Compound Bow qq's

OP, you tested two compounds correct? If you are going for hunting, I wouldn't be put off by the light drawback. In fact, you're going to have a lot on your mind besides the bow draw such as tacking the deer after you shoot, wind, position, etc. It sounds like you feel comfortable with the bow.

Barbaro, I read a good article a while back on how to make your own arrow if you had to do it. You actually heat the wood and it can make it straight, I never knew this. It had never occurred to me you might not find decent wood to use. I tell ya, that is a worthy skill to learn.

Jan B, that's interesting. I think that would be very useful.

You guys are really getting me back into this.

Last night, I went to Cabelas Sporting goods to shop around Compound bows. SalesRep. asked me to try out Bowtech Diamond Razor Edge which I was holding. They have Archery range so he took the bow and brought it to shop to adjust the bow. Honestly, I dont know what the heck he is doing for 15min. While I waited at Archery range. Finally, he came out and handed it over to me. I put on trigger release then drew the bow. It was too easy for me. I shot arrows amd it was off. The range due to sight was out of alignment. I told him that I havent practice archery for 30 years. Biut told him that I did shot arrows with my brother's Diamond bow with 70 lbs draw. I asked him how much is draw lbs. He said 40 lbs draw. I told him I can do 70 lbs. He was surprised. He took bow back to shop and readjusted to maximum setting. After adjustment, he brought back and readjust sight till its corrected. I shot 3 arrows and it was better but off the bulleye range. I decide to mentally adjust the sight just about middle of its shaft then shot it. I hit bulleye and shot two more. He walked to see where arrows hit target. He was shocked that it was 1" diameter right in bulleye. He said Damn you're good. I tred again, same thing on other target. His coworker was behind me watching with unbelief. I asked them how many feet is the range, he said 20 ft. I told them I can do 30 ft with accuracy with my brother's bow. I asked him if I can try Bear Apretice bow. He quickly went out and grabbed Bear bow and handed it to me. I shot three arrows and it was out of alignment for same reason as Diamond. He readjusted sight and tested. Finally got it corrected. He handed over to me. I shot arrows to Coyote target and hit bulleye, same thing 1 inch diameter and both guys were amazed :eek2: He asked me if I wanted to maximize the draw to 70lbs. Yes I told him so he took it to shop and quickly adjusted to maximum then handed back to me. It was little tougher but I can manage with no problem so I told them Im going to shoot each arrows to each targets. I shot arrows and two bulleye and one little out of bulleye. They both shook their head with unbelief. He asked me which bow I like. Bear is the one I liked so I will think about it. He said good and let you know store is closing in 15 min and come back other time and shook my hand :lol:

Catty

yep. that's cabelas to ya! :lol:

love love love that store. it has a very good business style with high employee loyalty rating. I did originally think you should try out Diamond since it's a popular one out there.

when you go back again... ask the employee if he's a very good archer and if he is... let him try out your bow with your own adjusted sight. I'm curious to see how he fares.

I checked through Kansas Deer hunting regulation and here is the information that allow Urban Deer hunting. It only happens in Jan 1-13th of 2013. Archery permit would required to hunt deers in Urban area.

Urban Deer Management Sub-unit 19 & 10A / Deer / Hunting Regulations / Hunting / KDWPT - KDWPT

Catty

Yea, they have to lock it down, and rightfully so, if you are in an urban area. All it takes is one idiot to start a political firestorm and they would can it.

Stay safe out there when you go..

Yea, they have to lock it down, and rightfully so, if you are in an urban area. All it takes is one idiot to start a political firestorm and they would can it.

Stay safe out there when you go..

Yup, I agree. Usually City will assign spot where Archers can shoot deers. Which is a safe bet.

Catty

Just tonight, I went to Bass Pro in Olathe, KS to try out PSE Compound Bows. (Two "Big Box" Sporting goods just about 25 minutes apart. Bass Pro and Cabelas). I told the guy that I want try the bow in Archery range and their Archery Range is different and more plain than Cabelas. It's just basically 3 pieces of paper target pinned in the middle of the wall. The wall from floor to ceiling made of wafered plastic to catch wayside arrow. I prefer Cabelas better :giggle:

I shot three arrows at 10 yards and didn't hit bulleye because of sight out of alignment (Of course!). So I fiddle around second time and finally got two arrows just 1/2 inches each other just very close to bulleye. Then I asked guys if they can move far back to 20 yard (marked) and I shot arrow 20 yards and missed some then I went to target wall and pulled out two arrows and the 3rd was way off which hit just in between plastic wafered wall which is filled with Styrofoam sealant to fill in gap from ceiling to floor. It was really stuck and realizing that it's "nailed" into 2x4 stud :rofl: I could not pull it out with my strength so I called guy over to pull it out if he can. He was struggling and gave all of his strength he can muster but can't get it out. I told him that I guess it's really stuck now :rofl: I was laughing and he smiled so I told him I will just shoot two arrows and call the night. I shot two arrows and finally hit just very close to bullseye so not to bad. PSE bow is okay to me because it's kinda noisy when string hit the rubber stop. I like Bear Compound Bow which is much quieter than PSE.

