Considering an implant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:madfawk: at CI!

Being Hearing, and before I met my deaf friends, I may have considered getting if I lost my reason, like people have. But now that I have learn what I know now, I would NEVER get one. I know I wouldn't be able to do my job anymore, but I know there are many many other jobs out there that I could do.

I have two cochlear Implants and it doesn't EVEN work for me growling :mad2: that's why i will never wear my own cochlear implants anymore bec it doesn't WORK for me anymore!!!! :nono:

Originally posted by Oddball
My mom had asked me if I considered about getting a cochlear implant three times. I declined because I knew that cochlear implant won't work for my ears anyway plus I don't need to deal with some headaches while I used hearing aids. I am happy being Deaf. :D

:werd: same me -- my parents asked me if i wanted to have CI i said hell NO! :nono:

I have had implants before and they all were unsuccessful. I won't go for it again. No, thank you.

If anyone else want to go for it, then go for it. I'm not against it or anything like that, because they are their decisions not mine. I'm made up mine already after two attempts.

yeah i agree.. that's why i refuse wear my ci that i have here.. i prefer to leave my ears alone since i am proud to be deaf... Also, i had a lot of problems myself by trying to enter some stores, airport, library or others that has securities like u have to go through them then have to get out of them sighs. I hate them! it makes me shock because the wires inside both sides of above my ears gets into a lot of connects u know.. i hate that growling that's why it drove me :crazy: and it also made me feel like :eek:

I would be interested in knowing when you all got your implant. All you are doing is crabbing and complaining about your CI. Which may be legit but I would be real interested in knowing if anyone has gotten the new CII bionic ear w/hi res from Advanced Bionics.

I have learned that implant offers the most natural sounding hearing experience of any implant ever made.

For someone who is profoundly deaf. This is there only chance of ever being able to hear. Sometime hearing aids just cant provide any benefit for them.

Instead of ripping on what people use to hear just comment on your experience and leave others alone.

I dont think its cool for deaf people to rip on other deaf people. It doesnt do the deaf community any good especially when we all have to struggle in the hearing world.

Again, Id be interested in knowing when people first got there implant and how old the technology is they used or are using.

It would be like comparing an atari to a PS2. Each is a game console but they have nothing in common.

Old tech CI is not the same as new tech CI.

Some of you other deafies need to get a life and quite being so bitter over how other deafies try to hear.

Dear Cain Marko.

I am trying to find out if a cohlear implant lets you hear the normal talking sound of the person or things. Or is it like a device or machine that you hear that says the words and sounds for you. Do you know this.

Email me at BSidrer@aol.com

Thank you

I see in your note that you wrote that it offers the most natural hearing what do you mean by this.

i agree with lezartist and flyfree, not only that i have seen some poeple get miserable about not being able to come inside a store just for the simpliest thing like getting clothes and stuff, while others have thier own complains about the CI I fully am against it, i was asked to have a CI by my grandmother she went on to set up a dr appt for me and my mom asked if i wanted it and explained what it was about and i said NO way i refused to have a chip in my ear to help me hear it's totally like putting my whole way of life as a deaf person in jepordy So it's only right for me to decide cuz it's my body not thiers!

Originally posted by Barbara
Dear Cain Marko.

I am trying to find out if a cohlear implant lets you hear the normal talking sound of the person or things. Or is it like a device or machine that you hear that says the words and sounds for you. Do you know this.

Email me at BSidrer@aol.com

Thank you

I see in your note that you wrote that it offers the most natural hearing what do you mean by this.

I will post it here for others to benefit or complain to me. I enjoy giving my perspective about CI's...its obvious its needed in the deaf community.
If you have specific questions go ahead and email me.

From my experience with seeing other deaf children who have received an implant this is what happens:

There are two parts. The implant and the computer.

The implant is obviously done via surgery.
For a little kid the computer can be worn in a backpack as they get older it can be worn like a hearing aid bte. So an adult has two options on wearing a computer.

Sound travels from the microphone located on the head typically behind a above the ear. It sits "like a kitchen magnet" on the head via a magnet to the implant. Take it off...deaf, put it on...hearing. With the microphone off there is no way of telling whether a person has an implant. There is nothing plugged into the body at all.

