Deaf man arrested for homicide

Fly Free

Reaction score
http://www.morganton.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=MNH%2FMGArticle%2FMNH_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031775376018&path=!news

Homicide suspect jailed

By KERRI L. McFALLS
The News Herald
Monday, May 10, 2004

MORGANTON ‑ Investigators hope finger prints or dental records will help positively identify the woman found dead on the back porch of an apartment on West Union Street on Saturday evening.

Morganton Department of Public Safety Capt. Scott Kerley said the victim, who had no form of identification on her, had been deceased for several days.

Christopher Robert Lambert, 35, who lives in the apartment where the body was found, was charged with second-degree murder on Monday, Kerley said.

Martin Raymunedo-Mendoza, a neighbor of Lambert's, said when he walked by the apartment Friday evening he detected something strange.

"I could smell something," Raymunedo-Mendoza said. "It was very bad. When I came back after 10 (p.m.) I could still smell it."

Raymunedo-Mendoza said he thought an animal died near the apartment building. He did not know the victim or the suspect.

Officers found the woman's body wrapped in blankets and dark-colored plastic bags, Kerley said.

"She had multiple stab wounds according to the preliminary autopsy report," Kerley said. "But to say that was the cause of death, I can't say that right now because we don't have the full medical examiner's report back yet."

On Monday, Lambert, who made a first appearance in District Court, used a sign language translator to communicate with the judge and to request a court-appointed attorney.

Kerley said Lambert, using a relay phone system for the hearing impaired, called 911 around 5 p.m. on Saturday saying that he thought he had killed someone and needed help.

"According to the officer who arrived on the scene, they were met at the door by him (Lambert)," Kerley said. The officers reported that when Lambert came to the door he stuck both arms out in front of him as a signal to be handcuffed.

Hollie Paden, who also lives in the apartment complex, said that Lambert only had been living in the building for a few months, and she had little contact with him.

"The only time I've really talked to him was when he came down here and asked for a cigarette," Paden said.

Lambert is being held at the Burke-Catawba District Confinement Facility under a $100,000 bond.

Kerri L. McFalls can be reached at (828) 437-2161, Ext. 26, or by e-mail at kmcfalls@morganton.com

© 2004, Media General Inc. All Rights Reserved

yep...doesn't matter who it would be...it would be deaf, blind, black, white, young, old, short, tall, etc...ANYONE who can commit a murder.

So they say that she was in an abusive relationship which is pretty depressing to hear that, but I suppose he deserves jail time for that though.

I have posted up some information about this.
Deaf man kills girlfriend
More or less the same information as shown here, but there's two new facts I was able to gather. The first is that Lambert is now being charged with first degree murder.

The second is to confirm what people have guessed.
The cops aren't saying yet, but it apparently is Tallie Antolin, as her obituary has been printed.
Does anybody here know her well? It would be nice to have some kind of tribute to her published.

Wish she sought help in the first place....
I first heard about her death yesterday.. it just hit me hard.
Ugh. Will talk more when I feel up to it this weekend.

yea it was such a shock to me cuz i had known the guy from high school and seemed to be so out of character of him

Update --

the victim was Tallie Antolin and was Lambert's girlfriend -- looked to be possibly a domestic issue as the motive behind the murder --

this is the funeral information for the victim

http://www.hallwynne.com/obituaries/funeral.asp?PAGE=TallieMarieAntolin

TALLIE MARIE ANTOLIN, 31, 5/7/2004
Miss Tallie Marie Antolin, 31, of Morganton, NC died Friday at her home. A native of Anaheim, CA, she was a graduate of Gallaudet University. Tallie loved working with children and since last August, she had been a Dorm Counselor at the North Carolina School of the Deaf in Morganton.

Surviving are her mother, Carol Barden and her husband Steve both of Durham; her father, Florentino C. Antolin of California; one sister, Teresa Sue Hutchins of Lynchfield, Maine; a brother, Tracy Lynn Antolin of Brownsfield, Maine; maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Jack Hoerauf of Stayton, Oregon and several aunts and uncles.

