Considering an implant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by radiohead
With the CI on my audiogram is in the 15-24dB range. My speech recognition scores on sentences in quiet is 100%. My phone sentence recognition is 100%. My sentences in noise is 70% and monosyllabic word scores are around 80%. According to my audiologist, I'm "not missing much more than hearing person does." So I feel pretty confident that I'm as close to hearing as you can get with a CI. I wouldn't know, though, since I was born profoundly deaf and never heard normaly.

So really, how can you define hearing or deaf? It's all relative. To me, with a CI on I am hearing and with it off I am deaf.

When did you become hearing impaired? Early age or late age?

Originally posted by SilenceGold
When did you become hearing impaired? Early age or late age?

read again, he said born profoundly deaf :D

Radiohead, that's great that you score so well on an audiogram! However, have you found that the audiogram reflects real life? The trouble with audiograms is that they really don't reflect the vast range of voices out there, and most audis tend to have very "professional speaker" voices (they hyperenuciate and hyperarticulate) whereas not everyone in the entire world has a professional speaker voice. I too am "almost hearing" with my hearing aids. There are some people(including males...I have a low frequncy loss) whom I can hear even without the aid of speechreading! but at the same time I have trouble hearing some people even with speechreading! (people with low voices, people with accents etc) Bear in mind that I can speechread so well that I can have "spoken" conversations with my hearing friends without even makign a sound! Trust me...a CI is neat and amazing but even hearing people have trouble understanding Ozzie Osbourne and Henry Kissingger (he spoke at my sister's college gradution and I just watched the 'terps) and NOONE really knows the real lyrics to Smells Like Teen Spirit and Louie, Louie! :)

Originally posted by Boult
read again, he said born profoundly deaf :D

Pardon me and I applause you for finding that for me. I was under influence of penicilln and two variants of APAP/Codeine drugs. I still am.

deafdyke, I couldn't resist but tried to look up those words, hyperenuciate and hyperarticulate.

However, both two words, hyperenuciate and hyperarticulate are supposed to be two words for each. :p

Originally posted by deafdyke
Radiohead, that's great that you score so well on an audiogram! However, have you found that the audiogram reflects real life? The trouble with audiograms is that they really don't reflect the vast range of voices out there, and most audis tend to have very "professional speaker" voices (they hyperenuciate and hyperarticulate) whereas not everyone in the entire world has a professional speaker voice. I too am "almost hearing" with my hearing aids. There are some people(including males...I have a low frequncy loss) whom I can hear even without the aid of speechreading! but at the same time I have trouble hearing some people even with speechreading! (people with low voices, people with accents etc) Bear in mind that I can speechread so well that I can have "spoken" conversations with my hearing friends without even makign a sound! Trust me...a CI is neat and amazing but even hearing people have trouble understanding Ozzie Osbourne and Henry Kissingger (he spoke at my sister's college gradution and I just watched the 'terps) and NOONE really knows the real lyrics to Smells Like Teen Spirit and Louie, Louie! :)

Well, you said it yourself, Deafdyke. Even hearing people have trouble understanding some people. Its the same for me. The ones I have trouble understanding, in general so does everyone else. I've done experimental testing at the University of Arizona in which the sentences were done under "normal" condition. Another words someone was just reading a sentence- no hyperenunciation or anything like that. My score stayed relatively the same- nothing statistically significant.

Either way, I understand a hell of lot more than I did with my hearing aids. My hearing aid scores were pretty much 0% across the board (WITH hyperenunciation :D ). Well, not quite 0%- I scored 2% on sentences with my hearing aids. However, I prefer 100% :shock:

Originally posted by radiohead
Well, you said it yourself, Deafdyke. Even hearing people have trouble understanding some people. Its the same for me. The ones I have trouble understanding, in general so does everyone else. I've done experimental testing at the University of Arizona in which the sentences were done under "normal" condition. Another words someone was just reading a sentence- no hyperenunciation or anything like that. My score stayed relatively the same- nothing statistically significant.

