Deaf children's parents must decide on surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magatsu said:
You and I have same beliefs & opinions. If I have a child, I'd refuse to let any doctors or physicians to perform the CI surgery on my child until my child is old enough to choose whatever they want best for themselves. It is not right for me to enforce my opinion or my belief on my child. IMHO, it is immoral. I know for sure if my mother did that to me when I was young, I will be very very pissed off.

But as for other parents and their own child(ren), it is their business to perform CI surgery on them or not. If and when there is a law that require us to let the doctors to perform the CI surgeries on our child(ren), I will move out of here immediately. No person on this earth and God/Jesus can force their beliefs/opinions on my child until she/he is old enough to make decision and take the responsibility for her/his action(s).

Everyone has the right to their own opinion.

If C.I. was available when I was young and my parents did not choose to help me, I would be very very pissed off. You enforce your beliefs and opinions on your children every day by trying to bring them up as morally and honest as you can. Just by talking with your children you are always trying to instil a sense of honour, well being, caring, loving, understanding, etc in your children.

You would not be human if you didn't. Everyone does what they believe is their very very best for their children. People do make mistakes but they will learn and constantly improve from this. As I said earlier you are legally responsible for your children so you must make some decisions for them. One of the greatest decisions is to bring a child into the world in the first place and it only gets tougher from there. Maybe you should consider waiting till the child is old enough and ask them if they want to be born!!!!!!

This could go around in circles but we have to respect everyones right to their own opinion.

Tamara said:
Hey, I don't know if its the same in America as it is in Australia but here Parents are legally responsible for their children until they are 16.

So if you choose C.I. at 2 or 3 or 7 it is still the parents choice or responsibility!!!!! :confused:

*I am confused*

What does parents responsibility has to do with having a child get a CI? It is not required for a child to get a CI, It was actually the parents call to decide that for a child.

Let me give you a off topic statement, Ok When I was 16 My parents wanted me to have an abortion, because I was too young to have a baby. They force me to get an abortion and I had no choice to get one. I was really upset at the facts that My Parent forced me to have an abortion Does that mean a Parent know what is best for their children? Even through I wasn't happy with having an abortion. There was other options to have it done the other way like giving it up for adoption instead of abortion but they choose abortion. It's the same way with Parents making choice for a child when it comes to CI, When it involved the child's life meaning the child will be the one wearing the CI not the Parent, Why should a Parent play a big role in the child's life without discussing it with a child. :D

Tamara said:
Hey, I don't know if its the same in America as it is in Australia but here Parents are legally responsible for their children until they are 16.

So if you choose C.I. at 2 or 3 or 7 it is still the parents choice or responsibility!!!!! :confused:

Medically and physically and educations Parents makes decision yes until they are about 16-18 yrs old depend on which state I believe...

Wendy

Tamara said:
Everyone has the right to their own opinion.

If C.I. was available when I was young and my parents did not choose to help me, I would be very very pissed off. You enforce your beliefs and opinions on your children every day by trying to bring them up as morally and honest as you can. Just by talking with your children you are always trying to instil a sense of honour, well being, caring, loving, understanding, etc in your children.

You would not be human if you didn't. Everyone does what they believe is their very very best for their children. People do make mistakes but they will learn and constantly improve from this. As I said earlier you are legally responsible for your children so you must make some decisions for them. One of the greatest decisions is to bring a child into the world in the first place and it only gets tougher from there. Maybe you should consider waiting till the child is old enough and ask them if they want to be born!!!!!!

This could go around in circles but we have to respect everyones right to their own opinion.

Sorry, I'm disagree with you.

Cheri said:
*I am confused*

What does parents responsibility has to do with having a child get a CI? It is not required for a child to get a CI, It was actually the parents call to decide that for a child.

Let me give you a off topic statement, Ok When I was 16 My parents wanted me to have an abortion, because I was too young to have a baby. They force me to get an abortion and I had no choice to get one. I was really upset at the facts that My Parent forced me to have an abortion Does that mean a Parent know what is best for their children? Even through I wasn't happy with having an abortion. There was other options to have it done the other way like giving it up for adoption instead of abortion but they choose abortion. It's the same way with Parents making choice for a child when it comes to CI, When it involved the child's life meaning the child will be the one wearing the CI not the Parent, Why should a Parent play a big role in the child's life without discussing it with a child. :D

Good point.