Sound travels from the microphone down a wire into the computer where it gets fancied up. The computer then sends that sound back up the wire through the skin using radio waves into the implant where it directly stimulates the hearing nerve.

The implant isnt sitting in your ear as some say. the implant actually bipasses the ear and loops itself around inside the cochlea. A tiny organ that never changes in size. This is why children very young can receive an implant and it doesnt have to be "redone" as they get older.

You have to think of it as hearing completely different than you or I are able/not able to do.
Hearing with an implant directly stimulates the hearing nerve with a digital signal.
Hearing/not hearing with our ears goes through the ear canal, through all the hearing bones, through the cochlea, using hair cells to stimulate the hearing nerve.

So you arent hearing a computer talk to you. the computer is hearing for you.

Whether thats "normal" or not I dont know. All I can repeat is what others have told me. With the new technology thats available right now. Not even 3 years ago...the technology that is available today can be very naturally sounding for many people.

Originally posted by Cain Marko
I will post it ... people.

Blah blah blah. Not convinced and still not interested.

I have lived with people with CIs. Only one out of 15 Deafie friends of mine with CIs is happy with it. The rest aren't. It doesn't matter if it is new or old technology, they still do not like their CIs. Several reasons: limited physical activities, limited outdoors activities, headaches, migraines, dizziness, increased chance of getting spinal meningitis for the second time and history of brain damaging/killing Deaf people who underwent CI Development and experimentation. The risks are too many.

Noooooo thanks.

Originally posted by Deaf258
Blah blah blah. Not convinced and still not interested.

I have lived with people with CIs. Only one out of 15 Deafie friends of mine with CIs is happy with it. The rest aren't. It doesn't matter if it is new or old technology, they still do not like their CIs. Several reasons: limited physical activities, limited outdoors activities, headaches, migraines, dizziness, increased chance of getting spinal meningitis for the second time and history of brain damaging/killing Deaf people who underwent CI Development and experimentation. The risks are too many.

Noooooo thanks.

blah blah blah

FU. Mind numbed idiot.

I am convinced about you on this:

You dont have a clue to what you are talking about. All you do is spew garbage about old tech that has NOTHING to do with what a CI is like today.
Implants did have problems before. But read this very closely IT IS NOT LIKE THAT ANYMORE. Try reading it a few more times so that you get it in your head.

Do yourself a favor and read about the new stuff.
There are no problems with balance, there are no limitations on what you can do outside, they are not limited in physical activities. Do you wear HA in the water? So of course you dont wear a CI in the water either.

And about headaches and migraines dont be such a f'n no mind. A muscle that isnt used will feel sore when first working out. But after a while it goes away because the muscle is being excerised.
Deafies who get headaches from CI do so becuase they havent heard before and all of a sudden the hearing nerve which isnt used now suddenly gets used.

People continue to be so dense . Admit you dont know anything about todays Implant instead of condeming everyone who gets one. Dont put your old complaints on todays new children that get one.

Some members of the deaf community are so prejudice...Just go back to your cave away from society while others succeed with it.

Originally posted by Cain Marko

Do yourself a favor and read about the new stuff.
There are no problems with balance, there are no limitations on what you can do outside, they are not limited in physical activities. Do you wear HA in the water? So of course you dont wear a CI in the water either.

And about headaches and migraines dont be such a f'n no mind. A muscle that isnt used will feel sore when first working out. But after a while it goes away because the muscle is being excerised.
Deafies who get headaches from CI do so becuase they havent heard before and all of a sudden the hearing nerve which isnt used now suddenly gets used.

Its true, I have not wear hearing aid for month to repair. When I got my hearing aid back and put on my ear. Whoa, it loudest I ever heard and get headache because of the sound that my head muscle is being excerised again. So, it similar like hearing aid and CI that doesn't wear due the inside the water. I recent went to met deaf social and met of them who is wearing the CI. They are nice and not act like they are being reject at all like I heard from deaf community told me. It mades me don't want to be part that way since I born hearing and turn deaf. I have no problem being with deaf and I could like to 'hear' the outside noise.

I asked the deaf who is wearing CI about some of them doesn't work and why? They told me to go back to the doctor or anything that need to be fix.

