Cued Speech: self-taught?

So much info.... so confusing....

I just want to do what's best for him. Geeeeezzzzzz...... too bad you make good points DeafDyke. Now I'm confused. Morse code. Yeah... it is kinda like that, huh?

Someone make a good counterpoint, because my mojo just got messed up. =(

Seems like everytime I feel like I got it all figured out something happens where it's like, "NO YOU DON'T...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!" And boom, the worst. Well, my son being deaf isn't the worst worst worst. But it's still very very new.

CS, no good?

Who knows. I know it's my decision alone. (oh and dad, duh)

Here's a website that has free videos for deaf individuals to rent. They have free videos you can borrow for free and send back for free about Cued Speech.

DCMP.org :: Home :: Media Library :: Browse

I have talked to a couple of successful Cued Speech users who grew up with them to help them with their speech. They seemed to be very grateful for the system that helped them. I am just no longer in contact with them, so I can't refer you to them.

The best way to learn about it is to seek people who know about Cued Speech. Perhaps, meet a few who grew up with it. The only way is to try it.

Well, good luck. I hope you find the support you need.

deafdyke - CS is not like Morse Code. Morse code represents, among other things, the letters of the alphabet. CS is the sounds that these letters make. Huge difference!

If we compare morse with CS, morse is perhaps better because you can use morse in life threatening situations, too, and if the lights goes out in the classroom it's still possible to use.

Morse code will also make sure you are familar with letters in the written language at a fast pace. The changes are also big that you will get more familar with the proper grammars of the written language, as you need to express yourself clearly and strict in morse, somthing people limited to CS only can have problems with.

Also, many more people know morse than CS.

Go morse! Supported by Maglite, Inc.

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
You mean, like sign language....
That also sounds too good to be true..

If, as a hearing parent & family of a deaf child you have the choice between taking 24/7 for a couple of years to master a completely neww (sign-) language, or studying 20 hours and be able to Cue in your own language, Cued Speech would have been my choice.... pitty it doesn't exists in Norway/Norwegian..

Sometimes things that sound to good to be true actually are true...

Fresh2Deaf... go for it...!

CS was developed as a teaching tool for reading and writing. It is a system not a language itself, fyi. Good luck!

So much info.... so confusing....

I just want to do what's best for him. Geeeeezzzzzz...... too bad you make good points DeafDyke. Now I'm confused. Morse code. Yeah... it is kinda like that, huh?

Someone make a good counterpoint, because my mojo just got messed up. =(

Seems like everytime I feel like I got it all figured out something happens where it's like, "NO YOU DON'T...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!" And boom, the worst. Well, my son being deaf isn't the worst worst worst. But it's still very very new.

CS, no good?

Who knows. I know it's my decision alone. (oh and dad, duh)

CS is good as a teaching tool. It is not good as a primary communication devise.

I understand that lost feeling when you first discover that your child is deaf. It is truly an overwhelming experience. Been there, done that. Take your time to weed through the tons of information out there, and please, please, critically analyze what you are told and who is telling you.

The most important thing in the equation is language. Please do not confuse language with spoken language, or even with English. That is a natural way of thinking for hearing parents, as it has always been their experience that language, for them, is spoken language. It is not necessarily so for your deaf child.

I commend you for coming onto a deaf message board to gain the deaf perspective. I can assure you, if you listen to what the deaf/Deaf tell you about their very real experiences, you will learn much that will provide benefit for your son. These experiences are very important, as they illustrate what happens in real life, and in real practice, rather than someone promoting a specific methodology that has never experienced it in a real life situation.

There is a book that you should be able to get your hands on relatively easy. It is called Sound and Sign and is written by two of the premier researchers in deaf education and early childhood development as applied to deaf children. Another is Deafness and Child Development. Both are written by Hilde Schleshinger and Kathy Meadows. The books are older, but still applicable, as the things they discuss hold true today. Child development, despite changes in educational methods, and new methods of language teaching that have evolved, is something that remains consistent. Once you understand the issues of child and linguistic development as it applies to your deaf child, you will be better able to make decisions that will address those needs. Addressing the child's needs appropriately are what helps a child become successful, and to reach their full potential. While these two books contain some technical information, they are written in a manner that any parent should be able to read and understand. I found them both facinating and helpful.

And my last words are to give you hope. Raising a deaf child has been the greatest joy of my life. I am sure you will find it so as well.

You mean, like sign language....
That also sounds too good to be true..

If, as a hearing parent & family of a deaf child you have the choice between taking 24/7 for a couple of years to master a completely neww (sign-) language, or studying 20 hours and be able to Cue in your own language, Cued Speech would have been my choice.... pitty it doesn't exists in Norway/Norwegian..

Sometimes things that sound to good to be true actually are true...

Fresh2Deaf... go for it...!

I'm talking about the "realtively easy to use and learn" comment. It is a comment used by CS promoters that preys on the need experienced by hearing parents to do something that will easily remedy the situation.

