Cochlear Implant Patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zebadee if you want to connect with other nuc 5 users you can join the cochlear community
there are a lot of ppl there that can answer any specific q's you have on the N5 or cochlear or the remote etc

zebadee2010, you only have 3 weeks to get activated, I like this as I hate the waiting 4 weeks, I can't wait to see how you will do, seeing you losing your hearing at such young age and all of sudden I'm hoping that the new year brings happiness to you more than ever.

zebadee2010, you only have 3 weeks to get activated, I like this as I hate the waiting 4 weeks, I can't wait to see how you will do, seeing you losing your hearing at such young age and all of sudden I'm hoping that the new year brings happiness to you more than ever.

thanks plenty! we told them that i had a job to do in january and they said we could do it a few weeks earlier. it was going to be january 16th and 17th.. not 6th and 7th. so i'm hoping in those few weeks i'll learn to hear well enough to work. they as many others have said that i should do better since i only recently lost my hearing and can still talk just fine.

And make sure that you having time for all the frequently mapping appointments setup as well. Hopefully that will help you to get up to speed quickly as your ears and brain adjust.

I Wish you luck with your Implant. I'm getting a implant on the 28th of December. Keep us informed on how you are doing. I'm profound in both ears but at this point choose just to get 1 implant and if that goes well maybe next year I'll have the 2nd done.

Deb

I Wish you luck with your Implant. I'm getting a implant on the 28th of December. Keep us informed on how you are doing. I'm profound in both ears but at this point choose just to get 1 implant and if that goes well maybe next year I'll have the 2nd done.

Deb

Hi Deb1hd, good luck with your implant, are you getting N5?

I haven't decided as to witch one I'm getting yet... I'm thinking the C5. I have pre op on the 16 of December and will make my decision then... One thing I haven't seen mention here is the fact out of the 3 implants they have only 2 of them are MRI friendly witch means that the magnet can be removed if you have to have a MRI. and At your young age I would take this in concideration. excuse my typos i haven't downloaded spell check yet... gonna do that right now....lol

Deb

What if anything is "accomplished" by PFH thesis of "wetting today"?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

If you need to ask that question, the only thing I can recommend is counseling.

Well, we really don't know for sure whether or not they'll come up somewhere down the road. Rather than making it sound like it's definite that they won't come up sometime in the future.

Thus, a better way to state it would be something along the lines of "that even if a CI gives you better hearing, you'll still be technically deaf. Cause you'll still be deaf when you take the device off". Rather than just stating that "you'll be deaf forever" cause we really don't know for a fact if that'll be the case.

See the difference?

Nope. And the fact that you keep trying to find a way not to be deaf explains your screen name.

I haven't decided as to witch one I'm getting yet... I'm thinking the C5. I have pre op on the 16 of December and will make my decision then... One thing I haven't seen mention here is the fact out of the 3 implants they have only 2 of them are MRI friendly witch means that the magnet can be removed if you have to have a MRI. and At your young age I would take this in concideration. excuse my typos i haven't downloaded spell check yet... gonna do that right now....lol

Deb

All are "MRI friendly". It just depends on the teslas. You can have magnet removed by surgery and then put back in after surgery for a full MRI. But on some you can get a low power MRI at like .2 or .3 teslas instead of 1.5 teslas. While this isn't full power it is a high quality MRI.

Deb

I wish i could have it done in both ears but my left cochlea is cracked so they said not might now but possibly later..

And i'll try and keep everyone updated on my journey as ill still be bored for the next 3 weeks! lol

I wish i could have it done in both ears but my left cochlea is cracked so they said not might now but possibly later..

And i'll try and keep everyone updated on my journey as ill still be bored for the next 3 weeks! lol[/QUOTE]

Zebadee, how is it you have a cracked cochlea?

On the other hand in the medical news I have heard that 3 teslas MRI units are becoming more common.

zebadee2010,

I'm not sure if you mentioned previously, but what is the type of job that you hope to start in early January ?

Also - it's worth mentioning, since you were focused on music as a possible career path that numerous official studies of post-lingually implanted CI users, CI manufacturers as well as many CI users themselves have stated that they are unable to distinguish pitches equal to or closer than a quarter of an 8va apart (meaning if two pitches were played back to back and they were 1/4 of an octave (or less) apart you'd being "guessing" if they were the SAME pitch or a different pitch).