Funeral services will be held 11: 00 AM Thursday at the Lowes Grove Baptist Church. The Rev. Forest M. Gale, Jr. will conduct the rites.

The family will receive friends in the church parlor following the service.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to The Victory Junction Gang Camp, 311 Branson Mill Road, Randleman, NC 27317, victoryjunction.org

Victim identified as Tallie Antolin

http://www.morganton.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=MNH%2FMGArticle%2FMNH_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031775444994&path=!news

Police release victim's name

STAFF REPORTS
The News Herald
Thursday, May 13, 2004

MORGANTON --- Tallie Marie Antolin has been identified as the woman found dead on the back porch of a West Union Street apartment over the weekend, Morganton Public Safety Detective Crystal Watts said.

Because Antolin had been dead for several days before she was found and because she had no identification on her, it took several days to positively identify her body. The State Bureau of Investigation identified the body through fingerprinting, Watts said.

The medical examiner has determined the cause of death to be stab wounds, Watts said.

Antolin, 31, had worked as a dorm counselor at the North Carolina School for the Deaf since August. She was originally from Anaheim, Calif., according to her obituary. Funeral services were held today in Durham.

Christopher Lambert, 35, of West Union Street, was originally charged with second-degree murder, but he now faces first-degree murder charges in this case. Charges were upgraded on Tuesday due to new evidence in the case obtained from the medical examiner and other interviews, Watts said.

Officers found Antolin's body wrapped in blankets and plastic bags after Lambert called 911 on Saturday evening, Public Safety Capt. Scott Kerley said. Antolin's body was found on the back porch of Lambert's apartment, Kerley said. Lambert used a relay phone system for the hearing impaired to call 911 around 5 p.m., saying he thought he had killed someone and needed help.

The officers who responded to the call reported that Lambert came to the door and extended his arms as if to signal them to handcuff him.

Lambert made his first appearance in District Court on Monday, using a sign language interpreter to communicate. He requested a court-appointed attorney and is being held at the Burke-Catawba District Confinement Facility under $100,000 bond.

--- Melissa C. Manzo

© 2004, Media General Inc. All Rights Reserved
* our Terms & Conditions *

Please DON'T copy and paste newspaper articles. You have to get permission to do this, and usually newspapers charge money to allow it. (around $500 or so).
AllDeaf can get in trouble for this!
Link to the stories.

Bree -- i have been leaving links to the story from the web and for some reason theyre not hyperlinked -- i put them at the top of each post so theres credit thats included to whomever that wrote the story and im not taking credit for them either :confused:

I'm not sure if it the right person I know. Which high school he went? Pls?

Karina said:
I'm not sure if it the right person I know. Which high school he went? Pls?

some people are saying he went to MSSD.

Liza said:
some people are saying he went to MSSD.

In 1988 - I believe because he was in Fly Free's close of classmates in MSSD... she kinda of shock but survier (spell). Everyone has change from school years and world years...

Yes, it was Tallie Antolin who was the victim of Chris Lambert, whom I had never met in person but do recall seeing on the campus of Gallaudet. From what I understood, he was 'bad news'. I had several classes with Tallie and remember her as a very bright and an articulate woman who spent half of her time working at the Information Center established in the Ely Center. And yes,it's true that Chris Lamber was a former MSSD student, and if he had ever been enrolled as a student at Gally, it was for a short duration. However he was well known on campus.
I was deeply sorry to hear of her murder - such a waste. One can only hope that justice will be served to the satisfaction of all involved and that a closure will result in peace for her family and friends.

CF

Liza and CreativeFingers -- yes Chris Lambert went to MSSD -- i knew him in high school -- and CF -- yes he also went to Gally for a while

MizzDeaf is right -- several old classmates IMed me asking if i remmy Chris Lambert and heard of what happened and i always answered yes i remmy him and knew of the case and all of us were very shocked

my condolences go to Tallie's family

Back