Deaf schools or mainstream?

I wish I had gone to a Deaf school but at least I went to Gallaudet. Boy, did I learn about many different things in such a short time than I did in my lifetime.

I hated it there

I hated it there

Sorry that Gallaudet was a bad experience for you. It was at first for me but I ingored those who werent nice to me and eventually found and developed life-long friendships with many Deaf people.

I never Galluadet. I meant FSDB.

Really? Wow! That's a first! I have so many friends who graduated from FSDB and they all have great memories of it and love it. Whenever they get together and talk about their memories of FSDB, I get a little envious cuz it must be nice to have that kind of history with friends.

Sorry, u hated itbut honestly, you are the first person to say that about FSDB.

Really? Wow! That's a first! I have so many friends who graduated from FSDB and they all have great memories of it and love it. Whenever they get together and talk about their memories of FSDB, I get a little envious cuz it must be nice to have that kind of history with friends.

Sorry, u hated itbut honestly, you are the first person to say that about FSDB.

Well, they dont know my past. Because I value my family first and my friends second.

Well, they dont know my past. Because I value my family first and my friends second.

Huh? My friends? I didnt say anything about them knowing your past. I was talking about them and their past with each other and how wonderful that all of them still maintained their friendships for so many years. They are in their late 30s and early 40s so I doubt that they would know who you are anyway.

Huh? My friends? I didnt say anything about them knowing your past. I was talking about them and their past with each other and how wonderful that all of them still maintained their friendships for so many years. They are in their late 30s and early 40s so I doubt that they would know who you are anyway.

Well. When i was there, they dont treat each other with respect.

Well. When i was there, they dont treat each other with respect.
Iam getting more confused...who is "they"..my friends or your peers cuz from what I remember you r 18 years old meaning u went there sometime around 2004 to 2006?

My friends graduated from FSBD during the late 80s and early 90s.

anyways, at every school there r always going to be kids who don't trat others with respect. In the mainstreamed programs, I was bullied and beat up by hearing kids all because I was deaf. I did nothing to provake the fights or the bullying so they had absulotely no respect for others. Deaf schools are not the only schools with that problem...my 11-year old daughter is hearing and she comes home upset or crying sometimes about her classmates bullying or not respecting her.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that it's quite common everywhere, hearing or deaf.

Usually, it doesn't happen that often at deaf schools in my time - only certain few ones did.

It usually happens (and happened) to those new students at schools that they pick on. They need not to... no respect... but none is new, really.

Iam getting more confused...who is "they"..my friends or your peers cuz from what I remember you r 18 years old meaning u went there sometime around 2004 to 2006?

anyways, at every school there r always going to be kids who don't trat others with respect. In the mainstreamed programs, I was bullied and beat up by hearing kids all because I was deaf. I did nothing to provake the fights or the bullying so they had absulotely no respect for others. Deaf schools are not the only schools with that problem...my 11-year old daughter is hearing and she comes home upset or crying sometimes about her classmates bullying or not respecting her.

peers i meant. No i went to FSDB before that. 2001 is more exact. My horrible school year. I never thought I would say that, oh well.

You'll find disrespect far more often in the mainstream than in a specialized environment. I agree with you on this one.

Buffallo, back in the 60's and seventies they automaticly thought that dhh kids were MR, so they dumbed down the curriculum. Plus your program was not a Deaf School.............rather it was one of those regional "magnet" programs for the dhh, housed at a public school.

Where do you come up with these weird ideas? No one thought I was MR. I was one of those mainstreamers in the era you speak of. I have a very high IQ actually. And the school knew it.
( maybe a little of topic, but this makes me angry. An emotion. I am telling you clearly "I feel anger" So apparently Aspies can express emotion!)

you want your child screwed up send him or her to a public school.

Lucky you

Well.....thanks.

I kind of wished that I did get to attend a deaf/mainstream school. But am grateful for the educational opportunities that my parents and grandmother gave me.

So....guess one can't win them all eh?

Well.....thanks.

I kind of wished that I did get to attend a deaf/mainstream school. But am grateful for the educational opportunities that my parents and grandmother gave me.

So....guess one can't win them all eh?

I hated school so much, that I can't imagine wanting to attend one. If I had not attended I suppose I could feel lonely or like I missed something. I really think you were lucky. My dad mostly educated me anyway even though I did go to school.

I hated school so much, that I can't imagine wanting to attend one. If I had not attended I suppose I could feel lonely or like I missed something. I really think you were lucky. My dad mostly educated me anyway even though I did go to school.

Well.... :ty:

I feel different about the experience as I feel that my education was "slightly railroaded" as we speak.

Bottesini,

I don't know anyone personally that was homeschooled except for few hearing friends, who I knew, did.

Anyway, I'm curious since you were home schooled, have you involved with any sports or clubs to socialize with the kids that you might have lacked of?

Went to any college after that or not yet?

Back