Cued Speech: self-taught?

dreama- Tactilating is Tadoma. You have a choice of feeling the throat or putting your finger on the lips. I feel the throat as the vibrations are more stronger.

Thanks for explaining.
Tactilating and Tandoma are very similar. The only differance is from what I understood was Tandoma was done entirely by feel wheras Tactilating is where a sighted deaf person also reads lips whilst feeling the person's throat.

Do you read the lips by sight or touch?

I neglected to mention that I once asked my sign language instructor about Tadoma and she told me it isn't used very much these days. Do you know if that's true Mrs. Bucket or dreama? I wish I would have had a means to learn it since it can be used in any environment with those who are sighted-hearing.

I also wonder if a person needs to have special training in order to teach a deafblind person Tadoma?

dreama - you are right as both are very similar.

Tadoma is only by lipreading and finger touch the lips. Tactilating is lipreading and hand on throat/cheek. I do tactilating/Tadoma.

I read lips by look and feel vibrations by touch to put words together. Example - sheep/cheap look exactly alike lipreading and when you do Tadoma, you can feel the effect of the tongue when you feel "C" and "S". You can also feel the jawline changing.

I was just so fortunate to be exposed to all kinds of oral methods growing up by my parents when I was mainstreamed. The teachers' approaches left much to be said however I am appreciative I was able to memorise what I learned.

Hear Again - Tadoma and Cued Speech is not really recognised which is really sad in my perspective because they really do help a lot. For me, Tadoma truly helped me in some situations if I could not understand a conversation, I would politely ask the person if I could put my hand on their throat. Some would decline and some are so happy to assist.

It's about mutual respect and personal space as well. I'm not able to whip out my pad and Sharpie because it does take time to write, read and give back/forth.

Surprisingly Tadoma is easy to learn. It's instinct.

Tactile smile!

Thanks for answering my question, Mrs. Bucket. :)

Isn't it true that Helen Keller used Tadoma -- or was that Laura Bridgeman?

Thanks for answering my question, Mrs. Bucket. :)

Isn't it true that Helen Keller used Tadoma -- or was that Laura Bridgeman?

That was Laura Bridgman. I read a lot about her and was so surprised that a lot of educators preferred to use Helen Keller as a shining example of the DB community than Laura Bridgman.

So sad because Laura Bridgman paved a lot of paths that made learning much easier for Helen Keller. Laura learned at Perkins and she actually learned braille all by herself. I am just so humbled by both Laura & Helen and all the DB community. Each one of us paves our own path in life.

Laura did not have her own Anne Sullivan but she had Dr Howe. Laura changed so many lives and this was a good 50 years before Helen Keller was born.

As soon as Laura's abilities to learn braille and Tadoma, she wanted nothing to do with her other DB peers that communicated using gestures. She kept learning more and more & wanted to advance onto others.

This proved Dr Howe's studies that blind people's thinking of Tabula rasa was very incorrect. Laura was able to feel objects and put brailled tags together even after feeling objects for the first time.

Laura inspired so many writers and doctors & they wrote about her. When they speak of Tabula rasa, they think of her.

That was Laura Bridgman. I read a lot about her and was so surprised that a lot of educators preferred to use Helen Keller as a shining example of the DB community than Laura Bridgman.

So sad because Laura Bridgman paved a lot of paths that made learning much easier for Helen Keller. Laura learned at Perkins and she actually learned braille all by herself. I am just so humbled by both Laura & Helen and all the DB community. Each one of us paves our own path in life.

Laura did not have her own Anne Sullivan but she had Dr Howe. Laura changed so many lives and this was a good 50 years before Helen Keller was born.

As soon as Laura's abilities to learn braille and Tadoma, she wanted nothing to do with her other DB peers that communicated using gestures. She kept learning more and more & wanted to advance onto others.

This proved Dr Howe's studies that blind people's thinking of Tabula rasa was very incorrect. Laura was able to feel objects and put brailled tags together even after feeling objects for the first time.