That's my fun night with Compound Bow and nailed one arrow to stud is my best shot. :rofl:

Catty

I used to have a compound bow when I was young. It wasn't the kind used for hunting. It was nothing fancy. Just simple for use at the archery range.

Just saw episode five of Arrow which seems like a well written show. While it does have a Batman feel to it and I think he should lose the mask and maybe do a more dull green hood, the show does have chemistry.

It may be legal to own, but not legal to hunt or shoot on your property.
Good point.

According to our homeowners' association covenants:

"Section Twenty-Nine. Fireworks and Use of Firearms. The sale and use of fireworks of any kind whatsoever on the Lot is prohibited. The use of or discharge of firearms of any kind whatsoever is prohibited. Hunting of any kind, and by any method, including but not limited to firearms, traps, snares, bow and arrows, or manually propelled missiles is prohibited."

If it's just target practice, I don't know. :dunno:

One should probably check first.

Couple days ago I went to Cabelas and I bought a nice Compound Bow. It's Bear Mauler bow that I snatched in Bargain Bin Dept because Archery Dept. have sold out most bows, only $600 and up bows still hanging and couple of youth bow after Christmas. I asked them if they had Christmas sales, he told me no, just regular price all this week. It's a new bow but was "abused" by customer's handling and hung at Bargin Bins department, It was the only one bow left among line of Crossbows. The price was reduced to $305 from $450 for bare boned bow (except for cable and fully accessoried Mauler would cost $500) I took it downstair to Archery Dept to have it inspected. They told me the bow is in excellent shape, only the trigger area where string spiral on cable was loose. He fixed it and installed "D" string for triggering for free. I went ahead and puchased the bow.

I took it home and inspected the bow and found the cable on top "Idler Cam" was little crooked to left. I found out that the limb was little bent. I contacted Bear Archery co. via Email. They sent back Email and informing me that I should send back to Cabelas and have them tweak the limb. If the limb weak then Bear Archery will send new limbs free under warranty (have 5 years warranty on limbs). I deicde to keep the bow for good and have it fixed since I don't have anything on the bow like sight, whisker biscuit, limb saver, quiver (arrow holder), and stabilizer and trigger release. I contacted my brother to let him know I have new Compound Bow and sent pix of it. He was a little jealous that I have very nice bow with big cams :lol:.

Bear Mauler specs:
60 lbs draw (Adjustable from 50lbs to 70 lbs.. I can adjust it to 70 lbs anyway)
Draw Length: 29" (adjustable with by replacing cam module)
Axle to Axle: 31-1/4
Brace Height: 6-3/4
Mass weight: 3.9 lbs
Effective Letoff: 80%
IBO Speed: 328 fps (that's pretty fast, 10 fps faster than my brother's Diamond Rock bow :giggle: )

I fired the fully accessoried Mauler few weeks ago and it was so smooth and quiet. I loved that bow and now I have em'!!

I am going to save up some more $$'s for accessories for my bow and arrows (including tips too).

Here's the pix below. Some are a bit blurry due to my HTC EVO camera autofocus crashed and won't fix itself after reboot ( I guess I rooted my phone and wrecked few softwares in the phone oops!)

IMAG0430.jpg

IMAG0431.jpg

IMAG0433.jpg

IMAG0435.jpg

IMAG0436.jpg

I don't know much about compound bows, but I think the energy stored by the bow is greater. Given that, any problem with the limbs could be more dangerous. I'd definitely have the shop check it out and replace anything that needs replacing.

I took my bow to a shop this past week and they charged me $24 to go over the bow and give it a new string. I also looked at a take-down recurve which was really nice and I may get it. I don't like the grip on my bow, but a one piece is more silent so it would make a better hunting bow should I ever want to hunt. The shop has it's own range and I can shoot for a couple of hours when I pick up the bow. It is expensive to shoot on the range at 8.50+ per hour so I'm going to check if I can shoot at home with the local police. It's been 20 years, I doubt I can even shoot straight as I've forgotten how to breath.

Good luck with the new bow..

I don't know much about compound bows, but I think the energy stored by the bow is greater. Given that, any problem with the limbs could be more dangerous. I'd definitely have the shop check it out and replace anything that needs replacing.
in compound bows, the energy is in the cams.

