Deaf Groupies???

It's the same as when a woman watches a movie about an American woman moving to italy and falling in love with a sexy Italian guy. Then the viewer starts fantasizing about having the same experience and thinking all Italian guys are hot.

I really like that Switched at Birth is bringing deafness out into the open (I know I would have really enjoyed watching that show as a kid and would be hoping some of my hearing friends and classmates were watching it too) and in a way, I think this overrides some of the side effects such as hearing people coming here by the droves wanting to meet us because of some misconceptions they got. At least they're coming here and we can help correct some mistaken views and hopefully more hearing people will be educated as a result.

On the other hand, hearing people coming here and telling us we need an attitude adjustment after reading threads like "annoying hearing people stories" - makes me want to tell them to butt out and shut up. Until they're personally experienced deafness themselves, they have no business telling us how to think, feel, behave and act.

very true! and Swicthed at Birth is a good show, dont get me wrong BUT it bothers me how many people watch and all want to hear "emmett" speak. I went on fan page on facebook and almost every post was about wanting him to speak, or for something to change or something.

and yea, I dont like when hearing people tell me how to feel or act, it is insulting and rude of them. Would they tell someone of another culture how to worship or try to change their beliefs?

Why do hearing people think they are above us and have that right?

I was having problems with my school disability support doing stuff like this and makes me very mad.

Its one thing when people want to learn sign because they want to communicate with you...but ive noticed since switched at birth SO many people want to date a Deaf person, make it like a prize or a fetish...either way it is creepy. THEN you have the honest people that are learning signs but come here to quiz us and pick us apart on various views...Im just not really sure. It is weird and It bothers me that people want to be friends with or date a Deaf person as a prize.

I have not watch the show but based on what I read here I can only understand why new 'groupies' come on board.

I don't want to feel like some kind of circus freak and that's how it feels with some of the new posters.

I think many posters here are, how do you say, wary? about new posters who register. I feel bad for the legitimate newbies.

I think many posters here are, how do you say, wary? about new posters who register. I feel bad for the legitimate newbies.

A lot of people here are weary of new people for reasons that I am not sure you are aware of. It is for the same reasons that are discussed here, but a lot of members have been hurt by other members here faking things that REALLY hurt everyone here... So when someone new pops up, the guard goes up. Its just them protecting themselves but the weird ones usually out themselves or they dont stick around long, the legit people usually stick around....

one time i was at mall. one old lady was giving me abc card i told her no thanks but she didn't know I was deaf cuz she thought I was hearing lol I was soo good at acting hearing til she leaves and I talk to myself. wtf... :laugh2:

Darn, I had a completely different image in mind when I saw the thread title, "Deaf Groupies" :naughty: ... oh well. :lol:

Since i am hoh. I have had people at work telling me to teach them sign language ..... which I dnt know it to welll.. all I know is the alphabets.... they would cum to me and try to sign and ask me all these questions... Verry weird..... I wanted to tell them to get away from me... but I was nice about it..... so yes I quess there are deaf groupies.

I was at lunch one day with my son and family. There was a group of people sitting at a table signing. When I walked by, I signed "hello" and we started a conversation. Turns out they were all hearing from the Mormon Church. They learned how to sign to connect with those who are Deaf and convert them into the Mormon religion.

Needless to say, I was offended and found it to be disgusting. They learned ASL for all the wrong reasons.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

It's one thing to talk to church goers and another thing to be hit on because you're deaf. The two situations are not comparable and you know it. The former is uber creepy.

Last edited:
I was at lunch one day with my son and family. There was a group of people sitting at a table signing. When I walked by, I signed "hello" and we started a conversation. Turns out they were all hearing from the Mormon Church. They learned how to sign to connect with those who are Deaf and convert them into the Mormon religion.

Needless to say, I was offended and found it to be disgusting. They learned ASL for all the wrong reasons.

I might have to think on this a bit more but.... my first thought is: Wow, it's good that they are interested in learning a foreign language to share what they believe in. How better to connect with someone than through a native language. There are many hearing folks that learn ASL in their church.