Either way, I understand a hell of lot more than I did with my hearing aids. My hearing aid scores were pretty much 0% across the board (WITH hyperenunciation :D ). Well, not quite 0%- I scored 2% on sentences with my hearing aids. However, I prefer 100% :shock:

You a UofA student?

A few years ago, I was considering having a CI. I wanted to have better hearing and speech to be able to communicate better with hearing people. But I was informed that I would be better off not having a CI. As most of my friends are deaf, they are all anti-CI except for the ones who DO have a CI. I have seen the effect a CI has on a person's life. I have a deaf friend who has a CI and her deaf brother also has a CI, and because the brother got the implant earlier, he seems to understand speech better than his sister. It also worked well for a few other friends. It doesn't always work, I have a friend who has poor english skills and I believe this is not good as all deaf people should have good english skills to be able to cope in the hearing world.

Myself, I feel that a CI is not for me, because I have residual hearing and I use it very well, so well in fact, I can talk and hear quite well. A CI would only disrupt my life I believe, as I would have to learn to hear all over again and everything. I really think it depends on the individual and the individual's needs. But I know I am against putting it in a child even though it is recommended to implant early as possible. I want people to have a choice, because if they are offered a choice, they will be happy with their eventual decision.

It is up to the individual, and pressuring of the individual to have a CI is wrong, and it is also wrong to give all the good facts without presenting the bad facts as well. It is true that with a CI, you will lose all hearing (residual hearing) in that ear, and they do not give CIs to people they believe has enough hearing to manage for this reason. Bacterial infections are also a big risk, and I have seen a woman with her face disfigured as a result of nerve damage as a result of the operation to put in the CI. This is a rare side effect though. Her family were supportive though, and learnt sign language to help her communicate with them, which is very good.

But it is also true that it improves speech in some cases and better hearing in most cases. But the operation, the recovery and the speech therapy is all time consuming and costly. So the question is, is it really worth the eventual result? Are you prepared to work hard for what you want?

Ziusudra

If I made a turtle soup and had a sign beside it saying "Delicious Turtle soup" beside the big pot of the soup. Also there's some bowls beside the pot on the table.

Those of you who has never tasted a turtle soup before.....would you believe me and Lisa if we said it was awesome and be willing to come and try it out?

No....most...(I meant most of you..but not all) of you would refuse to try to taste it, let alone trust us, because of all the negativity in your thoughts...and it's this fear too.

CI is similar in SOME ways.

Oh....one more thing....I might have miscooked it...so one out of 40 people could get sick....is it really risky?

Yeah, you do make a good point. But, if the soup was being sold in a resturant and the waiteress said it was good and told me what was in it, I'd probably try it.. But then, again, when you said 1/40 people who try it get sick, that made me think twice about trying it..

I've been interested in a CI for about 4 years now and when I saw "Sound and Fury" It made me think twice again because I (at that time) wasn't involved with the deaf community and didn't have any clue about what was adversized about the Deaf in the movie..

I am profoundly-severely deaf since i was 4 months old.

When I started high school, I met this one girl who was a senior and she was a former student of a school for the deaf but eventually dropped out and became mainstreamed. She taught me ASL and taught me about the deaf world and the school for the deaf. She invited me over to her house and I saw that her entire family signs. I was amazed and I felt so comfortable there. I didn't have to speak anymore. At home, my mom signs SEE but can't really "read" sign very well, so I always have to speak. My sister used to sign all the time and talk to me and I didn't have to speak to her.. but now, she refuses to sign and always wants me to talk to her and she discourages me socalizing with deaf people. My step father does not know how to sign at all nor gesture either but he is slowly learning as I am bringing more deaf peers home..

