Deaf and happy ??

Audiofuzzy

Reaction score
Are you happy being deaf? How do you feel about being deaf?

Do you think you would be happier if you could be "normal" ? meaning- all senses, body and health in general intact?
or it doesn't matter?

Fuzzy

:) I am not deaf, but, my parent's were and they were happy that they didn't have to hear my sister and I fight all the time, and also my husband is deaf, and he is happy so he doesn't have to hear me talk so much.

On a serious note, coming from a deaf family, what has made me happy is all the deaf people that my parent's were friends with that I have grown up with. Every Sunday all deaf families would go to Sand Hill Cove Beach and have lots of fun together. Go to Goddard Park for deaf outings. I have so many deaf people in my life, they didn't treat me as an outsider, but as one of them. The deaf that I have grown up with are my second family, and always will be. The memories of my childhood with the deaf, make me very happy because they were all good ones.

Learning deaf culture through my parent's has made me more deafsmart and deafobservant. I was very lucky to be born into a deaf family, and then to marry a very wonderful deaf man. This is where fate has lead me, and I don't regret one single minute of it.

Now, fate has lead me to Alldeaf, and all of you wonderful people here on Alldeaf, who is the happier and luckier one? Me!!!

Thank you :) that's beautiful..

Please keep posting I am being asked can a deaf person be really happy since I am HoH functioning as Hearie I have no arguments. I do know deaf people CAN be happy but I need arguments, please..

Fuzzy

CODAchild said:
I was very lucky to be born into a deaf family, and then to marry a very wonderful deaf man. This is where fate has lead me, and I don't regret one single minute of it.

Sometimes I wish I had normal hearing, but I really don’t sweat it that much. I’m very lucky to have all the residual hearing that I do have—by all rights I should be deaf as a rock. And I’m married to a beautiful deaf woman. I do have one complaint though—I thought that if I married a deaf woman it would be safe to fart in bed. Not so—she can feel the vibrations through the mattress, dammit! :eek: :pissed:

Levonian said:
I do have one complaint though—I thought that if I married a deaf woman it would be safe to fart in bed. Not so—she can feel the vibrations through the mattress, dammit! :eek: :pissed:

ms_2071.gif

Levonian said:
Sometimes I wish I had normal hearing, but I really don’t sweat it that much. I’m very lucky to have all the residual hearing that I do have—by all rights I should be deaf as a rock. And I’m married to a beautiful deaf woman. I do have one complaint though—I thought that if I married a deaf woman it would be safe to fart in bed. Not so—she can feel the vibrations through the mattress, dammit! :eek: :pissed:
:rofl: :rofl: How true that is, that is why I don't eat peanut butter late at night anymore. Strange vibrations in the night!!

You made beautiful post, CODAchild. :hug:

Levonian, you impossible funny :rofl:

Well, I accept my deafness at long time ago. Thanks my parents!!!! ;)

I complaint my parents over my deafness when I was a little girl but my parents took my negatively away and give me positive.

Number one, I never understood the sounds
number two, it has been like this since I got out of my mama's tummy.
number three, I am now over the hill

do you think I would tolerate be able to hear the sounds?
I really don't think so, and if it sure happens I will surely get two M-80s firecrackers between my head and light em both til they kaboom. Then Im back to normal as in deaf world.

I think this answer your question already. Obviously, eh?

Audiofuzzy said:
Are you happy being deaf? How do you feel about being deaf?

Do you think you would be happier if you could be "normal" ? meaning- all senses, body and health in general intact?
or it doesn't matter?

Fuzzy

When I was younger and went to mainstream school, there were times when I was fed up of being deaf and wanted to hear. I felt down about the fact that my friends could hear on the phone, they all had conversations that I didnt understand etc.

But now...I LOVE being deaf! I wouldnt change it for the world, and the reason why is that I got involved in the Deaf culture and made some wonderful friends from there. If I was offered a chance to become hearing, I would turn it down right away, Im not interested in the hearing community as the Deaf community rocks!

Levonian said:

OH MY GOSH LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:giggle: :fart: :rofl:

I'm deaf and happy. I have no problems with it. The only problem is understanding hearing people when they talk. However, I don't let that stop me. I simply pull out a pen and scrap paper, and let that do the talking. :)

I'm happy being hard of hearing.
Living without it, life would be boring. No offense to people that can hear. :)
It's such a part of me that I'd imagine I wouldn't be the same person.
Even though I can't hear people when they talk, I don't really care.
Come to think of it, I never really treated my hearing problem as an actual problem, since I can't get hearing aids, nor had a helper in school.
:)

Why not?

Why should I not be happy for being who I am. Deaf came with a package just alike color of hair, eyes, size of body, she/he, and many list to on.

I am so damn glad I am alive and well and being deaf than being dead and not know what is alike to be alive and free to walk around here on this planet.

I like Jazzy's post! EVERYONE has a handicap of some kind. Everyone! And I would much prefer to be deaf over being unable to read and write.

Everyone has their rock to carry, deafness happens to be our rock. Big deal, we can cope with it!

Lantana said:
I like Jazzy's post! EVERYONE has a handicap of some kind. Everyone! And I would much prefer to be deaf over being unable to read and write.

Everyone has their rock to carry, deafness happens to be our rock. Big deal, we can cope with it!

Lantana echoes my sentiments because I am happy who I am. I am blessed with the ability to write and talk because I was mainstreamed. I can express myself using words and the wonderful ability of literary writing is beautiful when one can do such creative writing. Sitting on your hiney, feeling sorry for yourself and the fact you are Deaf, doesn't help one bit. :)

deafness happens to be our rock. Big deal, we can cope with it!
and it's not THAT big of a deal....God, some people are such IDOITS when it comes to deafness...I remmy a guy IMing me and saying "oh it must be so hard and weird to be deaf"......Umm...no it's not! I have never been able to hear like a hearing person, so I don't miss it!

deafdyke said:
and it's not THAT big of a deal....God, some people are such IDOITS when it comes to deafness...I remmy a guy IMing me and saying "oh it must be so hard and weird to be deaf"......Umm...no it's not! I have never been able to hear like a hearing person, so I don't miss it!

deafdyke, I wouldn't go as far to call people "idiots" because they wonder if it is so hard or weird to be deaf. Remember they have never experienced deafness and vice versa for us, we have never experienced hearing. It's best to educate a person so they can learn from each other, who knows.. they can learn much more from us.

I wouldn't go as far to call people "idiots" because they wonder if it is so hard or weird to be deaf. Remember they have never experienced deafness and vice versa for us, we have never experienced hearing.
Cookie Monster, he didn't say he wondered....he assumed that it was hard...like he was assuming that it was horrible and I live my life as an object of pity.....can't stand those types. I am deaf just the way my friends are Greek, Irish, Italian, Portugese etc.....

deafdyke said:
Cookie Monster, he didn't say he wondered....he assumed that it was hard...like he was assuming that it was horrible and I live my life as an object of pity.....can't stand those types. I am deaf just the way my friends are Greek, Irish, Italian, Portugese etc.....

If I may share a quote with you that a good friend shared with me, "The truth bites you in the ass." When you were IMed and he assumed that being Deaf was horrible and you led a life as "pity object", what he didn't realise is that he had a lot to be educated about the Deaf culture.

Back