Deaf people and SSI

One day, I was laid off from company. We had VW Jetta, Benz and Porsche. Also, high cost to live on property. I had no problem with SSI.

I was out of job for 6 months. I applied over 200 different places still no one call me for job interview. Very very hard to find any job with good salary. Same company re-hired me. They cut down my salary. I am not happy to go back there. Also, hurt my feeling about salary. I think most companies are dirty business to play with workers.

I prefer not remove SSI for the Deaf. I will not agree with your friend's wish. Most deaf people works hard for less salary. Older deaf people will hard time to find job.

Higher risk for Deaf people are over 40 years old. Today is not very good economy. Most company wants downsize or buy out older workers. That's big risk for older deaf people. Many companies will hard to accept to hire deaf worker. We do not want to see many deaf people end up to live on street.

Old Soviet - many deaf people had good live under Communist.
Today, many russian deaf people make poor live without job and welfare. (someone told me about russia). Not want to see happen in the USA.

I was laid off too since 1 year ago and can't find any another job. Also I was not really in mood to work at publications due to the discrimination by other workers and the customers so I just take the goal to save the money to become a farmer..

to the discrimination by other workers ..

Most companies are afraid to hire deaf people. They do not understand about deafness.

10 years ago, the company was very interest me but one thing problem is require to use PHONE if any machines get any problem at night shift. They are not interested on TTY/Relay Service. Kind of slow - not want waste time with relay service.

I see some ADs wrote "Lazy to look for job"
I will not agree "lazy to look for job". Many deaf people did try harder without agent or any help.

Most companies are afraid to hire deaf people. They do not understand about deafness.

10 years ago, the company was very interest me but one thing problem is require to use PHONE if any machines get any problem at night shift. They are not interested on TTY/Relay Service. Kind of slow - not want waste time with relay service.

I see some ADs wrote "Lazy to look for job"
I will not agree "lazy to look for job". Many deaf people did try harder without agent or any help.

Yupp I agree with your first sentence, most of the people have no knowledge how to deal with the deafness, and have to agree with you, it's lack of excuse to say that they were just lazy. If they don't want the job, then they shouldn't talk about the jobs, JMO.

There's some discrimination going on in Miami, Fl. No speak Spainish, no job. It helps to be bilingual.

So hearing people are learning that they can't get a job becuase they do not have a skill needed for the job, not just the deaf. Ha!

That is what a defeatist says. I am Deaf and I have always found jobs on my own with little or no help from OVR. You have to be competitive, learn how to write a resume and sell yourself in an interview.

It's only hard if you make it hard on yourself.

What kind of job do you have , if you mind me asking?

True most deaf can get job but most of the time they are unhappy with their jobs due to many reasons (i.e suffering discrimination, lack of communication, interpreters aren't provide, etc.) I am certain most of deaf people (if they re smart) are using ssi/ssdi to help them alfoat when they get salary that pay more than what they get from ssi/ssdi per month.

SSI or SSDI does not grant you have a well off life. I think whoever is "lazy" will never get anything better going on in his/her life if he/she depends on SSI/SSDI for the rest of life.

im been SSI every years but im still over $600

and also im been out jobs since January for 7 months that no fun for me to search jobs hunting!

i dont think John Mccain should remove SSI check but must kept SSI for deaf people what need for deaf people MUST! when he become president of USA you would suprise!

What kind of job do you have , if you mind me asking?

It doesn't matter what kind of job. I make a livable wage, I'm unionized and I can take free classes as a benefit. It's certainly better than a few other jobs I've had. I can talk to the union as well (which I plan to do) if I feel intimidated or if things aren't going as well.

It doesn't matter what kind of job. I make a livable wage, I'm unionized and I can take free classes as a benefit. It's certainly better than a few other jobs I've had. I can talk to the union as well (which I plan to do) if I feel intimidated or if things aren't going as well.

Glad its going very well for you :applause: Can't say same thing for other deaf who are unfortunately to be in bad situation like my sister and other deaf friends.

My friend who is HOH is looking for a teaching job and he applied to several schools in the area. He wants to work with deaf kids in the public schools so he got called for an interview by one public school that had an opening back in July. He goes to the interview and was told that the school's priority was to hire a teacher by August 25th before the students started. It was teaching oral deaf kids. His hearing loss is pretty mild and he can use spoken English pretty well. Can talk on the phone and everything. He said all was going so well during the interview until the principal saw that he wore a hearing aide and she made a face and said "You arent deaf arent you?" He said that he has a mild hearing loss and then after that, the attitudes of the interviewers changed with him like becoming cold and very uncomfortable. At the begining of the interview, before they found out that he was HOH, they said that he was their best candidate ..well, guess what? After the interview, they told him that they will let him know around Sept 12th. He asked why a nd they said that they want to call two more people for an interview.

