Dating...

OldNavyGirl

Premium Member
Reaction score
What does Dating actually means to you? Does dating mean u're still taken or not taken?? I'm curious of all of your opinions.... :) :popcorn:

Dating would have several meanings. I guess it would depend on how it's used. If I was going with this gal as a couple, I would probably say, "I'm dating her and she's my girlfriend." If I was just going out with this gal as a friend, then I'd probably say, "I'm dating her but nothing serious." :dunno:

Dictionary:

Dating: An engagement to go out socially with another person, often out of romantic interest.

To me, dating means like the dictionary says, to go out socially with another person, to get to know the person, and do fun things together. I tell people that I am taken only when we are offically steady together and take no interest in dating someone else.

The term dating is interpreted by everyone differently so it is hard to give you one just specific definition. It boils down to the couple who agrees on the definition of dating.

A date literally means going out and doing something - to get to know the person better to see if he/she is worth the next date, and so on.

Some examples may be:

Blind dates (eeek have had too many of these)
Dating as friends
Dating as friends with benefits
Group Dating
Dating but not serious commitment and can date others too
Exclusive Dating - means only date each other and make a commitment

I could go on but hope you get the drift.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bootifully said Meg!!! i would say the same thing too -- there are various ways to explain "dating" depending on WHO i was out with at the time

:thumb: Meg!

Yeah, it's depending on what he/she says, as what Meg stated above

Well said Meg! ;)

Meg said:
The term dating is interpreted by everyone differently so it is hard to give you one just specific definition. It boils down to the couple who agrees on the definition of dating.

A date literally means going out and doing something - to get to know the person better to see if he/she is worth the next date, and so on.

Some examples may be:

Dating as friends
Group Dating

Well, last night I met couple who stated that they are dating for a week. I assumed, they were friends but I was wrong. They kissed and squeezed their bodies. Of course, they had sex. I have seen some of people who said, she is my dating woman. He was sleeping with her. I am perplexed and confused.

what does date defination to me ?? Glad, this thread brings up. Just my opinion the date means pleasure as friendship.

If I dated with a guy, I would not go far into the bedroom. I preferred to going out to eat, movie and with other friends as entertainment.

I think, that lady said he is her dating. Obviously, she was not ready for that. I could be wrong.

It depends on each dating couple. Some people who are dating are not actually "couples," but just go out as friends. Now for me, in my situation, I love my boyfriend, I love him with all my heart, so that would mean we are actually couple. Some people are not actually couples but just go as friends nothing more. It depends on each situation. Sorry to brag if it bug you.

I wouldn't know.. Because I date alot of people sometimes as friends or just dating. But, there a time I would ask "what are we?" then I will know from there what we really are. Beside most guy I've dated either we would end up in a realtionship or not.

Meg said:

Some examples may be:

Dating as friends
Group Dating

AMEN!! but also.. dating to me is VERY CASUAL.. just getting to know him.. if we are serious.. id probably say i am seeing him, he is my bf, we are serious about each other, going steady (too highschoolish! lol!) just like my twinie said.. the list can go on!! :P

Date much as you can.. you can pick one and you know which is one for you.. dump all them and conisder them a friends.. keep one for you to date more often with same person

that's simple!

Mostly people think it's a Player thing to do.. i think it's stupid idea for them to think that way

CoolieFroggie said:
Date much as you can.. you can pick one and you know which is one for you.. dump all them and conisder them a friends.. keep one for you to date more often with same person.Mostly people think it's a Player thing to do.. i think it's stupid idea for them to think that way

Coolie, it depends on the couple. Some men/women lie to their dating partner and say the yare not dating other people yet they are. Or some guy or woman might think their partner is really serious about them but that person thinks it is ONLY dating.

Communication is the key. It is important for both person in the dating relationship to know what is their expectations and commitment level.

There are players - these people who date around and not be honest. For example, this guy Bob dates 4 different women. Bob tells EACH woman how special she is, how he is madly in love with her and so on. Each woman thinks she is in an exclusive relationship. That is what a player does.