Guess what about CI. Today, I don't see any ugly scare anymore and big head. They are new and never seen like that. In the past, I can see the person who have small cube inside their side of head. Also, about the "SHOCK" your head:ugh: .. Well, they should know better about "shock" your head because they have a card that will let you skip the secuity screen walk-in, no MRI (some are allow to able work that way, and plastic chair while you move to get static that cause problem with CI? No, it just need to remapping to able work together between CI and the nerves. Hope that information is clear up.

Whoever against CI, they have no idea what they were talking about. They should research themsevle and not listen what people have talking about. Can do both whenever we have bad time and great news. It not about the option and it all about the facts what happen to us.

Beside that one, I am still research about it.

LORD.

Y'all are squabbling about CI's still? I had CI when I was 10 in 1990 and I hated mine, but this doesnt mean I go out bashing others about the CI. If you want CI, good. If you don't, good.

FYI, I have my own CI it makes my damn right ear have a lot of infections and it also makes me DIZZY a lot!!!! If U don't believe me that's ur loss!!!! Because U don't know how I FEEL or anything!!!!! Thank YOU VERY MUCH!!!! :mad2:

Originally posted by ideafspy
Also, about the "SHOCK" your head:ugh: .. Well, they should know better about "shock" your head because they have a card that will let you skip the secuity screen walk-in, no MRI

ideafspy -- i know someone who has discussed CI with me on several occasions and she has expressed her negative feelings abt CI and how shes unable to get thru the metal detectors and etc at security points -- i have asked her abt researching on the removal of the implant she said it could cause serious injury or death if she attempted to have that done soo its been left alone and go figure it doesnt work for her either and shes told me she doesnt hear anything even when she has on her CI

even tho i am personally against CI itself -- i still think ppl have the option of having a CI when they have their own INFORMED decisionmaking on their own free will not to be done on minors that has no voice ie: babies, toddlers and kids under age 16, 17 and the way i look at it the hearie parents should allow their kids to have their own voice be heard PRIOR to it done but ahh that doesnt usually happen these days *smh*

Originally posted by LezArtist
FYI, I have my own CI it makes my damn right ear have a lot of infections and it also makes me DIZZY a lot!!!! If U don't believe me that's ur loss!!!! Because U don't know how I FEEL or anything!!!!! Thank YOU VERY MUCH!!!! :mad2:

i dont blame u LezArtist *huggies* :D

I agree with u COMPLETELY! Shessh there are some ppl that don't understand and thinks it's EASY no no it's not!!!! If they were in my OWN SHOES they WILL :jaw: and say yes yes she is RIGHT!!!!! I am not playing any GAMES! thank you!!! :)

For someone who is profoundly deaf. This is there only chance of ever being able to hear.
Ummm.....so what? Maybe they like being deaf. Maybe they don't WANT to have hearing. A lot of congentially deaf or very early deafened people don't understand the concept of sound.
Hell....I am HOH(can even talk on the phone without a hearing aid with my mild loss ear)
I and don't fully understand the concept of sound.
I can get along perfectly well without sound thank you very much!

Originally posted by Fly Free
even tho i am personally against CI itself -- i still think ppl have the option of having a CI when they have their own INFORMED decisionmaking on their own free will not to be done on minors that has no voice ie: babies, toddlers and kids under age 16, 17 and the way i look at it the hearie parents should allow their kids to have their own voice be heard PRIOR to it done but ahh that doesnt usually happen these days *smh* [/B]

About 90% of deafies dont have a voice...thats the problem.

When making use of a CI. I have heard/seen children recover their voice and start speaking.

Thank God parents dont just sit around and wait for a child to grow up before doing something.
Do you think a child should wait to get glasses or is that a decision the parent can make? WHERE DOES IT STOP? How about choosing which clothes to wear, what food to eat. Someday when you have a kid I'd be real interested in knowing which decisions you allow them to make before you start acting like a parent. What a pathetic parent you would be.

Personally, I am not scared of making decisions. My kid would be taken care of becuase I would be a Dad.
Not some pathetic idiot that cant "decide" what to do.

Once again. Do yourself and the rest of the deaf community a favor and read about the new opportunities for deaf people using a CI. You dont have a clue.
It took a period of 6 months to a year or so for me to see how children benefited from this. You cant just simply say...it doesnt work for me or I'm proud of being deaf or some people think its so easy or whatever.
Deaf people with that attitude need to get a life. It is so OLD. Go back to your caves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back