That's an exactly what I rather to let my children to have their choice either they want or not. I support my children no matter what.

My children will hate me when I force them something what they don't want.

Tamara
It's parent decision is children education etc and risk life surgery, but not "comestic" surgery or forcing surgery like what Cheri said in her post.

Tamara said:
You enforce your beliefs and opinions on your children every day by trying to bring them up as morally and honest as you can. Just by talking with your children you are always trying to instil a sense of honour, well being, caring, loving, understanding, etc in your children.

You would not be human if you didn't. Everyone does what they believe is their very very best for their children. People do make mistakes but they will learn and constantly improve from this. As I said earlier you are legally responsible for your children so you must make some decisions for them. As I said earlier you are legally responsible for your children so you must make some decisions for them.
Um, discipline and teaching about responsibility is NOT enfoce your beliefs & opinions on children. Perform an CI surgery on your kid WITHOUT their approval (by that, I mean old enough to understand what, why and how PLUS knowing the cons and pros about CI) is totally immoral. To kids, parents are their 'God', they trust their parents completely and expect them to do whatever they think it is right for them. Kids have many different adults to offer their opinions (parents, teachers, coaches, policemen, etc etc...) hence they have been stimulated by different opinions, that's how it will define them, their characters, their personalities, etc

Important note: expect them to do whatever they think it is right for them

I studied the child psychology, behaviors, etc etc for my work at deaf school sometimes ago. I believe I know what I am talking about. Now about that note, you probably don't realize that CI surgery is not temporary effect, it is permanent effect. It will alter their psychology for good or bad, you don't know what will your child(ren) think, feel or whatever once you allow the doctors to perform the CI surgery on them without their approval (read my definiton of approval above). Again, they expect you to do whatever you think it is right for them... They accepted based on one-sided opinion, named, yours.

Correction: You would not be human if you did.

One of the greatest decisions is to bring a child into the world in the first place and it only gets tougher from there. Maybe you should consider waiting till the child is old enough and ask them if they want to be born!!!!!!
Maybe you should consider waiting until you finally acknowledge the reality and ask yourself if you and your lover are responsible enough to not impose your desire & beliefs on your kid when you guys bring a kid into the world.

To me, it is like giving a car key to 8 years old kid and tell that kid to drive away and be free in a dangerous traveling equipment a.k.a. car in the freeway. That's how one-sided opinion is.

I am still stand with my statement, it is immoral. It is permanent effect unlikely others. It is not life-saving decision. It is strongly based on parent's DESIRE. Not opinion. Not life-saving. Not belief. Not so-called 'increase its life quality'. It is plainly desire. I met many CI vitcims who cursed their parents for CI surgeries. That's when I realize that I don't want to impose my desire on my kid until he/she is old enough to make their own decision and take the responsibility for their actions. Thanks to these CI victims for giving me an opportunity to see the effects on kids who have no choice but accepted their parents' desire.

I am entitled to my opinions as much as you are entitled to your opinions. Nothing more or less than that. If you want to have doctors to perform CI surgery on your kid based on your desire, it is your business but you will need to prepare yourself for the consequences. Every decision have its own consequence. That's law.

Anyway, I shared my opinion as what you did in your post. I must admit... I am glad that I have a mom like my mother.. she have enough common sense to not impose her desires, opinions or beliefs on me. She know it is immoral. Thank you, God for giving me a such wonderful mom like my mother.

Last edited:
As a student of Osteopathic University, I have the access to many medical journals. I found this recent article from Germany that our immune system are designed to reject any artificial objects in our bodies. It explained how it will affect us if we implant any kind of artificial objects in our bodies.. like pacemaker, transported organ, etc (included CI).. our immune system will constantly attack it, in other words, our immune system will be permanently weakened as long as artificial or 'foreign' object in our bodies.

Immune system requires the massive enzymes to manufactured in our bodies, enzymes is not unlimited resources in our body. Once enzymes is to be depleted, we will be aging faster than normal and depleted enzymes cannot be restored.

The article explained about people who have the artificial objects (pacemaker, replacement bones, transported organs, etc) in their bodies tend to be aged faster than normal and often to live a short life. They found out by perform the surgeries & enzymes labs. As I said in other topic, every action have its own consequences. Our immune system are not dumb. It simply does not want any artificial or foreign object in our bodies. Cancers often to be formulated from it.

