Deaf people and SSI

pixiestix

Reaction score
Please don't flame me.

I am a working deaf woman. I have never been on SSI, SSA, whatsoever. I have a lot of deaf friends that doesn't work mostly by choice and lives off SSI, SSA, etc just because they are deaf.

So I do not believe if they are living off SSI, they shouldn't be doing luxury things such as travelling, new car loan payments, go on vacations, etc. SSI should be for living necessities.

It is just sad that they are living on SSI just because they can. I believe they can work if they want to and put their mind to it. But then I may not know their actual situation in general deaf poplulation.

I would rather be working, and having good times such as travelling, etc. I would go nuts staying home all day doing nothing!

lol, youre asking for it, arent you.

"dont flame me but but ill just go ahead and bash you anyway"

brilliant.

Please don't flame me.

I am a working deaf woman. I have never been on SSI, SSA, whatsoever. I have a lot of deaf friends that doesn't work mostly by choice and lives off SSI, SSA, etc just because they are deaf.

So I do not believe if they are living off SSI, they shouldn't be doing luxury things such as travelling, new car loan payments, go on vacations, etc. SSI should be for living necessities.

It is just sad that they are living on SSI just because they can. I believe they can work if they want to and put their mind to it. But then I may not know their actual situation in general deaf poplulation.

I would rather be working, and having good times such as travelling, etc. I would go nuts staying home all day doing nothing!

Well if I don't have SSI, then I will never have a house to help the homeless people to have home nor trying to work on my goal to save the money to build a huge greenhouse so that I can become a farmer.

I'd rather to say THANK YOU to government for the help they have done for me, helping me to help others, and also supporting my goals.

But, I understand about those deafies who have no goal, just living with SSI, I know alot of my friend are like that and it's kinda sad that they didn't realize that the government are actually encourage them to use up the SSI to support their goals.

lol, youre asking for it, arent you.

"dont flame me but but ill just go ahead and bash you anyway"

brilliant.

i agree with you, dead money.. that poster really asked for it, huh? jeez!

and the reason i am not working is i have Meniere's Disease. It affect my life and my every day routines. I thank you for not bashing me! :roll:

Oh and havent you noticed the economy are not doing well? duh? lot of people are being laid off due to business closing. Even mall are closing, and so on.

Not just Deaf people but hearing people are having hard time to find a job too. K?

Its one of those waves of hiring and laying off employees. When company opens hiring window, they will hire deaf first to meet quota required by law on disablities ratio. But when company is in hot water, they lay off the disablities first before hearing. Pathetic!

Also there is difference of SSDI and SSI and SSA. I have worked with all three. If SSDI, they are more likely had true physical problem that cause them cannot work for life. Not related deafness. SSI is for people who struggle to enter workforce.

In fact, I admit I had SSI when I left my parents' house to go college. 4 and 1/2 years later, I graduated and already entered work force. If it wasnt for SSI, I will have hefty student loan to deal with today. I managed to paid off all my college bills with SSI and worked part-time.

In fact - I did not like the idea of SSI. My dad encouraged me to take SSI because he felt that he paid so much property taxes and IRS. In a way, he is paying for my college through Taxes. Ironic!

Now taxes I am paying to IRS is going to those deaf that are using SSDI and SSI. Tax payer's money at work. Yikes.

Interesting food thought of the day.

I am not trying to bash, just trying to understand.

that is understandable about meniere's disease... I have RA and i am working as much as i can and as long as i can. Just don' want to go on SSDI

Yes there are layoffs but it doesn't automatically put hearies on SSI. they can get another job, or unemployment, or different line of work. That also applies to deafies who works too.

i agree with you, dead money.. that poster really asked for it, huh? jeez!

and the reason i am not working is i have Meniere's Disease. It affect my life and my every day routines. I thank you for not bashing me! :roll:

Oh and havent you noticed the economy are not doing well? duh? lot of people are being laid off due to business closing. Even mall are closing, and so on.

Not just Deaf people but hearing people are having hard time to find a job too. K?

Great post DM!

Its one of those waves of hiring and laying off employees. When company opens hiring window, they will hire deaf first to meet quota required by law on disablities ratio. But when company is in hot water, they lay off the disablities first before hearing. Pathetic!

Also there is difference of SSDI and SSI and SSA. I have worked with all three. If SSDI, they are more likely had true physical problem that cause them cannot work for life. Not related deafness. SSI is for people who struggle to enter workforce.

In fact, I admit I had SSI when I left my parents' house to go college. 4 and 1/2 years later, I graduated and already entered work force. If it wasnt for SSI, I will have hefty student loan to deal with today. I managed to paid off all my college bills with SSI and worked part-time.

In fact - I did not like the idea of SSI. My dad encouraged me to take SSI because he felt that he paid so much property taxes and IRS. In a way, he is paying for my college through Taxes. Ironic!

Now taxes I am paying to IRS is going to those deaf that are using SSDI and SSI. Tax payer's money at work. Yikes.

one deaf friend of mine. He said to me, he hope If McCain win for the president, then McCain will remove SSI for deaf. My friend said, many deaf ppl are soo lazy and easy to get SSI. what is with hearing ppl? hearing ppl can't get SSI. no fair for deaf!!!
I can't oppose SSI. I am neutral, because I am a german and in Germany have no problem with social to live ppl both of deaf and hearing.