Personally, I am not too concerned about *why* someone learns ASL. Once they learn the language, we can help them open up to the world that we live in.

I am a really confident man. I totally feel comfortable telling someone I have no interest in discussing their religion. I have spent time chatting with Mormons just for the sake of chatting (last time was in S. Korea in Korean Sign Language). So, if they learn ASL to bring me the word of God (or some version of it), more power to them. Later when they find themselves taking orders at the local McDonalds, they will be able to finally ask me in sign "do you want fries with that?"

I might have to think on this a bit more but.... my first thought is: Wow, it's good that they are interested in learning a foreign language to share what they believe in. How better to connect with someone than through a native language. There are many hearing folks that learn ASL in their church.

Personally, I am not too concerned about *why* someone learns ASL. Once they learn the language, we can help them open up to the world that we live in.

I am a really confident man. I totally feel comfortable telling someone I have no interest in discussing their religion. I have spent time chatting with Mormons just for the sake of chatting (last time was in S. Korea in Korean Sign Language). So, if they learn ASL to bring me the word of God (or some version of it), more power to them. Later when they find themselves taking
orders at the local McDonalds, they will be able to finally ask me in sign "do
you want fries with that?"

LOL. I understand your point. I just felt it was a bit deceitful- especially considering the fact that it didn't come out that they were hearing until the end of the conversation.

very true! and Swicthed at Birth is a good show, dont get me wrong BUT it bothers me how many people watch and all want to hear "emmett" speak. I went on fan page on facebook and almost every post was about wanting him to speak, or for something to change or something.

and yea, I dont like when hearing people tell me how to feel or act, it is insulting and rude of them. Would they tell someone of another culture how to worship or try to change their beliefs?

Why do hearing people think they are above us and have that right?

I was having problems with my school disability support doing stuff like this and makes me very mad.

Let's try not to generalize Shoshana. I see where you're coming from, but not all hearing people are like that. There are even people who have no experience with deafness, who understand that the inability to hear and/ or speak doesn't change their level of intelligence or make them less than.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

It's one thing to talk to church goers and another thing to be hit on because you're deaf. The two situations are not comparable and you know it. The former is uber creepy.

I'm not sure I'm understanding... Can you clarify?

I agree it's weird for someone to hit on someone because they are deaf, but I do think it's weird to pretend like you're Deaf to lure people in...

Let's try not to generalize Shoshana. I see where you're coming from, but not all hearing people are like that. There are even people who have no experience with deafness, who understand that the inability to hear and/ or speak doesn't change their level of intelligence or make them less than.

You're speaking from first hand experience as a deaf person?

What's wrong with generalizing the fact that most of the hearing world doesn't know that much about deafness, it's generally true.

Yes, there are exceptions but not so much as to make a general statement untrue.

Generally.

Shoshana- I realize I was "telling you how to act" which is what bothers you.

I'm sorry!!!!!!

But, it pains me to read something like that... But I retract my last post where I responded to your comment. I do hope though, that you know we are not all like the "ignorant hearing people".

Csign, you were serious. I thought that you were being sarcastic. I didn't follow your train of thought there. Must be fuzzy brain today. Sorry.

Deaf people are always being recruited for religion. One local church here offered women spa treatments at a fancy place to get them to visit a deaf religious group. I'll hide the church name to protect the guilty. I thought that it was creepy. I would feel so uncomfortable in that situation.

eh? why would you be offended?

it's no different from Church groups learning foreign languages to go to other country for humanitarian purpose and also to "connect with those" to convert them.

LOL. I understand your point. I just felt it was a bit deceitful- especially considering the fact that it didn't come out that they were hearing until the end of the conversation.

You make a good point. I do agree that there are a number of churches that consider deafness a sin and they need to bring those "poor deaffies" in to save their souls. :eek3:

I say, thanks, but I have a personal relationship with God, and he has absolutely no problem with my deafness! :ty:

Back