That's why whoever have transported organs must taking the suppression drugs to prevent their immune system from attacking the transported organs. If they did not take these immune suppression drug, they will be die from their own immune systems. Can you find the irony in that?

Anyway, I shared what I learned from the medical article (In fact, many medical & health books/journals mentioned about artificial objects result, enzymes, immune system, etc).

it is not my intention to persuade anyone from considering the CI surgery, it is my intention to share the unbiased facts for anyone to take the cons & pro into accounts.

Last edited:
WBHarley said:
Medically and physically and educations Parents makes decision yes until they are about 16-18 yrs old depend on which state I believe...

Wendy

I don't know about other states but in Ohio it is 18 it say so in my divorce papers....that how I know LOL

I was looking up some web sites about children with CI implants, and I can see that implanting CI on younger children would be more benefical for them, the earliest you could implant your child, the better your child is able to hear more, speak, and develop their language skills....as for myself, I've noticed most of the time I am unable to speak words with clarity ( clearly ) , for an example, when it comes to words that I haven't learned how to properly pronounce after getting help through a speech therapist while I was in school, there are some words now that I might struggle with or don't realize that I'm not saying right and when I can't even say some words correctly, I've noticed that my older son and Roadrunner helps me by showing me how to say these words right.....since I am unable to hear and hear their voices, that is another reason how to look at this, if you are unable to hear quite as well without the use of CI , then how would you be able to learn to speak the words clearly which you haven't heard so often?....

Now, after reading several more information about children with CI, the more I read and learn, the more I think it's better for a child to have an implant during their early years of life, since it will be likely helpful and benefical, especially in developing their language skills....

For myself, I would rather that my parents after they have carefully researched information, ideas and also opinions regarding CI, then I would likely be comfortable with their decision by implanting me with a CI...So for the reason why I am feeling this now is because I wonder what it would be like to hear on the phone, to hear my children ( to hear their laughter and their cute little voices ;) ), also to be able hear the sounds others I see expressing an enjoyment or pleasure with hearing, for example, the waves rolling in on the beach, people talking, songs that others love hearing and etc....I would do the same thing if I had Deaf children because I would want my Deaf children have the best that life can offer!! ;)

I'm sorry Liebling and Cheri, but I do hope you can understand why I changed my view on this....Also it can be a good thing ( in some cases, a very good thing ) when both parents and children could make decisions together, but when there is proof that a child younger than 7 really can truly benefit hearing which will help in the long run ( the language skills, etc. ) and also lead a happier life for each of them....:)

Once again, I'm sorry :(

Last edited:
That is fine ^Angel^ I respect your opinion.

There is also ways to help young children to acquire speech, language, developmental, and social skills If the children are put in the right direction, meaning school education. CI could also do that too. But, how can you know for sure that your child cannot get ahead with hearing aids when you haven't let the child try it out first? If it doesn't work then I have no problem with children getting CI and having Parent supported their decision. I just cannot imaged having a baby wear a small, complex electronic device from CI. That sounds so frighten to me. How would the Parent know that babies show no ability to understand speech through hearing aids? Instead of jump the gun and go get CI, You would never know that your child could understand speech through hearing aids because you never gave it time. If children do not want a cochlear implant, do the parents have the final authority to force them to do so? I am trying to see both sides of the argument. I just still do not get the facts that how would anyone knows what a child can do before getting their CI. It is funny how nobody knows the answer for that question. :dunno:

I also wanted to add that I agree with Magatsu wholeheartly. He has a very good point of view. I just wanted to say that. :D

Cheri,

I read something about that in the CI web site, they have this 6 months to a year of hearing testing trial period, and that when they know whether or not your child will be benefit with either CI or hearing aids, but when a young child lose almost half of their hearing, then CI would be the only choice for them....

CI helps alot more than the use of hearing aids, as far as what I've been reading...

I will look more into this some other time, but right now I have a headache LOL

Edit: Will post a link later

Last edited:
As a student of Osteopathic University, I have the access to many medical journals. I found this recent article from Germany that our immune system are designed to reject any artificial objects in our bodies. It explained how it will affect us if we implant any kind of artificial objects in our bodies.. like pacemaker, transported organ, etc (included CI).. our immune system will constantly attack it, in other words, our immune system will be permanently weakened as long as artificial or 'foreign' object in our bodies.