And CS has proven to fall into that category of "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is." Evidenced by the few CS users in the United States, despite a 40 year history. ASL on the other hand, has proven it's success and is used by millions of deaf and hearing individuals. The point is, what is easiest is not the question one should be asking. What is the most effective is the question.

I'm talking about the "realtively easy to use and learn" comment. It is a comment used by CS promoters that preys on the need experienced by hearing parents to do something that will easily remedy the situation.

And CS has proven to fall into that category of "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is." Evidenced by the few CS users in the United States, despite a 40 year history. ASL on the other hand, has proven it's success and is used by millions of deaf and hearing individuals. The point is, what is easiest is not the question one should be asking. What is the most effective is the question.
From what I hear, and see, it is "realtively easy to use and learn"...
I agree that it is not widely used.
But signlanguage is a completely different language...

The deaf child needs a communication that relies on visual cues, like signs, or cues..

You said, "What is the most effective is the question." and I agree.
When the future plan is to make it possible for the child to hear, having Cued Speech as a first way of communication will greatly help with listning to the spoken communication, since then the child does not need to learn a new language... it already knows the language, it is just getting "sound" with that what is allready known.

When knowing signlanguage, a new language has to be learned again...

From what I hear, and see, it is "realtively easy to use and learn"...
I agree that it is not widely used.
But signlanguage is a completely different language...

The deaf child needs a communication that relies on visual cues, like signs, or cues..

You said, "What is the most effective is the question." and I agree.
When the future plan is to make it possible for the child to hear, having Cued Speech as a first way of communication will greatly help with listning to the spoken communication, since then the child does not need to learn a new language... it already knows the language, it is just getting "sound" with that what is allready known.
When knowing signlanguage, a new language has to be learned again...

When sign language is learned from the beginning of the child's language acquisition process, is is not a different language. It is the first language. It is only in the hearing parents' case that it would be a second language. We are not talking about what is easier for the parent, we are talking about what is most beneficial for the child.

There is absolutely nothing to support the bolded statement. That is nothing more than an assumption you are incorrectly making.

And yes, the deaf child needs a communication system (i.e. language) that relies on visual representation. English does not. ASL does. Why re-invent the wheel?

When sign language is learned from the beginning of the child's language acquisition process, is is not a different language. It is the first language.
Indeed... it is!
It is only in the hearing parents' case that it would be a second language.
No, it would not be a second language. For the parents Cued Speech would be their first language, just visual. That's what the time to learn it is far shorter than ASL.. a new language..
We are not talking about what is easier for the parent, we are talking about what is most beneficial for the child.
Precisely. And for the child, ASL or Cued Speech makes no difference. For the parents it does.
There is absolutely nothing to support the bolded statement. That is nothing more than an assumption you are incorrectly making.
Really... or just your opinion?
When a child that cannot hear communicates with cued speech, and then is able to hear with CI, the sounds would perfectly fit with the cues... Wouldn't you agree..??

That you don't like Cued Speech doesn't mean it does not work....
And yes, the deaf child needs a communication system (i.e. language) that relies on visual representation. English does not. ASL does. Why re-invent the wheel?
Cued Speech does... Exactly.. why learn a new language when you already have one..

Um, Jillio and Cloggy...

Could you guys take your debate about Cued to another thread, please? This parent came here looking for support and wants to use cued as a tool. Lets not discourage that. Instead, lets encourage this parent to use it in conjunction with other tools, ala the FULL TOOLBOX APPROACH.

Please? Lets try to help this parent; not scare her away from AD.

Thanks. :wave:

CS is not like Morse Code. Morse code represents, among other things, the letters of the alphabet. CS is the sounds that these letters make. Huge difference!
Sigh........Not exactly. I know they represent ways of conveying information.....but it's still basicly a code that while used, isn't in general use.

From my experiences with Cued Speech, I remember it spells out letter by letter through lip reading and hand movement. I learned a whole lot of new words. It also helps me learned to read quickly and easier.

It was a challenge for me to see if it works or not and I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn something different.

From my experiences with Cued Speech, I remember it spells out letter by letter through lip reading and hand movement. I learned a whole lot of new words. It also helps me learned to read quickly and easier.

It was a challenge for me to see if it works or not and I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn something different.
It's not letters that are spelled out. That can be done, and is done, with sign language.
It's sounds that are visualised, in combination with the mouth/lipreading.

For example, you can Cue the sound that something makes hitting the floor.. :). "Splash" would be a word, with Cued Speech it would be a "sound".

From what my sign language instructor explained to me about cued speech (she gave me this information because I was interested in it), it is a system characterized by a set of visibly discrete symbols. Each symbol is the result of pairing a mouthshape with either a handshape or a hand placement. The former distinguishes among consonants and the latter distinguishes among vowels.

From what my sign language instructor explained to me about cued speech (she gave me this information because I was interested in it), it is a system characterized by a set of visibly discrete symbols. Each symbol is the result of pairing a mouthshape with either a handshape or a hand placement. The former distinguishes among consonants and the latter distinguishes among vowels.

HearAgain - May I expand on this for you?

Back