Deaf Churches...where are they hiding?

Your local deaf and hard of hearing service center, the one that usually tell you about the latest deaf clubs and such, usually list deaf churches on their site. Go check it out.

Bott, I know what you mean by compromising. Not worth fighting over the color of church carpet type of thing. Or certain beliefs where one person felt led by the Holy Spirit that is the right thing to do even though some people thinks this apply to everyone (certain musics, certain clothes, etc.) Even pastors who feel led to preach about it. You are going find churches you disagree with whatever you go. If you can agree with him at least 80% of the time, some things are not worth leaving unless you disagree with the fundamental belief of that church (Christ died for our sins and such)

oh and btw, I'm Lighthouse77, and I cancelled my email (without thinking- I didn't think about the account I signed up with it) so I couldn't get my password retrieve.

I believe that I have posted about the First Baptist Church earlier in this thread. My roommate that I mentioned earlier in this thread was raised Catholic. There were no Catholics churches that had services for the deaf in the Richmond area so she went to the First Baptist church in Richmond. I don't know if it's true anymore that there are no services for Deaf Catholics in Richmond nowadays.

There are no Deaf services for Deaf Quakers in Richmond to my knowledge so the Deaf Quaker that I mentioned earlier in this thread went to First Baptist instead. Her daughter who is hearing goes to the Quaker church.

Southern Baptists makes up the largest denomination for the Deaf. Not all Deaf/deaf were raised Baptist though.

In short, choices as to where to worship can be quite limited for the Deaf. If you can hear, you can just change churches and not worry about missing out on what is being said. Deaf don't have that choice.

Maybe the difference is the teachings in the church. My religon teaches that while there is beauty and truth in all churches, God has reveled his one true gospel, and my church is it. Therefore, if you attend another church you would not be being taught the truth. I suppose if you believe that all churches basically teach the same thing, it would be fine.

DS, our local deaf church is Southern Baptist. I have issues but they are our local deaf church (the only one!). The ministers are very kind. I feel like Botti does. Deaf comes first. I've never put much emphasis on dogma anyway.

Maybe the difference is the teachings in the church. My religon teaches that while there is beauty and truth in all churches, God has reveled his one true gospel, and my church is it. Therefore, if you attend another church you would not be being taught the truth. I suppose if you believe that all churches basically teach the same thing, it would be fine.

I'm afraid you have missed the point of my post.

She means: take what you got.

yes, deaf people do not have a choice. It is either no church or some church.

She means: take what you got.

yes, deaf people do not have a choice. It is either no church or some church.

I guess I don't understand. My church provides services in hundreds of languages all over the world. That includes many minority languages in places that have populations that would support it. If they do not have a service in the language that you use, they will gladly provide interpreters for you at your request. Is this not the case in other churches?

you need to live in other towns once a while. And not everyone is a Mormon.

you need to live in other towns once a while. And not everyone is a Mormon.

I know not everyone is LDS, that is why I am asking the question. I have not lived in Utah for my entire life. I grew up in Ohio, until I was 18. I have also lived in several cities in Georgia and in El Paso. I am certainly not naive about the LDS church and it's presence in other places. It is not just in Utah that we have Deaf services, we have greater than 60 Deaf wards in the US.

Why do you suppose that a deaf person would want to go to a hearing church with an interpreter? A church is a community and a hearing church with an interpreter can't provide community.

some church preach how sad it is to be deaf, so yep some people do not want to go to a hearing church. they want to go to a church they can relate to from their prospective. Also, smaller churches do not have interpreter in hand, but I do see that growing.

Why do you suppose that a deaf person would want to go to a hearing church with an interpreter? A church is a community and a hearing church with an interpreter can't provide community.

To me a church is about God and the truth about eternal questions. I wouldn't trade what I believe to be the only true gospel for a sense of belonging, but that is just my perspective, so to each his own.

Yes, that's why there are so many churches, synagogues and mosques. Wish more of them were deaf, though.

some church preach how sad it is to be deaf, so yep some people do not want to go to a hearing church. they want to go to a church they can relate to from their prospective.

I'm sure it irks some deaf to no end. It certainly irks me so much that I'd not want go to a church like that if I were a Christian.

Last edited:
I'm sure it irks some deaf to no end. It certainly irks me so much that I'd not want go to a church like that if I were a Christian.

not all of them are like that. very rare case. but most of them do preach from hearing prospective, like telephone, hearing , music, etc.

not all of them are like that. very rare case. but most of them do preach from hearing prospective, like telephone, hearing , music, etc.

Yes, I know. Too many hearing take their hearing for granted.

I've even had hearing people hand the phone over to me after I told them I can't hear on the phone.

I do better with cell phones but they have to be m4 t4 and with speaker phones for me to do with them.

Hubby and I have been talking and we may try the Baptist church. I'm thinking he had some mis-conceptions about their belief's. I am mostly adaptable so we will see. The Catholic churches in this area use incense at every service and I can't do that - I am really allergic to that.

An old high school friend posted on my FB account that her church has a deaf service or at least an interpreter for the service. I have asked her which church. She is still in this area of West Palm Beach.

Pastor came by today to check in with me. I explained my concerns and issues and he understands. He did say that these ladies will not be doing the music anymore as there were over 50 complaints to him this morning. Also, he will be sending me, by email, his sermon notes and any Power Points he does. That at least will help.

50 complaints? That must have been some bad music. lol

Back