You need to remember that hearing people can apply for Welfare and Unemployment check to tide over things until they can get Job. No matter how you feel or think about this issues: The remain fact is Hearing person will have f**k much better at get job more than deaf person does.

Hell most factories would rather to hire hearing immigrants than deaf us citizen. That s bulls***t

one deaf friend of mine. He said to me, he hope If McCain win for the president, then McCain will remove SSI for deaf. My friend said, many deaf ppl are soo lazy and easy to get SSI. what is with hearing ppl? hearing ppl can't get SSI. no fair for deaf!!!
I can't oppose SSI. I am neutral, because I am a german and in Germany have no problem with social to live ppl both of deaf and hearing.

The irony is that McCain used to be on Gally's Broad of the Trustee.

Well I have to disagree with removing the SSI from the deafies because it could cause problem for other people that don't use the SSI. It could lead the deafies to become a "mooching group" or leading them to live with parents for the rest of their life.

SSI stop deafies from mooching on other people or living with parents. I'd rather to see the government use the tax that people paid to give the deafies the checks instead of deafies bother on those people who could have paid the tax to support them.

here in usa.. hearing people do get welfare and unemployment checks, food stamps and medicaid just enough to tidy them over till they find a job.

Same concept for Deaf people- they get ssi to tidy them over till they find a job.

I am not trying to bash, just trying to understand.

that is understandable about meniere's disease... I have RA and i am working as much as i can and as long as i can. Just don' want to go on SSDI

Yes there are layoffs but it doesn't automatically put hearies on SSI. they can get another job, or unemployment, or different line of work. That also applies to deafies who works too.

If i dont have Meniere's Disease. I would go back to work in a heartbeat but unfortuntely i can't. I have no choice as not know when it will hit me out of blue and feeling sick to my stomach with vertigo and dizziness attacks. I do have good days and bad days. No cure for it. :(

I used to work over 14 yrs so I did paid my taxes. :)

Hearing people do get unemployment checks and welfare. They also get food stamps and mediciad till they get a job. NOt just deaf people, ok. :)

Please don't flame me.

I already brought up this subject in a way that asked for opinions, instead of outright bashing people for collecting SSI/SSDI.

I do have to agree that they shouldn't be using that money for luxury items. However, it's not the job of common people to enforce that. I prefer not to get involved if a friend is doing that.

SSDI has nothing to do with taxes. It comes out of your paycheck and it is your money to use, should you become physically disabled.

The remain fact is Hearing person will have f**k much better at get job more than deaf person does.

That is what a defeatist says. I am Deaf and I have always found jobs on my own with little or no help from OVR. You have to be competitive, learn how to write a resume and sell yourself in an interview.

It's only hard if you make it hard on yourself.

Unemployment checks are paid by the employers to pay the state. It is not from government. It is different from welfare.

If i dont have Meniere's Disease. I would go back to work in a heartbeat but unfortuntely i can't. I have no choice as not know when it will hit me out of blue and feeling sick to my stomach with vertigo and dizziness attacks. I do have good days and bad days. No cure for it. :(

I used to work over 14 yrs so I did paid my taxes. :)

Hearing people do get unemployment checks and welfare. They also get food stamps and mediciad till they get a job. NOt just deaf people, ok. :)

One day, I was laid off from company. We had VW Jetta, Benz and Porsche. Also, high cost to live on property. I had no problem with SSI.

he hope If McCain win for the president, then McCain will remove SSI for deaf. .

I was out of job for 6 months. I applied over 200 different places still no one call me for job interview. Very very hard to find any job with good salary. Same company re-hired me. They cut down my salary. I am not happy to go back there. Also, hurt my feeling about salary. I think most companies are dirty business to play with workers.

I prefer not remove SSI for the Deaf. I will not agree with your friend's wish. Most deaf people works hard for less salary. Older deaf people will hard time to find job.

Higher risk for Deaf people are over 40 years old. Today is not very good economy. Most company wants downsize or buy out older workers. That's big risk for older deaf people. Many companies will hard to accept to hire deaf worker. We do not want to see many deaf people end up to live on street.

Old Soviet - many deaf people had good live under Communist.
Today, many russian deaf people make poor live without job and welfare. (someone told me about russia). Not want to see happen in the USA.

That is what a defeatist says. I am Deaf and I have always found jobs on my own with little or no help from OVR. You have to be competitive, learn how to write a resume and sell yourself in an interview.

It's only hard if you make it hard on yourself.

:gpost:

I never get SSI or SSD before. I used to have a SSA and now SSDAC. Because I has retina disease. One of my deaf friend told me. She told me SSI will stop because they need to get a new job and not use government's money. Deaf people don't need to be lazy and have no job. I think deaf need to be fair to hearing. Hearing people can't get SSI. Some hearing people have SSD because of physical problem. I heard SSI will have no longer. I don't know if it's true or not. :dunno:

Back