Deaf and HOH are lucky!

AshleyRenee88

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Ashley. Just here networking and trying to make deaf friends. You guys are lucky not to hear half the crap people say. Anyways, about me...I was taught ASL by my hearing mother as a child. I WAS fluent. We went to a deaf church and had many deaf friends. Then we moved to another state...and that was it. My mom stopped communicating the way I was mostly accustomed to and now I'm just a regular old boring hearing person. I'm 24 years old now, and yes my favorite show is Switched at Birth...and it basically inspired me to re-learn ASL. I'm starting to go to deaf chats at a deaf church this week! I'm so excited!! I've been obsessively studying forgotten skills (such as sentence structures) so I don't look like such an outcast. I hope they all will be patient with me, I'm very nervous. I know that some deaf people are a little impatient. But anyways that's about it. If you'd like to know more about me, or tell me anything I could take into consideration, or simply be a friend...I'd love to chat!!!! Thanks for reading my long paragraph ;)

-Ashley

Hello ashley
Let me be the first to say that being deaf is not being lucky. A bad choice of words you made there. I for one would give anything in the world to be hearing again, even with the crap people put out.

Welcome to All Deaf.

"Lucky" is not the word I would use.

Wirelessly posted

That is like telling a person in a Wheelchair that they are lucky they can't walk, so they don't have to walk up a flight of stairs. Do not take your hearing for granted. I know your comment was not intentional but do think before you comment.

Don't be hard on newcomers. In general, I don't think deaf ferrets or deaf cats will care what they wish they would have heard or have missed out on. They seem to survive just fine. So can humans like me and many of the AD members.

Wirelessly posted

dereksbicycles said:
Don't be hard on newcomers. In general, I don't think deaf ferrets or deaf cats will care what they wish they would have heard or have missed out on. They seem to survive just fine. So can humans like me and many of the AD members.

I know it was not intentional of her. Just giving her advice and teaching her to not take her hearing for granted and to be careful what she say to people. No harm done. Hopefully she will learn from it and not see it as an attack. Because that isn't what we are doing.

Because she is reconnecting with a culture and language she learned as a child, she is the lucky one. Shouldn't take her long to catch up. Perhaps she will become a highly proficient terp!!

As for snide comments made behind one's back, it would be nice to know when they shift into malicious gossip, so something can be done about it.

Wirelessly posted

MCB said:
Because she is reconnecting with a culture and language she learned as a child, she is the lucky one. Shouldn't take her long to catch up. Perhaps she will become a highly proficient terp!!

As for snide comments made behind one's back, it would be nice to know when they shift into malicious gossip, so something can be done about it.

What snide comment, behind whoms back?

I've read many of threads on this site...just want to throw this out there...when people are asking for help or a deaf friend, people responding put the fist negative thing that pops out into their brains into the thread box. Would you do that in real life? Of course not. I like how people magically grow a pair or balls online. I just hope people treat people how other would like to be treated. That's my rant. Have a great day!

Wirelessly posted

What snide comment, behind whoms back?
:hmm:??
Just reflecting on an experience I had some ten years ago, when malicious gossip destroyed my career.

However, people with hearing loss do often get paranoid feelings because of the problem. Very difficult to track down and verify theories.

Wirelessly posted

AshleyRenee88 said:
I've read many of threads on this site...just want to throw this out there...when people are asking for help or a deaf friend, people responding put the fist negative thing that pops out into their brains into the thread box. Would you do that in real life? Of course not. I like how people magically grow a pair or balls online. I just hope people treat people how other would like to be treated. That's my rant. Have a great day!

If you came up and told me that I was lucky that i can not hear. Believe me, I would give you an earful. It amazes me when hearing people come here with a fantasy of deafness, spewing ridiculous comments. And actually wonder why people are not responding to them like they wanted them to.

:( well that sucks. Luckily I don't care what people think about me. People will always be judgmental. I just associate that with low self esteem. Just smile and wave. LOL :wave:

Wirelessly posted

AshleyRenee88 said:
:( well that sucks. Luckily I don't care what people think about me. People will always be judgmental. I just associate that with low self esteem. Just smile and wave. LOL :wave:

Oh dear, People that come here to make comments towards deaf people are the ones with a low self esteem. Shame that some people are just trying to teach and explain to others that it is not polite to doso. It is what it is. People can take it how ever they like. Some people have a lot to learn in general...especially newcomers that have no clue.

Look, if deaf people are offended by my comment, than obviously I don't want a friend that's easily offended. I didn't mean it in a cruel way. If people would like to give me an earful because of that one comment, fine. But don't expect me to take into consideration because I don't listen to people who like to go and make somebody feel small because of an opinion.

Trust me, I was not trying to upset anyone. You got defensive over a comment. I hypothetically called you a prick. It's different.

Back