After meeting my deaf friend, I started meeting new students at the nearby school for the deaf and talked to them and eventually hung out with them as well. My signing skills changed from SEE to PSE (in my opinion, my friends say i can be ASL sometimes, which surprises me).. I do not have any strong bonds with the deaf community because I do not live close (30 minutes) and I am fully mainstreamed at my neighbor highschool with interpreters and approx. 30 other deaf students. I have never been in a deaf class before (with the exception of when i was 6-18 months old learning TC (total communication)).. I really enjoy my deaf peers and they're so much fun and easier to hang out with.. their culture is totally different than the hearing culture but i do understand and accept both cultures. (altho it is hard to live in both cultures, swinging back and forth)

Anyways.... I got a digital hearingaid about a year ago and I am so in love with it. It has improved my speech and I am able to read lips better because I can now hear the air flow through the speakers mouth. I can tell the difference between the same lip forms but different letters. Two days ago, I was over at my friends house who is deaf (she has a deaf sister and a hearing sister and her mom is an interpreter) and so, I was facing my friend, and her mom was behind me signing and speaking as well and I could not see her mom, but I was actually ABLE to understand what she spoke. It was just sooo cool! It totally motivated me to want to hear some more and learn new speech sounds and be able to hear more.

so now, I'm really interested in a coclear implant because my other bestfriend since birth, got a CI 2 years ago and she really loves it, she can hear so many things which she was never able to hear before.. my other friend also got a CI last summer and he has really dramatically improved a lot especially in understanding speech and his own speech. It's just so awesome..

I am considering implanting my left ear since I can not hear anything even when someone screams in my ear. (well yeah i can feel the vibration but literally HEAR the sounds process in my brain, nope). I don't know what the impact of an implant in my stonedeaf ear will be like, i probably will be scared and dislike it at first because I've never heard anything from that ear in a damn long time.........

Live3Him said:
I've been interested in a CI for about 4 years now and when I saw "Sound and Fury" It made me think twice again because I (at that time) wasn't involved with the deaf community and didn't have any clue about what was adversized about the Deaf in the movie..

Just to let you know that Heather the girl in that movie and Nina, the mother plus the son too they all are implanted Nina got her turned on recently earlier this summer. The only person that refused CI is Peter, Nina's husband. Nina has been watching the advancement of CI for 3 years since they brought up the CI issue.

Oh by the way, They moved back to Long Island from Maryland which they moved to during the filming of that show.

Boult said:
Just to let you know that Heather the girl in that movie and Nina, the mother plus the son too they all are implanted Nina got her turned on recently earlier this summer. The only person that refused CI is Peter, Nina's husband. Nina has been watching the advancement of CI for 3 years since they brought up the CI issue.

Oh by the way, They moved back to Long Island from Maryland which they moved to during the filming of that show.

wow, how did you know all about that? are you personally friends with them or is there a website that keeps all the fans updated about them??

Live3Him said:
wow, how did you know all about that? are you personally friends with them or is there a website that keeps all the fans updated about them??

I can't post the url here but will pm you them though..

To Live2Him,
You have to think twice before you want to have CI. I have been deaf all my life and I just accept who I am. God created you for who you are and your deaf natural way. Go to the Jack eye's website . The person who experienced about the CI that affected them. There's videos too and they signs .
To everyone else I will come back to this website to find the name of Jack's eye.

I wrote my opionion and feeling and knowing who I am. I will send it to this website.

Ok I'm back.. to go "The Ugly Truth CI" by Jack Barr. This will help you to undertands clear and what's up with the information. They have deaf person signs in their videos.

Live3Him, if you have a pretty much useless "deaf" ear, I would totally see about getting it implanted.
That really is the perfect sitution for implantation.
I do not have any strong bonds with the deaf community because I do not live close (30 minutes) and I am fully mainstreamed at my neighbor highschool with interpreters and approx. 30 other deaf students. I have never been in a deaf class before (with the exception of when i was 6-18 months old learning TC (total communication))
One option, you could look into are summer camps for dhh kids. Many of the Schools for the Deaf offer summer camp style programs for dhh teens. Ask the local Deaf community about any possible summer camp programs. You're at least very lucky to have the advantage of attending a school with a somewhat sizable deaf population.

D-neen, deafdyke,

Do you realize that you are "talking" to someone who hasn't been on AllDeaf since 05-10-2004.??
The thread is from 2003 !!

Cloggy, Yeah I know .I just though and see if they would come back to check on Alldeaf.com You are right it's way back 2003. I think for now maybe someone else will notice of my opinion and shared to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back