The CI is not even remotely close to being able to distinguish if a specific pitch is 'in tune' or not (ie by listening if one "A" is A440 while another is A442 etc).
This is simply beyond the technology of any CI right now or for the foreseeable future.

I would strongly recommend that if you haven't already done so you find and regularly see a therapist as well as a psychologist to help you on this journey.

You are hoping that with the CI you will become "hearing" ... however this is not reality (and hoping really hard won't make it so). The CI will HOPEFULLY allow you to access at least some speech sounds ... however you mentioned that you have various types of damage to the cochlea - damage that may or may not impact how well the device will work for you.

While those who go through the implantation process always HOPE that they'll be one of the (many) who are able to hear and UNDERSTAND speech etc ... there are still those who are able to hear speech but not understand/process it in a meaningful way.
There are those who do ok in person, but are unable to use the phone even after years.

You will have a very long, hard journey ahead of you ... and to think that working everyday for a few weeks is going to get you to the point that you hear AND understand speech - is something that I think you really really need to discuss with your CI team in a frank and honest manner. I also think that you really need to discuss your over all expectations for what the implant is able to do with your team.

Best outcome - you'll be able to understand speech etc once you're implanted WHILE you wear the CI ... but you'll still have situations were you will be entirely deaf.

You'll need to make sure that you have an alarmclock such as a Sonic Boom that have a tactile (vibrating) and/or visual signal to wake you (you're not living with mum forever!).

You'll have to have visual smoke/fire/carbon monoxide detectors (you don't sleep with the CI on).

You'll need think about sports, recreation etc and how to stay safe

You might be able to hear with the implant - but you will also be deaf. forever.

While you might not think that learning ASL etc is useful now ... I know a number of people who had normal hearing, went deaf, were implanted and thought they'd be "basically hearing again" ... then found out that they really struggled with speech in many environments (espeically if they are unilaterally implanted) and started learning ASL to supplement their spoken language especially for situations where the CI has to be removed (bathing, swimming, water parks, some contact sports etc)

And make sure that you having time for all the frequently mapping appointments setup as well. Hopefully that will help you to get up to speed quickly as your ears and brain adjust.
Yes, a CI user will get mappings more often at the beginning. Like once every 3 months before eventually expanding to about once every 6 months.

Anij, very nicely said :), I've always been fascinated with ASL do you know how it is to learn?

You might be able to hear with the implant - but you will also be deaf. forever.
Yes, the CI user will still be deaf after the implant, especially when he or she takes the device off.

But as for "forever", got a crystal ball?

zebadee2010,

I'm not sure if you mentioned previously, but what is the type of job that you hope to start in early January ?

The CI is not even remotely close to being able to distinguish if a specific pitch is 'in tune' or not (ie by listening if one "A" is A440 while another is A442 etc).
This is simply beyond the technology of any CI right now or for the foreseeable future.

I would strongly recommend that if you haven't already done so you find and regularly see a therapist as well as a psychologist to help you on this journey.

You are hoping that with the CI you will become "hearing" ... however this is not reality (and hoping really hard won't make it so). The CI will HOPEFULLY allow you to access at least some speech sounds ... however you mentioned that you have various types of damage to the cochlea - damage that may or may not impact how well the device will work for you.

While those who go through the implantation process always HOPE that they'll be one of the (many) who are able to hear and UNDERSTAND speech etc ... there are still those who are able to hear speech but not understand/process it in a meaningful way.
There are those who do ok in person, but are unable to use the phone even after years.

You will have a very long, hard journey ahead of you ... and to think that working everyday for a few weeks is going to get you to the point that you hear AND understand speech - is something that I think you really really need to discuss with your CI team in a frank and honest manner. I also think that you really need to discuss your over all expectations for what the implant is able to do with your team.

Best outcome - you'll be able to understand speech etc once you're implanted WHILE you wear the CI ... but you'll still have situations were you will be entirely deaf.

You'll need to make sure that you have an alarmclock such as a Sonic Boom that have a tactile (vibrating) and/or visual signal to wake you (you're not living with mum forever!).

You'll have to have visual smoke/fire/carbon monoxide detectors (you don't sleep with the CI on).

