Deaf in a tiny community. Seeking friends!

thegreatperhaps

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a 29 year old Deaf gal and currently live in a tiny town in Washington State, I moved vhere about a year and a half ago. The only other Deaf person in town is a 67 year old dude who is really sweet and funny, but... Yeah... I miss being social. So I have turned to the vast wide sea of the internet in the hope of finding friends I can really click with... I'd love people to chat with. I am learning ASL because I am originally from New Zealand. I love to read books and chat about interesting, thought-provoking topics, as well as just generally getting to know other people and what makes them tick. So, here goes :D

Reba you're going to get tennis elbow waving your arm so much. :giggle:

:wave: Hi to our member , how small is your town , I live in a small city.

:welcome:

I don't know which part of the state you are in (west east or central). Seattle or Olympia- Seattle has a big deaf community. Pretty sure Olympia and maybe Tacoma does also.

From NZ to a tiny town in WA, what an interesting journey. :lol:

How far are you from Seattle?

Most deaf people live in big cities like Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, SF, NYC, LA, Miami, Chicago, DC, etc.

If you want to socialize with deaf people often, I'm sorry to say this, you will need to relocate to big city.

It's possible to have a small deaf community in a smaller town rather than a city, but it does sound like it is a really tiny blink and you miss it town lol (really curious where it is too) so don't think one ALWAYS has to relocate to a big city to socialize. If able one can live 10-40 mins away and drive in.

Hi everyone. I'm a 29 year old Deaf gal and currently live in a tiny town in Washington State, I moved vhere about a year and a half ago. The only other Deaf person in town is a 67 year old dude who is really sweet and funny, but... Yeah... I miss being social. So I have turned to the vast wide sea of the internet in the hope of finding friends I can really click with... I'd love people to chat with. I am learning ASL because I am originally from New Zealand. I love to read books and chat about interesting, thought-provoking topics, as well as just generally getting to know other people and what makes them tick. So, here goes :D

similar position two deaf teenage boys and couple of kids...i happen to know seattle has got good deaf community i met some when i was there but was ages ago

I'm in Port Townsend - population of approximately 9,000 we do have a deaf coffee group and sometimes people from nearby towns will drive over and join us. They are mostly much older though. I do go to Seattle on occasion and there is a massive Deaf community over there, but it's kind of a big deal when I have to drive for an hour, then catch a ferry and then drive to wherever I want to be. I have two young kids so it's not always easy. I don't like to sound so negative so now the positive: Port Townsend is a stunningly beautiful place with a lot of awesome, creative people...it really explodes to life in the summer! Come and visit haha...

I plan to do a road trip to Seattle/Vancouver BC this summer. I might stop by Port Townsend on way to North Interstate 5. Is there a ferry that carry cars?

Awesome, haven't been to California but I hope to visit this summer also!
You could go up to Seattle, then Port Townsend, then head north. Let me know when you're thinking of coming through and I can find out if there's any cool events happening :)

I'm in Port Townsend - population of approximately 9,000 we do have a deaf coffee group and sometimes people from nearby towns will drive over and join us. They are mostly much older though. I do go to Seattle on occasion and there is a massive Deaf community over there, but it's kind of a big deal when I have to drive for an hour, then catch a ferry and then drive to wherever I want to be. I have two young kids so it's not always easy. I don't like to sound so negative so now the positive: Port Townsend is a stunningly beautiful place with a lot of awesome, creative people...it really explodes to life in the summer! Come and visit haha...
Ohh awesome. I haven't been there but have been to other local places like Poulsbo, Silverdale and Port Orchard (though my friend tells me it's gone downhill since she left just a few years ago). I am trying to remember where her son goes or went for deaf meet ups (he isn't deaf but on the autism spectrum and does know sign pretty well- has gone to a few deaf events)- probably Seattle mostly but I wonder if the bigger towns on your side might-- like Poulsbo or Silverdale.

Welcome to alldeaf thegratperhaps...
I looooove the pacific northwest. I have lived in white rock b.c. right on border with blane washington...wicked your here...

Last edited:
Ohh awesome. I haven't been there but have been to other local places like Poulsbo, Silverdale and Port Orchard (though my friend tells me it's gone downhill since she left just a few years ago). I am trying to remember where her son goes or went for deaf meet ups (he isn't deaf but on the autism spectrum and does know sign pretty well- has gone to a few deaf events)- probably Seattle mostly but I wonder if the bigger towns on your side might-- like Poulsbo or Silverdale.

There is a coffee group in Silverdale (45 min drive for me) which I attend sometimes. Nothing in Poulsbo as far as I know.

Sent from my LGL34C using AllDeaf App mobile app

Welcome I would live to visit NZ. If you get near Reno NV on your summer trip, let me know. I might do a trip north this summer with my kids. How old are yours? Mine are 6 and 8

Welcome I would live to visit NZ. If you get near Reno NV on your summer trip, let me know. I might do a trip north this summer with my kids. How old are yours? Mine are 6 and 8

Hi southpaw, my kids are 4 and 10. Will do another thread to meet deafies once we decide on our route for summer vacation!

Sent from my LGL34C using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back