Laura inspired so many writers and doctors & they wrote about her. When they speak of Tabula rasa, they think of her.

Wasn't Laura Bridgman the first American DB student to receive an education in the English language?

Thanks for your explanation Mrs Bucket. I think deaf and deafblind children should be exposed to EVERYTHING including sign language, cued speach, Tadoma etc...

I looked into Helen Keller. Did you know that Helen Keller already knew several home made signs BEFORE Anne Sulliven even got there. The daughter of one of the servants used to befriend her.

Also before Laura got to Perkin's she also had a friend who used to take her everywhere with him and show her things so she already had a head start. I didn't know that she knew Tandoma.

At one stage I think they over used Tandoma method without signing too. I think that Things like Tandoma, Tacalating and Cued speech should be taught more often but that they should not replace signing. It's easier when several systems work together for greatest benifits.

Thanks for your explanation Mrs Bucket. I think deaf and deafblind children should be exposed to EVERYTHING including sign language, cued speach, Tadoma etc...

This may be an ignorant question, but how can a totally DBP (deafblind person) learn cued speech? Do they memorize the hand shapes and hand positions? Also, do they recognize them by placing their hands over the cuer's just like they do for tactile?

I've never heard of a DBP using cued speech before. Even at the AADB (American Association of the Deaf-Blind) convention I never came across anyone who used cued speech for communication.

In fact, now that I think about it, I don't think the AADB convention application listed cued speech as one of the communication methods they offered for delegates.

This may be an ignorant question, but how can a totally DBP (deafblind person) learn cued speech? Do they memorize the hand shapes and hand positions? Also, do they recognize them by placing their hands over the cuer's just like they do for tactile?

I've never heard of a DBP using cued speech before. Even at the AADB (American Association of the Deaf-Blind) convention I never came across anyone who used cued speech for communication.

In fact, now that I think about it, I don't think the AADB convention application listed cued speech as one of the communication methods they offered for delegates.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean cued speach for the deafblind. I meant cued speech/tactalating for sighted deaf and Tandama and tactile sign language for Deafblind.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean cued speach for the deafblind. I meant cued speech/tactalating for sighted deaf and Tandama and tactile sign language for Deafblind.

Thanks for the clarification, dreama! :) I wonder if a DBP *could* use cued speech by tactile means?

Hear Again - Yes Laura was the first American DB to receive an English education. Cued Speech would be really hard for a DBP to learn because you would have to read lips and watch the fingers constantly moving. This is why the AADB does'nt recognise this as they will ask whether tactile or ASL is your preferred method.

I cannot wait to go to my first AADB conference although I'm Canadian. Several of my DB friends and I will be going to the next AADB conference and I do hope I will get to meet you and many other DB ADers that will go to AADB.

I firmly believe DBP by birth could learn cued speech if they were exposed to it at early birth and learned it by using tactile and cued speech. It would be a challenge granted.

dreama- Yes Laura had a close male family friend that befriended her and Laura did not deal with the separation from the family friend when she moved to Perkins.

Hear Again - Yes Laura was the first American DB to receive an English education. Cued Speech would be really hard for a DBP to learn because you would have to read lips and watch the fingers constantly moving. This is why the AADB does'nt recognise this as they will ask whether tactile or ASL is your preferred method.

I cannot wait to go to my first AADB conference although I'm Canadian. Several of my DB friends and I will be going to the next AADB conference and I do hope I will get to meet you and many other DB ADers that will go to AADB.

I firmly believe DBP by birth could learn cued speech if they were exposed to it at early birth and learned it by using tactile and cued speech. It would be a challenge granted.

dreama- Yes Laura had a close male family friend that befriended her and Laura did not deal with the separation from the family friend when she moved to Perkins.

