Daycare for the Deaf?

Kristina86

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a daycare for deaf/hoh children? I am hearing, however my son is profoundly deaf in both ears and uses ASL to communicate. I am moving to Flint, MI to send him to MSD and was interested in seeing if I might be able to start caring for deaf children in my home because I know I'm forced to stay at home because no daycare can communicate with my son.

Thanks!!!

Welcome Kristina. :) Sorry I don't know an answer to your question but it sounds like you have a good idea. Sounds fun, signing skills will improve and your son will get to socialize with other deaf children. If you decide to do it make sure you check with the state regarding in-home daycare regulations. Good luck with it! :D

its hard to communicate at daycare

when i was young i was stay at daycare and babysitter but its no fun to communicate!!

i am from flint, michigan as well. =D i graduated from MSD in 2002 i am not sure if MSD have daycare =/

Did you attend a hearing daycare??

If you are going to Flint to be by the Deaf School, they are going to have programs in place for very young children.

Your best idea would be to try to get a job as an aide in one of those programs rather than run an in home daycare.

That is assuming that you are a fluent ASL user.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I agree with Botts about having you work as an aide in one of the other daycare programs. You can learn how to set up your daycare in your home later after you learn the rope from the daycare owner, unless if you prefer to work in other daycare programs. Botts have a good suggestion on this one. Try it. Eh? :hmm:

I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

okay. thank you thank you! My son and I went to Michigan School for the Deaf yesterday and he absolutely loved it! he will start soon! I talked with a few teachers in the elementary part and they have no deaf child care programs!! I cannot believe it!

okay. thank you thank you! My son and I went to Michigan School for the Deaf yesterday and he absolutely loved it! he will start soon! I talked with a few teachers in the elementary part and they have no deaf child care programs!! I cannot believe it!

Wow! Maybe you can check what requirements MI has for daycare providers.

Maybe you could even get referrals from the school.

Back