CSDVRS recalls all Dlink VPs ?

Dennis said:
Since you say you're "on campus" I assume that you're on a college campus that has an IT department of people who control the campus network. FYI, the wall jacks are connected to routers, you just don't see them because they're hidden somewhere. If your IT department is nice, they could show you your building's wiring closet, and in that closet will have the router with all the wall jacks connected to it.

You will need to talk with your IT department about the campus firewall. Often times, the IT department will block EVERYTHING that they don't think is important, and in this case, their rules allow for outgoing connections only. You can make calls from inside the network to outside the network, but because they block the inbound stuff, you'll never see the other person until you talk with them and let them know you need that.

The best thing to do is to contact Sorenson's technical support. I hope they can help you. Or, get a D-Link and I can direct you to someone who can help in Oklahoma. CSD has a pretty strong human services presence in Oklahoma (TEPIN is one of the projects, the national emergency service for deaf people).

Thanks I was afraid of that. our IT dept sucks we have called and called it was fixed once but I think any firewall changes were re set the next day. Trying to get her to get Eye2i.

Soonersseth said:
Thanks I was afraid of that. our IT dept sucks we have called and called it was fixed once but I think any firewall changes were re set the next day. Trying to get her to get Eye2i.

If its a firewall issue it won't matter which VP you use.

dkf747 said:
If its a firewall issue it won't matter which VP you use.

The difference is that certain organizations are much better at persuading IT departments to listen to them and work together to allow for equal access. Of course, having a VP-100 will not put those organizations in a position to help you.

Dennis said:
The difference is that certain organizations are much better at persuading IT departments to listen to them and work together to allow for equal access. Of course, having a VP-100 will not put those organizations in a position to help you.

Why is that?

Because in my experience, those certain organizations are savvier at communicating clearly to IT staff about the needs and necessity of deaf videoophone users. A recent event I went to, I talked with a deaf college professor.

This professor friend wanted a VP-100 at her university and the IT staff at the college begrudingly gave her and the VP-100 installer ONE meeting.

The VP installer had no clue what he was doing, he was unable to answer the IT staff's questions and seemed to give the impression that deaf people were really dumb about technology. A quote I recall from the professor was, "The installer several times said, 'I don't know about that -- what do you think, Professor?' " The VP online staff was no better at helping.

The result of that was, the IT team didn't bother to help set up the VP correctly and the VP never worked on campus.

The professor then contacted CSD and CSD was able to clearly communicate to the right IT staff members, the right videophone information, gave an incredible first impression to the college staff and installed a D-Link. Result? The professor was so impressed that she uses the videophone DAILY to handle her CSDVRS calls. Can't argue with results like that.

That's cool, but I have 2 friends who went with Sorenson because the installer knew what he was doing. The installer for the dlink didn't know what to do and just left it for them to contact HOVRS or CSD, not sure which one. They gave up and got5 the VP-100. So it depends on the installer more than which company.

Question...how many numbers to an IP address????

I thought it was supposed to be 10 numbers in an IP address?

DreamDeaf said:
so if someone gives me 8 to 9 nbrs, will that work?

i cant answer that question because every ip nbr is different like phone number.

u can find your own ip nbr - http://dslreports.com/whois

once u get that number. you can give them that ip addy that they can call you with.
beware: ip addy always change frequently so u can check on that before someone can vp u. if u are tired of ip addy changed, you can apply that to www.no-ip.com so u can have one permanant name. figure urself or dennis wud be glad to explan that to yall. :)

DreamDeaf said:
so if someone gives me 8 to 9 nbrs, will that work?

IP addresses are 4 sets of numbers between 0 and 255.

0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255

If you have "8 or 9 numbers" it should be okay as long as those numbers are never over 255. If someone gives you 1.1.999.999, well, is sure doesn't exist.

The easiest way to think about it is that it's always 12 numbers, but some of those numbers may have a zero in front, like 010.067.112.094 = 10.67.112.94

IloveVP said:
I heard that all installers are instructed to return Dlink VPs to CSDVRS. Any idea why ? One was not happy that she could not get the VP so she decided to go for Sorenson.

true csd is just rearrange the uninstall vp to other locations not revoke the vp

Soonersseth said:
Ok question for smart guys. The terp office has a VP-100 and it wont recieve calls it wont flash the ringing ect. and has black screen for excample If they call me I can see them but they cant see me. When I try to call them it says ringing on my vp but it won't ring theirs. no router it is connected to campus network. Can anyone help ?

firewall issue doenst matter if its soreson or dlink vp

Dennis said:
IP addresses are 4 sets of numbers between 0 and 255.

0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255

If you have "8 or 9 numbers" it should be okay as long as those numbers are never over 255. If someone gives you 1.1.999.999, well, is sure doesn't exist.

The easiest way to think about it is that it's always 12 numbers, but some of those numbers may have a zero in front, like 010.067.112.094 = 10.67.112.94

192.168.0.0, 10.0.0.0, and 172.16.0.0 through 172.31.0.0 arent routable

these numbers cant be public ip

deafclimber said:
i cant answer that question because every ip nbr is different like phone number.

u can find your own ip nbr - http://dslreports.com/whois

once u get that number. you can give them that ip addy that they can call you with.
beware: ip addy always change frequently so u can check on that before someone can vp u. if u are tired of ip addy changed, you can apply that to www.no-ip.com so u can have one permanant name. figure urself or dennis wud be glad to explan that to yall. :)

For using dialing by phone nbr direct to server I2eye only use dvc-1000! That I2eye will not available service who using IP...

IloveVP said:
I heard that all installers are instructed to return Dlink VPs to CSDVRS. Any idea why ? One was not happy that she could not get the VP so she decided to go for Sorenson.

Not true!!! this CSDvrs is still great business!! there no recall vp! Unless if vp has problem they will replace fast! that it!

xentra said:
Not true!!! this CSDvrs is still great business!! there no recall vp! Unless if vp has problem they will replace fast! that it!

Once more, you live in Canada so you might not know any installer. Two former CSDVRS installers from Chicago area told me. Very Sad!!!

IloveVP said:
Once more, you live in Canada so you might not know any installer. Two former CSDVRS installers from Chicago area told me. Very Sad!!!

How do you know? You already obtained very old versions from installers. Did you know that Canada is going to set up VRS.

See Xentra's post.

Be nice to your neighbor next border.

Back