Confederate Flag

What does Confederate Rebel Flag means to you?

• A symbol of Civil War History

Votes: 41 25.8%
  • A symbol of racist

Votes: 44 27.7%
  • A symbol of Heritage (Civil War Veteran Generation)

Votes: 60 37.7%
  • Others - please specify

Votes: 14 8.8%

• Total voters
Why would you want to fly a flag that you know is going to offend some people?

well just about anything offends people anyway.

I noticed some of you compare Nazi with Confederate symbol flag. I have to give you right on this.

Some of you keep on saying that Confederate flag flying to honor the heritage of Civil War and others saying that this is pride Southerners... Okay, can you image the example that Germans flying Nazi flags to honor the heritage of their WWII? What´s your reaction on this?

I know that I explain about public Nazi flag as an illegal here in Germany here in this thread last year. I really cannot understand why the Southerners consider Confederate flag as a heritage. To me, it´s not just Confederate Flag but a symbol of a hate group.

To me, we can honor the heritage of the Confederate flag and Nazi flag by place on the walls of history museums where it belongs or in their houses.

Heritage? or Southern Pride? I think you fail to realize that the slaves were being threatened by Southern
law.

Where´s respect?

Like I said - anything offends people anyway. For ie - wearing tshirt with something that offends some people. Listening to a music that offends some people. list goes on. To each own....

It's his business, even NONE of your business.

You does offend us when you made misled about confederate flag since you are not in southern generation.

I noticed some of you compare Nazi with Confederate symbol flag. I have to give you right on this.

Some of you keep on saying that Confederate flag flying to honor the heritage of Civil War and others saying that this is pride Southerners... Okay, can you image the example that Germans flying Nazi flags to honor the heritage of their WWII? What´s your reaction on this?

I know that I explain about public Nazi flag as an illegal here in Germany here in this thread last year. I really cannot understand why the Southerners consider Confederate flag as a heritage. To me, it´s not just Confederate Flag but a symbol of a hate group.

To me, we can honor the heritage of the Confederate flag and Nazi flag by place on the walls of history museums where it belongs or in their houses.

Heritage? or Southern Pride? I think you fail to realize that the slaves were being threatened by Southern
law.

Confederate flag is still, still represent to southern families and we doesn't support or praise of slavery today, it's very different way in modern time and confederate flag is still used for heritage and southern pride.

Compare with confederate flag and Nazi flag is VERY VERY far, Nazi isn't existing until 1930's and they got very huge history due international attention since confederate and union are internal issue.

Nazi has very very long of horrible treatment, far worse than confederate state and many parts of Europe has been invaded, especially Berlin is almost destruction city due very nasty war.

Confederate flag is still, still represent to southern families and we doesn't support or praise of slavery today, it's very different way in modern time and confederate flag is still used for heritage and southern pride.

Compare with confederate flag and Nazi flag is VERY VERY far, Nazi isn't existing until 1930's and they got very huge history due international attention since confederate and union are internal issue.

Nazi has very very long of horrible treatment, far worse than confederate state.

Right, we all know about Nazi's atrocities in history which was worse than what the Confederate in history.

Did you, or anyone heard about Confederate abused the Union prisoner in Andersonville? Actually that's no where near what the Nazi treated their prisoners, but here's the example.

Here's the story: Historical Background, Andersonville Civil War Prison

The Story of One Union Soldier - Andersonville Prison

Nevertheless, many Northerners insisted that the abuse was deliberate and demanded vengeance. Consequently, after being tried by a U.S. military court and convicted of war crimes, the prison's commander, Captain Henry Wirz, was hanged in November 1865 for "impairing the health and destroying the lives of prisoners." Meanwhile, Clara Barton and other government workers compiled a list of 12,912 prisoners who had died at the camp. Andersonville's mass graves were replaced by a national cemetery, which is today still used as a burial ground for American veterans.

From here: Andersonville Prison, February 1864 - April 1865

Right, we all know about Nazi's atrocities in history which was worse than what the Confederate in history.

Did you, or anyone heard about Confederate abused the Union prisoner in Andersonville? Actually that's no where near what the Nazi treated their prisoners, but here's the example.

yeah I read about Andersonville from my daddy's Civil War book collection. It was almost that bad compared to what the Nazis did during World War II. My daddy's more interested in the Civil War than I do (World War II is just one of my specialities cuz my grandaddy fought in Italy during World War II)

The commandant of Andersonville was hanged after the Civil War. Interesting was that he was a German Swiss...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Wirz

Oh interesting, thanks for share with us.

I would wonders if there's any mistreatment in union area?

There's still mistreatment today, especially in communist countries, such as China, Vietnam and former USSR and plenty of them in middle east and some part of Africa like Sudan and Somalia.

While I can understand where you're coming from how it may offended some, But, It all depends upon their viewpoint on why flying the flag, for what reason? because there are some people out there who thinks that the confederate flag stands for southern pride and nothing else. I do hope they are not flying that flag as their symbol of hate.

It is not the flag that is the symbol. It is the person behind the flag!

As I have posted before.

And just wanted to :bump: this thread as well.

Couldn't agree with you more, BB. Unfortunately, the hate groups have made it such a prominent symbol for their groups that many people only see that when they look at the flag.

Couldn't agree with you more, BB. Unfortunately, the hate groups have made it such a prominent symbol for their groups that many people only see that when they look at the flag.

I understand.. :ty:

Funny! The Group of people I hung out with boating. A lot of them had rebel Flags of some sort on their boats.

All hung out and had a good time.

Did not see or hear of any racist remarks. Just a good group of people getting together. Having a good time.

Confederate Flag and all!!

Funny! The Group of people I hung out with boating. A lot of them had rebel Flags of some sort on their boats.

All hung out and had a good time.

Did not see or hear of any racist remarks. Just a good group of people getting together. Having a good time.

Confederate Flag and all!!

Yep. Its a shame that the hateful few have to distort the meaning for everyone.

In the coming 150th anniversary of Gettysburg:

Next week marks the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, but it appears, somehow, there is still some bad blood between a pair of Northern and Southern states.

Here's the controversy: The Minnesota Historical Society has a Confederate flag in their possession, captured from a Virginia regiment during the last day of the battle. For the sake of the anniversary, Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell asked Minnesota to loan it to them (McDonnell is the governor who had declared April 2010 "Confederate History Month" at the behest of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, but then apologized for not mentioning slavery in the proclamation). Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton's response to the request is simple: No way.

The governor of Virginia earlier this year requested that the flag be loaned, quote, unquote, to Virginia to commemorate -- it doesn't quite strike me as something they would want to commemorate, but we declined that invitation.

It was taken in a battle at the cost of the blood of all these Minnesotans. And I think it would be a sacrilege to return it to them. It was something that was earned through the incredible courage and valor men who gave their lives and risked their lives to obtain it. And as far as I'm concerned, it's a closed subject.

150 Years After Gettysburg, Virginia and Minnesota Fight Over Confederate Flag

I honestly believe that it has multiple meanings depending on where your political beliefs lie. Liberals view the confederate flag differently than those who fly it, so to liberals, it's a symbol of racism. To Southerners, it's a symbol of rebellion against outside control, or independence. They don't fly it with the intention to mean racism. Political extremists do by corrupting what it originally meant for the Confederacy. Being from North Carolina, I don't personally use it, but I respect it as it's a symbol that represents the history of my heritage, though it doesn't have an absolute meaning to impose upon it.

I never forget that at my old deaf school, one Korean guy who hated Blacks wore the jeans with a small Confederate flag sewn on the bottom of the jeans one day. About five black teen boys saw it and beat him up so badly after school.

Back