign at all. Jeez! I speak and wore HA all those years so what makes you think HA and CI are different. I find this is full of crap

Huh ... my computer does have the Windows XP .... I damn does to understand what does you mean .. damn it i was only to say it that is all I know. Can't you just try to understand what I am try to say ... but you seem not to want to know all you want that everyone to listen you and only you ...

Thats excatly right , thats how I felt and pissed off at Cloggy who thinks he knows everything about deafness for a long time. He thinks hearing is better than deaf .. whooppeee dooo.. very self centered to speak for himself not for his child.

Same thing over and over for years and years and todays .. Nothing change !

Time to get updated.
It has happened in todays if you dont mind.. I have my own eye witness in Deaf reality. . Jeez!!! wow i hate somebody like people know it all.

I m wrong wrong as he thinks.. scoffs!

Cloggy said:
Since I am the "owner"of the quote I feel I should response.
Your definition for deaf or hearing is about having mechanical devices that help you to hear. With that in mind, my daugter is deaf.

My definition is about communication, and I wrote that when visual clues are not needed for communication, I defined it as hearing. With that in mind, my daughter can hear.
While the definition of "hearing" is "to be able to perceive sound", that definition could loosely include deaf people (for example, dancers) who hear music through their skin. However, calling your daughter "hearing" gives most people higher expectations than being more "honest" like Chari suggested.

Cloggy said:
Of course there is still the philosophical question about when someone is deaf. My daughter grows up with sounds on both ears when she's awake. I could call that hearing. She does not recall deafness 24/7. She's fine when it's off before sleeping, in the shower, even now with 1 processor broken, she''s fine with sounds on only 1 side. But she has the choice to hear. When it falls off, she'll put it back, when I remove it to test it, she'll say "don't touch".
Of course, that's like ripping a somebody's glasses away if they need them to see clearly (like I do).

Cloggy said:
People having CI at later age will have intense recolision of the time of deafness so I can see very well that the consider themselves deaf.
The thing here is that the cochlear is nowhere near what a hearing person would hear. (I know a deaf person who was late-deafened and he says it is a lot worse with his implant, so he knows what both are like.) Unlike glasses, which actually DO correct most people with vision problems 100%, the reality is that cochlear implants DON'T provide normal hearing. Glasses don't require surgery either.

Therefore, I don't consider cochlear implantees to be "hearing".

Back