But another example may is: John took Barb out on a date. John had an OK time and sees Barb as only a friend. But Barb falls in love madly for John and has high hopes. After a date, Barb keeps calling John for another date and keeps thinking that John is a jerk but John has never made any promises. It was just a date.

See how confusing dating can be? That is why I m NOT dating. I give up trying to figure out what Im supposed to say, think or do because most men are not honest with me about their own expectations.

Meg said:
Coolie, it depends on the couple. Some men/women lie to their dating partner and say the yare not dating other people yet they are. Or some guy or woman might think their partner is really serious about them but that person thinks it is ONLY dating.

Communication is the key. It is important for both person in the dating relationship to know what is their expectations and commitment level.

There are players - these people who date around and not be honest. For example, this guy Bob dates 4 different women. Bob tells EACH woman how special she is, how he is madly in love with her and so on. Each woman thinks she is in an exclusive relationship. That is what a player does.

But another example may is: John took Barb out on a date. John had an OK time and sees Barb as only a friend. But Barb falls in love madly for John and has high hopes. After a date, Barb keeps calling John for another date and keeps thinking that John is a jerk but John has never made any promises. It was just a date.

See how confusing dating can be? That is why I m NOT dating. I give up trying to figure out what Im supposed to say, think or do because most men are not honest with me about their own expectations.
Meg,

That's sad. Imagine the other way around? What if he's interested in her and she's not interested? Should he think of her as a jerk?

It seems it's all right for a woman to date several men at once while it's not okay for a guy to date several women concurrently.

oakbluffs said:
Meg,

That's sad. Imagine the other way around? What if he's interested in her and she's not interested? Should he think of her as a jerk?

It seems it's all right for a woman to date several men at once while it's not okay for a guy to date several women concurrently.

I have not heard of that double standard before but it applies to everyone whether its a guy or lady. I would not date more than 1 if it was me because I believe in giving that guy a chance without being affected by another guy. If that doesnt work out, then I move on.

If I go out on a date with this guy I like a lot and would not mind having second date with but he doesnt feel the same, I would never consider him as a jerk. It is just how many people have this unrealistic expectations. You cannot expect everyone to like you or take it so personally if someone doesnt return affections.

That is why Im always impatient when I listen to people griping about that date or whatnot because they need to see reality and stop taking everything SO personally. Dating is a process where we have to weed out until we find that one. It doesnt mean that all these people we meet on our dating journey are horrible or whatnot. We all are seeking THAT one who really makes our heart skip a beat and feel very connected with on a deep level. It is easy to like anyone but it is hard to LOVE anyone.

Meg said:
I have not heard of that double standard before but it applies to everyone whether its a guy or lady. I would not date more than 1 if it was me because I believe in giving that guy a chance without being affected by another guy. If that doesnt work out, then I move on.... I AM LIKE THIS TOO! :thumb:

If I go out on a date with this guy I like a lot and would not mind having second date with but he doesnt feel the same, I would never consider him as a jerk. It is just how many people have this unrealistic expectations. You cannot expect everyone to like you or take it so personally if someone doesnt return affections. YEA.. THATS IS HOW IT IS IN LIFE.. :|

That is why Im always impatient when I listen to people griping about that date or whatnot because they need to see reality and stop taking everything SO personally. Dating is a process where we have to weed out until we find that one. It doesnt mean that all these people we meet on our dating journey are horrible or whatnot. We all are seeking THAT one who really makes our heart skip a beat and feel very connected with on a deep level. It is easy to like anyone but it is hard to LOVE anyone.

i absolutely support you on this one quadrupie!! we ought to call you DR MEGGIE!! :thumb:

well said Meg! :thumb:

i too AGREE communication is the key! if 1 doesnt really like the other, can tell them to remain friends as they can make it known that he/she didnt feel the relationship would develop cuz of whatever reason it might be

Back