Deaf schools or mainstream?

Originally posted by SilenceGold
Went to public school until 9th grade with interpreter. Tried to Transfer to ASD but only stayed for 3 weeks then transferred back to public school because of no education at ASD. Dropped out in 10th grade and got GED. I still consider myself successful.

that's good choice :thumb:

i had been going to mainstream all since i grow up and i am glad that i already graduated from high school in 1997 shessh!!! and I went to RIT dropped out from there bec i wasn't used to living on my own in dorms and etc.. so I am considering to go back to college this fall.. I have to begin to believe in myself and knowing that I can do it without being afraid!!!! and i can end up being :eek2: or :ugh: smile :)

Originally posted by LezArtist
i had been going to mainstream all since i grow up and i am glad that i already graduated from high school in 1997 shessh!!! and I went to RIT dropped out from there bec i wasn't used to living on my own in dorms and etc.. so I am considering to go back to college this fall.. I have to begin to believe in myself and knowing that I can do it without being afraid!!!! and i can end up being :eek2: or :ugh: smile :)

THAT'S G REAT keep it up :) u know u can do it :)

Did I say I was in mainstream school ?? No, okay... we have deaf program in the public school but when I was 3 years old, NO INTERPUTER!!!!! but that years, I went to unviserty for two years to learn the education with deafies. At finally, I went to mainstreamed with deaf program til they find me in very high IQ so get me in hearing classes since third grade to high school. :D

Hello.

I myself went to Fla. Sch. for the Deaf in St. Augustine, FL. It was a great experience for me!

Enjoy.

Public School OR Deaf School...Which one do you prefer?

There are some pros and cons about public schools and deaf schools. Being at the deaf school, you can socialize with many deaf people. At the public schools, you can make friends and teach many hearing people. The bad part about public school is that there are not a lot of deaf students like me. I went to public middle and high schools where there were not many deaf people like only one or two deaf students.

Public school, public schools is more challenging and deaf schools is just way to easy (That is just what I heard from other deaf people who went to deaf and public schools)

There are some pros and cons about public schools and deaf schools. Being at the deaf school, you can socialize with many deaf people. At the public schools, you can make friends and teach many hearing people. The bad part about public school is that there are not a lot of deaf students like me. I went to public middle and high schools where there were not many deaf people like only one or two deaf students.

Well, Like you said, there's pros and cons of being in a deaf school and in a public school. The list goes on. That's pretty much of a common scenario that we go through, basically.

For one person, he/she can fare better in a public school because that is all they have ever known. Now if that person was all in of a sudden transferred to a deaf school, it can be a tough transitional phase but in due time, all those sharp edges will be smoothed out.

Whereas, for another person, one can fare so well in a deaf school but when it comes to being transferred to a public school, that is not a easy task to do. Why? In this case, this person has already been accustomed to have a visual language which is the main foundation. When he/she gets into the public system, it's like everything is reversed and that only can be as tough as it ever can be.

Personally, I can't really say if it is meant to be for EVERY one. It depends on how they fare in the educational and/or social setting. It has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

There are some public schools that have deaf programs and interpreters.

I went to public school. There was an average of 3 to 5 deaf students per grade level.

I enjoyed it. :)

well, im went both. its doesnt matter to me because i was in mainstream with 10+ deafies in the program and hearing programs. Then i joined Deaf school, it makes no difference. Just bigger numbers of Deafies what i had at mainstreamed.

I would pick Deaf school because of socialize, experience in Deaf Culture more, and 'pperciated it what they have done.

I went both, I perfer public school because it is bigger and more challenge while at deaf school you have to deal with other deaf kids with their problems.

Would rather go to a Deaf school due to the direct access to communication with every staff and every student rather than depending on an interpreter or playing catch up. If my hearing peers have full direct access to info and communication, I should too.

Would rather go to a Deaf school due to the direct access to communication with every staff and every student rather than depending on an interpreter or playing catch up. If my hearing peers have full direct access to info and communication, I should too.

That's a great point. You know, I see and hear people say all the time that deaf schools are too easy and public schools are more challenging. Since the majority of deaf schools today follow the same curriculum as the public school, I think the whole idea of deaf schools being easier is based on the fact that a deaf child in the mainstream, even with accommodations, has to struggle with access. In the deaf school, access makes comprehension easier. So it is not the curriculum that is easier, it is the access to the curriculum that allows students to learn without struggle.

True about the interpreter situations... someone from Texas told me that he attended to a community college where they had trouble finding an interpreter at times. He then learned that the VRS companies took much of them so that left very little available for the schools where they are needed... so it must be one of top reasons they had the problem. He attends Gallaudet Univ. now due to this reason.

So it must be something else for someone to ponder about in those days. (those who choose to attend mainstream or hearing schools)

You know what would be a great idea? Maybe requiring that kids attend Deaf Schools/programs so that they have a concrete educational base, and THEN gradually transistion to mainstream schools.

Back