I took my bow to a shop this past week and they charged me $24 to go over the bow and give it a new string. I also looked at a take-down recurve which was really nice and I may get it. I don't like the grip on my bow, but a one piece is more silent so it would make a better hunting bow should I ever want to hunt. The shop has it's own range and I can shoot for a couple of hours when I pick up the bow. It is expensive to shoot on the range at 8.50+ per hour so I'm going to check if I can shoot at home with the local police. It's been 20 years, I doubt I can even shoot straight as I've forgotten how to breath.

for your grip issue - try making your own with sugru - https://sugru.com/

Yes, exactly. The bow have stronger limbs for faster fps and bigger cams for smoother firing. Even it's my first bow, I know what I am doing. I am planning to send it to Cabelas to have it tweak the "quad" limbs to straighten up the Idler cam so cable would align perfectly on Cam rail. I already knew it's gonna be really painful if cable jumped off cam and snapped. Betcha you'll have long string of welt on your arm :eek2:

You should check out Youtube :lol:

Compound Bow Accident - YouTube

Dry Fire of a Compound Bow, Bow explosion - YouTube

Catty

in compound bows, the energy is in the cams.

for your grip issue - try making your own with sugru - https://sugru.com/

That is incorrect: Limbs are made of composite materials and are capable of taking high tensile and compressive forces. The limbs store all the energy of the bow — no energy is stored in the pulleys and cables

Also, the grip issue cannot be solved without taking out the wood.

Yes, exactly. The bow have stronger limbs for faster fps and bigger cams for smoother firing. Even it's my first bow, I know what I am doing. I am planning to send it to Cabelas to have it tweak the "quad" limbs to straighten up the Idler cam so cable would align perfectly on Cam rail. I already knew it's gonna be really painful if cable jumped off cam and snapped. Betcha you'll have long string of welt on your arm :eek2:

Catty

If the cable/pully let go at full draw, I'm guessing a bruise on your shoulder or perhaps as broken collar bone. But, that's just a guess.

I'll check out the video.

If the cable/pully let go at full draw, I'm guessing a bruise on your shoulder or perhaps as broken collar bone. But, that's just a guess.

I'll check out the video.

It may not break your coller bone, just bruise on your skin. 60lb or 70lbs force that is pulling cable straight constantly. Wrong handling or wrong kind of arrow (low grain arrow) would snap the cable. I learned that Bear Archery Co recommend replacing cable annually. I know most Archers don't bother replacing cable unless it's frayed. I checked Ebay for Bear Mauler cable, It cost $50 for replacement. I know nothing is cheap. The best way to maintain cable is to put wax on it and rub it to make it last longer.

Catty

It may not break your coller bone, just bruise on your skin. 60lb or 70lbs force that is pulling cable straight constantly. Wrong handling or wrong kind of arrow (low grain arrow) would snap the cable. I learned that Bear Archery Co recommend replacing cable annually. I know most Archers don't bother replacing cable unless it's frayed. I checked Ebay for Bear Mauler cable, It cost $50 for replacement. I know nothing is cheap. The best way to maintain cable is to put wax on it and rub it to make it last longer.

Catty

Good videos. My first thought was if the pulley/cam itself came lose. However, I'd be more worried about a limb itself coming lose in which case I'd suspect the broken collar bone. I don't know if compounds are take-down, but they must be three piece(two limbs and a riser). Perhaps it's a non issue. I'll look more into compound bows.

I know you know your stuff. I'm just always on the cautious side, even the best race horse can break a leg.

When I went to the store I told the guy I hadn't shot the bow in 20 years and he just seemed to think it was fine(no cracks). Still, didn't stop me from thinking about lemon wood splinters in my eyes. LOL.

Compound bows were not invented when I bought my Bear recurve. It was mostly wood with a laminate outer layer on the limbs. It was so beautiful I did not want to take it hunting. It was maple with rosewood inserts with gold leaf trim. Spent all my time target shooting and polishing the bow. :lol:

The archery range near our home had targets at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards. It was amazing watching some archers hit bullseye's at 100 yards. The twin balancers stuck out so far that they would have a hard time walking through woods to hunt.

After a couple of years, my dad bought one and we went whitetail hunting on my grandfather's Michigan farm. We always saw plenty of deer until we retrieved our bows from the car trunk. I think the deer were deliberately mocking us.

Sitting in the cold, snow and damp conditions, quietly for hours on end, finally got to me and i quit hunting. My arrows were fiberglass with razor tip and a smaller cross-set razor blade insert to create an initial clean flat strike, but then when the deer moved, the arrow would twist inside, doing damage.

Purplecatty: I think you got a pretty good deal.

Vacationguy234: I agree with you about stored energy. Just watch the bow ends bend. The cams only have tension when pulling back, then they rotate to a lesser pull at complete draw.

After watching the Youtubes, I remember dry firing was bad even on a recurve.

That is incorrect: Limbs are made of composite materials and are capable of taking high tensile and compressive forces. The limbs store all the energy of the bow — no energy is stored in the pulleys and cables

Also, the grip issue cannot be solved without taking out the wood.

um.................. no...........

what do you think what cams are for in compound bow??? you're confusing compound bow with recurve bow made of composite material.

The Modern Compound Bow - Bob Robb | Sportsman's Guide
t00008.jpg

Here are three kinds of cams: (left to right) hard, soft and round. Hard cams store the most energy resulting in the most speed; soft cams are smooth and also have some speed; and round cams are smooth but slower than the other types.

the thing about compound bow is that if its draw length is set up for say... 26"... then you need to draw it fully at 26". you cannot draw more than that. but when it comes to recurve bow - you can draw it to any length you want. beautiful.

Catty

the first video = I remember how that felt... :cold:

Back