I attended my first AADB convention in 1996 when it was held in Tulsa, OK. The theme that year was "DB Can..." VR paid for the expense because they considered the experience to be one that would help me better accept my deafblindness. As I've mentioned before, I had a very difficult time accepting my deafness, so it was wonderful to be able to hear all of these positive testimonials and workshops about the capabilities of DBPs. I'll never forget my experience there. It was the first time I used a tactile terp and the first time I learned about the variety of communication techniques used by DBPs. Incidentally, I also learned that DBPs show their appreciation (i.e. applause) by pounding on a table with both fists and stomping their feet. I was at the AADB banquet at the time and when everyone started doing that, it caught me off guard until my tactile terp explained to me what they were doing and why. Also, at the AADB dance, the DJ gave me a balloon so I could feel the vibrations of the music which I thought was pretty cool. :)

If you, dreama or typeingtornado are able to attend another AADB convention, it would be exciting to meet all of you! :) Also, to typeingtornado, I hope to meet you at next year's NFB convention in Detroit! :)

If you, dreama or typeingtornado are able to attend another AADB convention, it would be exciting to meet all of you! :) Also, to typeingtornado, I hope to meet you at next year's NFB convention in Detroit! :)

Sounds like fun. Maybe one day I will take you up on that but I'm not sure when really. There are so many countries I'd like to visit but I've got my critters to take care of right now.

Sounds like fun. Maybe one day I will take you up on that but I'm not sure when really. There are so many countries I'd like to visit but I've got my critters to take care of right now.

Off-topic...

What kind of animals do you have?

Cued Speech would be really hard for a DBP to learn because you would have to read lips and watch the fingers constantly moving. This is why the AADB does'nt recognise this as they will ask whether tactile or ASL is your preferred method.

Hello Mrs. Bucket - I myself have no personal experience cueing English with people who are deaf/blind. I am just trying to imagine this and I wonder because cueing of the consonants and vowels are with one hand, if that could be followed like tactile sign. *rambling thoughts* :)

I wonder if a DBP *could* use cued speech by tactile means?

Hear Again - I cannot speak to your question from personal experience. If you like, I can look into finding some information for you. :)

now that i have cis, my preferred communication method is speech. However, when background noise is an issue, i prefer using an fm system in conjunction with tactile sign and/or braille realtime captioning.

Prior to receiving my cis, some of the alternative communication techniques i learned included: Print on palm/pop (tracing block letters into the palm of one's hand), telebraille (braille tty), teletouch (a device that has a qwerty keyboard on one side and a single braille cell on the other; whenever a letter is depressed on the qwerty keyboard, it appears in braille on the braille display), screen braille communicator/sbc (a device similar to the teletouch except that it contains a perkins/braille keyboard, qwerty keyboard and an lcd screen for sighted-hearing), typing in wordpad/notepad and reading this information on a braille display, braille realtime captioning (a captionist's laptop is connected to my braillenote -- a pda for the blind -- and i read this information on the braillenote's braille display), braille/raised print alphabet card (my finger is placed on individual letters to spell out words), communication card (a placard which indentifies me as deafblind and requests that people tap me on the shoulder when it is safe to cross the street) and fingerbraille (tapping braille characters on one's arm, lap or back using the first six fingers of each hand).

wow!

Hello Mrs. Bucket - I myself have no personal experience cueing English with people who are deaf/blind. I am just trying to imagine this and I wonder because cueing of the consonants and vowels are with one hand, if that could be followed like tactile sign. *rambling thoughts* :)

Hi loml - Cued Speech is not really practised in the DB community because personally myself I have not seen it yet unless I'm mistaken or not have not seen it yet as well.

With the help of good lighting and clothing of contrasting colours some deaf people with limited
vision can see the cues clearly.
source

It would be like what you described. One hand on cueing and the other tactiling.

Hear Again - I cannot speak to your question from personal experience. If you like, I can look into finding some information for you. :)

Yes, I'd appreciate that. Thanks! :)

I've been a member of the deafblind community since 1995 and I have yet to see any DBP use cued speech.

I just did a Google search for "cued speech + deafblind" and found several links which indicate that cued speech can be used by DBPs who have enough residual vision to do so.

Back