Magatsu,

I have to correct you. A CI does is NOT rejected by the body. The few cases that we've had with CI is MIGRATION. May want to look that up to be more educated. Ask the CI company for a pamphlet of those cases. It's written in small words including the cases they've had with CI patients. I have never heard of body rejecting CI.

I just still do not get the facts that how would anyone knows what a child can do before getting their CI. It is funny how nobody knows the answer for that question.

No, I answered that question. You have to watch for behavior and place them in therapy with hearing aids. If there is no sign of improvement even with Assistive Listening Devices or they are aquiring really slow in speech or poorly because they can't hear certain sounds, that's when they decide if a CI would be best for them or not. That's when it becomes complicated. It's not easy either way.

as for myself, I've noticed most of the time I am unable to speak words with clarity ( clearly ) , for an example, when it comes to words that I haven't learned how to properly pronounce after getting help through a speech therapist while I was in school, there are some words now that I might struggle with or don't realize that I'm not saying right and when I can't even say some words correctly, I've noticed that my older son and Roadrunner helps me by showing me how to say these words right.....since I am unable to hear and hear their voices, that is another reason how to look at this, if you are unable to hear quite as well without the use of CI , then how would you be able to learn to speak the words clearly which you haven't heard so often?....

Yes, that's what I am saying. For a long time, I was never able to hear the 's'. Therefore, I never pronounced it well. I didn't know. I never knew how it sounded. I had mom show me, but it was a mix when I got it right and when I didn't. 'S' was a strange ghost sound to me. After CI, I had my speech therapy teach me the difference. It's better than it was before. I am sure there are days I miss them or mispronounce it.

It's parent decision is children education etc and risk life surgery, but not "comestic" surgery or forcing surgery like what Cheri said in her post.

CI surgery is a PROSTHETIC device.

Last edited:
Anyway, I shared my opinion as what you did in your post. I must admit... I am glad that I have a mom like my mother.. she have enough common sense to not impose her desires, opinions or beliefs on me. She know it is immoral. Thank you, God for giving me a such wonderful mom like my mother.

I am sure most of the CI children who are happy are glad for having their parents make that decision for them. Everyone has proud parents. Every parent is different as such is yours. Don't forget that. ;)

Here is a website that has a good source of covering up many things about CI if you are interested in reading more. Can read about Meningitis Concerns.

http://listen-up.org/implant.htm

If you see: http://www.listen-up.org is a website all about hearing loss from every device and every insurance, etc, etc info on hearing devices and communication to use with deaf and hard of hearing children.

Here is a a perfect website on Chochlear Implant Myths and Realities.
http://listen-up.org/ci/ci-myths.htm

They have many, many, many stories on children and adults who have received an implant. I don't think there is any about negative experience. I wish there were because I also sought out to read about them, but there were so few. Based on those, I didn't think I was going to be through that experience. It helped to read both sides, but you have to find the negative experience if you want both sides. I encourage it to parents of deaf children including adults for their knowledge.

Listen-Up has a wealth of information on just about everything and anything pertaining to deaf/hoh children :)

My son was born deaf. We are hearing and had no concept of the Deaf community at that time. The doctor suggested CI (7 years ago - my son is now 9). My husband and I did a lot of research and decided against it for the following reasons. I wanted to communicate with my son NOW. The program would require that no sign language be used so that my son could learn how to talk. It involved extensive speech therapy, and I want my son to be a kid - he should be outside playing, not stuck for hours in therapy. Also, any residual hearing he had would be destroyed by the implant, so if it wasn't successful, his hearing aids would be useless - there would be no going back. I have heard of too many failures with the CI (mostly due to the extensive therapy required), to feel good about going with this procedure.

We also wanted our son to grow up with every option available to him - so he could make an informed decision when he got older. We are determined to support him whether he decided to be part of the Deaf community, or get a CI and live in the hearing world. I was not about to make a permanent decision (CI) for him this early in life.

My son is now a happy 9 year old in the 4th grade. My whole family has learned sign language, and my son decided he wanted speech therapy. He feels like he can do whatever he puts his mind to, and he enjoys a challenge - that is why he wanted the therapy. He is smart and very confident. Our decision to embrace his Deafness has really helped him blossom. This was the right decision for my son - he feels empowered. I really don't think he would be excelling like he is, if we had chosen the CI.

That's my two cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back