He was confused cuz they made a big issue about how well qualified he was, how he was their best candidate and how they MUST have a teacher by August 25th.

Now, they say they will contact him around Sept 12th? He feels he is not gonna get the job cuz of his hearing loss and that they want to keep the job open longer to see if any hearing applicants contact them.

That was why I said "Booo to oral deaf ed" in the other thread the other day cuz I had just been told of this and was very very upset.

Discrimination and my friend may have to apply for SSI if he doesnt get a teaching job since nobody wants to hire him cuz of his hearing loss???? He has 10 yeears of teaching experience, is "highly qualified" by NCLB, and holds 3 degrees. Yet, he may need to get SSI...isnt that shitty?

That is what a defeatist says. I am Deaf and I have always found jobs on my own with little or no help from OVR. You have to be competitive, learn how to write a resume and sell yourself in an interview.

It's only hard if you make it hard on yourself.
You are not them, consider yourself lucky. Many I know of them does not have skill or write well and they can not find job.

My friend who is HOH is looking for a teaching job and he applied to several schools in the area. He wants to work with deaf kids in the public schools so he got called for an interview by one public school that had an opening back in July. He goes to the interview and was told that the school's priority was to hire a teacher by August 25th before the students started. It was teaching oral deaf kids. His hearing loss is pretty mild and he can use spoken English pretty well. Can talk on the phone and everything. He said all was going so well during the interview until the principal saw that he wore a hearing aide and she made a face and said "You arent deaf arent you?" He said that he has a mild hearing loss and then after that, the attitudes of the interviewers changed with him like becoming cold and very uncomfortable. At the begining of the interview, before they found out that he was HOH, they said that he was their best candidate ..well, guess what? After the interview, they told him that they will let him know around Sept 12th. He asked why a nd they said that they want to call two more people for an interview.

He was confused cuz they made a big issue about how well qualified he was, how he was their best candidate and how they MUST have a teacher by August 25th.

Now, they say they will contact him around Sept 12th? He feels he is not gonna get the job cuz of his hearing loss and that they want to keep the job open longer to see if any hearing applicants contact them.

That was why I said "Booo to oral deaf ed" in the other thread the other day cuz I had just been told of this and was very very upset.

Discrimination and my friend may have to apply for SSI if he doesnt get a teaching job since nobody wants to hire him cuz of his hearing loss???? He has 10 yeears of teaching experience, is "highly qualified" by NCLB, and holds 3 degrees. Yet, he may need to get SSI...isnt that shitty?

Wow, so sad... :(

Did your friend gets fired or laid off after having ten years experience of teaching?

We will never be equal with hearings so I am for deaf to collect SSI, SSA and SSDI till the hearing people to change their attiude about us.

Did your friend gets fired or laid off after having ten years experience of teaching?

No, his wife got a job transfer and they moved two hours away from where he used to work. He cant afford the time and $$ for the long commute each way.

We will never be equal with hearings so I am for deaf to collect SSI, SSA and SSDI till the hearing people to change their attiude about us.

Honest. I find it to be funny that deaf people themselves complain about other deaf people who are on SSI. Most of hearing I know have no problems with deaf people who depend on SSI.

Honest. I find it to be funny that deaf people themselves complain about other deaf people who are on SSI. Most of hearing I know have no problems with deaf people who depend on SSI.

There was one ADer who made a thread bashing deaf people for collecting SSI...he was a former relay operater. That was probably a year or 2 ago...He said some pretty harsh stuff about how deaf people can rely on SSI to go to college while hearing people have to work to support themselves while going to college..something to that effect.

I got my job lucky because I am smart enough to pass those tests unlikely I have witnessed many other deaf people did not pass those tests so how can any deaf with third or fourth grade education to pass test to get job. They are stuck being at the bottom and they can not help it. I perfer to see them get job but if they did not do well on tests, I don't blame them for sit home and collect SSI, SSA or SSDI.

There was one ADer who made a thread bashing deaf people for collecting SSI...he was a former relay operater. That was probably a year or 2 ago...He said some pretty harsh stuff about how deaf people can rely on SSI to go to college while hearing people have to work to support themselves while going to college..something to that effect.
He can trade his hearing for my deafness. I rather to hear and work than being deaf and being denied by hearings over again and again.

Well some of hearings does have a problem about SSI. Some of my families refuse to talk to me or hang out with me just because I was on the SSI, I tried and tried to explain to them, but they just won't listen to me.. Like if I go to my grandma's house where most of the families go for celebrating, some of them might not tell "hi how are you" to me, just "do you work?" then left me out. That's allright with me, I knew it is their problem that I don't need to waste my time with.

I had to work in order to pay for my college.

I believe most people take issue with others that ABUSE SSI, not USE SSI.

Just to clarify. There are people with legitimate reasons for using that and then there are people who are nothing but lazy with a low self-esteem.

Back