Deaf Churches...where are they hiding?

I was born and raised Catholic, but I don't believe that BS that a human, even if priest, bishop, or Pop can "Absolve you of your sin". Sorry, that don't fly with me. To me, only God can forgive sin.

The last few years I've been leaning more towards "Church Of Christ".

Another resurrection of old threads-Deaf churches! Not a "hot topic" over the last 2 years.

Another resurrection of old threads-Deaf churches! Not a "hot topic" over the last 2 years.
That's because religious discussions in general are discouraged by the forum rules.

I realize right away the forum's rules-no religious discussion. I am not sure if theology has ever been "split" into "hearing or Deaf".
Probably "locked" shortly.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Religious discussion is different than a query into finding a specific dhh service.

It's always been acceptable to ask "do you know where I can find a d/hh friendly ...." Be that school, dentist, dr, place of worship etc.

To deafCHL - there are a number of weekly live/streamed or recorded services online. Also contacting your denominations diocese/synod is a good way to find out what services are available locally. Also sontact your school for the deaf, or deaf community they should be able to get you in touch with a place that works for you.

If you're into mega churches, you can likely call /email one up directly and ask if they have interpreters, or would be willing to get them. Most have a massive budget and can easily provide 'terped services on request.

As a HOH person, whose hearing aids no longer help much in hearing sermons, or attending services with a lot of verbal stuff, I follow my own religious practices mostly as a solitary, with meditation and t'ai chi practices. I tried a couple of places for whom I felt an affinity, but they couldn't afford CART, nor an ASL interpreter for that matter, so I found that going my own way suited me best.

I think that this is a very healthy discussion that should not be banned. Worship is important to many people. Thanks to those brave enough to participate.

My post originally was in more detail about my particular experiences & path, but after reading some of the other posts above, I deleted it and made it short. :)

My church provides interpreters for all services, if requested. We aren't paid to interpret.

Well - I have come to the decision that I will not be attending church anymore. I still believe, but being total deaf and not understanding enough ASL for the deaf church to benefit me, and also being total deaf and not being able to follow along in a hearing church, what do I do? I had been sitting and reading in my bible and such. I decided that with the rising gas prices, I would stay home and do my study at home. If I have questions, I have at least 20 people to whom I trust from all different religions and beliefs that I can ask and get instruction by way of email.

Well - I have come to the decision that I will not be attending church anymore. I still believe, but being total deaf and not understanding enough ASL for the deaf church to benefit me, and also being total deaf and not being able to follow along in a hearing church, what do I do? I had been sitting and reading in my bible and such. I decided that with the rising gas prices, I would stay home and do my study at home. If I have questions, I have at least 20 people to whom I trust from all different religions and beliefs that I can ask and get instruction by way of email.

I used to just sit up in the loft and worship in my own way. keeping to myself to just pray, meditate and reflect in my own way.

now, I do not believe anymore.... :|

Yesterday, I went to an indoor Flea Market and ran into a friend I had not seen in a long time...we sat at the Food Court and ate a sandwich and just talked....the discussion of Church came up...She asked if I was going to Church, and if I was, what Church?....I told her not at the present time I was not, I had my own reasons.....

She told me that at the Church she had been attending, the Preacher encouraged all the deaf members to "confess" anything they needed to talk about....one woman told the Preacher in private, that a male member had raped her.....and ALSO, 5 other women came and said the same thing.....

The Preacher told the male member that he was not welcome in that Church....and he needed to get married...since the male member said he was "sorry" but he was just "horny"....The Preacher told the male member that before he could come back to Church, he had to tell the women that he raped that he was sorry and beg for forgiveness......Then he would be allowed to come back to Church Services.....

NO WORD of anyone calling the Police to report this!....And to my knowledge, the Preacher was not of Catholic faith, he was a Baptist.....So that male member is....on Sunday's....sitting right there in Church....a FREE man....after raping 5 women in that Church....

It boggles my mind!...An unspeakable act!....and has deeply disturbed me also. It's what you would call a "serial rapist"...but he still walks the streets!

Yesterday, I went to an indoor Flea Market and ran into a friend I had not seen in a long time...we sat at the Food Court and ate a sandwich and just talked....the discussion of Church came up...She asked if I was going to Church, and if I was, what Church?....I told her not at the present time I was not, I had my own reasons.....

She told me that at the Church she had been attending, the Preacher encouraged all the deaf members to "confess" anything they needed to talk about....one woman told the Preacher in private, that a male member had raped her.....and ALSO, 5 other women came and said the same thing.....

The Preacher told the male member that he was not welcome in that Church....and he needed to get married...since the male member said he was "sorry" but he was just "horny"....The Preacher told the male member that before he could come back to Church, he had to tell the women that he raped that he was sorry and beg for forgiveness......Then he would be allowed to come back to Church Services.....

NO WORD of anyone calling the Police to report this!....And to my knowledge, the Preacher was not of Catholic faith, he was a Baptist.....So that male member is....on Sunday's....sitting right there in Church....a FREE man....after raping 5 women in that Church....

It boggles my mind!...An unspeakable act!....and has deeply disturbed me also. It's what you would call a "serial rapist"...but he still walks the streets!

He needed to "get married"? He had to apologize to the women before allowing to come back??? AND this "Preacher" didn't report to the police what happened????? Sorry, but that's just wrong on so many levels.

that scumbag belongs in prison.

Totally agree with that, CC.....and for the life of me, I cannot figure out "why" it was not reported to the Police....5 women!...They are Deaf....He is Deaf....and 56 years old.

why don't the victims join forces and go to the cops?
that just sucks this scumbag is getting away with it....

That's odd that not even one woman reported the rape to the police or to a rape crisis center. It's also odd that the women would still want to attend the same church that the perp attends and have to see him every week. That's really sad for the women. :(

The pastor's advice to the man is really bizarre.

If the meetings with the pastor were private, how did the one woman find out about the other four women? How did she know what the pastor said to the rapist?

This whole situation is creepy and strange.

why don't the victims join forces and go to the cops?
that just sucks this scumbag is getting away with it....

I don't know why they didn't and why they don't report it....but I do know there are more rapes than have been reported....my guess is the embarrassment...but to my way of thinking, the Preacher should have encouraged these women to report it, as I believe the women would have listened to the Preacher....to me, this Preacher sounds very manipulative.

Back