You'll need think about sports, recreation etc and how to stay safe

While you might not think that learning ASL etc is useful now ... I know a number of people who had normal hearing, went deaf, were implanted and thought they'd be "basically hearing again" ... then found out that they really struggled with speech in many environments (espeically if they are unilaterally implanted) and started learning ASL to supplement their spoken language especially for situations where the CI has to be removed (bathing, swimming, water parks, some contact sports etc)

The job i'm going to be working is a christian winter conference. I'll be doing the words on the screen for the song lyrics. I don't have to be able to distinguish different pitches and such just overall lyrics.

Also the cochlea damage is only to one ear, and for the person who asked I got it from hitting my head on concrete floor from a 3 1/2 foot drop. They say that my right ear is just fine, minus the hearing part.

I don't need a therapist or psychiatrist. I'll be just fine without one. I feel as though you don't have one of these and just look down upon them as I have found out many people are able to understand speech upon activation day.

Working hard is the only way to success, and I feel that this helps my chances a lot more than just taking it slowly! I also think that its dumb to say have a discussion with my audiologist because right now I cant hear!

As for the time being I think that i'll be fine without an alarm clock, I don't see why I couldn't wear it at night. And as for a visual alarm clock, or a visual smoke/fire detector. I don't see how either of these would help me while i'm asleep.

I've never been a sports person and now i'm out of high school so i don't really have any teams i could play for if i wanted too. I'm a nature person, I like taking pictures and playing xbox or messing on the computer.

And sure I'll be "deaf forever" when its off, but when its on i'll get to continue to see the world with sound. Its been so hard for me not being able to hear anything. I can barely walk because I can't hear anything. I'm putting all of this in God's hands. If he wants me to hear in time to work it will be so. If he doesn't that will also be so. He is the great Physician. He is the ultimate Doctor who can heal and do anything if He wants.

Is it likely that after a year my natural hearing will come back? No.

Does that mean its not possible? No.

So until then I'm going to stick with my God and let him guide me.
It must suck when all you have to do in life is try and put someone else down..

Hi Zebadee, my then-nearly-2-YO received her first of two CIs and started responding to sounds immediately, turning to her name within an hour. She had rapid language development, then slowed language development, and with a 2nd CI, her language went through the roof. She plays piano and can play the same notes someone hums behind her head (I know, she shouldn't have such recognition of pitch, but she does). She plays soccer, does gymnastics, paddles a kayak, is extremely active with CI on (and off). She signs, speaks and hears beautifully.

I have no concerns that she'll be limited, as it may seem people are suggesting you will. That can be taken as a pretty negative and discriminating attitude, and it's one we fight against -- even in ourselves. If my daughter's CIs both failed tomorrow, I'd feel the same. No limitations, just a different way of doing things.

Perhaps, though, people are just cautioning you to temper your expectations initially. The CI isn't a magic bullet, and maybe something else will, but a CI won't "fix" your deafness. It may be a real pain in the ass sometimes. It may do all that you hope. But I found that the most wonderful thing about going into the adventure with VERY low expectations was that every discovery was an utter delight, every sound made possible, every word comprehended, sentences, music, everything that was accessible and available was a wonder, an amazing occurrence. And we've never had any downside (eh, well, maybe some during two months when we had repeated coil failures requiring a lot of 'off' time while things were in transit and we were traveling -- but that only made us appreciate it all the more).

I hope you find the same. Best of luck.

As for the time being I think that i'll be fine without an alarm clock, I don't see why I couldn't wear it at night. And as for a visual alarm clock, or a visual smoke/fire detector. I don't see how either of these would help me while i'm asleep. >>>>
if you don't take processor off, it will fall off itself while you are sleeping.

The job i'm going to be working is a christian winter conference. I'll be doing the words on the screen for the song lyrics. I don't have to be able to distinguish different pitches and such just overall lyrics.

Also the cochlea damage is only to one ear, and for the person who asked I got it from hitting my head on concrete floor from a 3 1/2 foot drop. They say that my right ear is just fine, minus the hearing part.

I don't need a therapist or psychiatrist. I'll be just fine without one. I feel as though you don't have one of these and just look down upon them as I have found out many people are able to understand speech upon activation day.

Working hard is the only way to success, and I feel that this helps my chances a lot more than just taking it slowly! I also think that its dumb to say have a discussion with my audiologist because right now I cant hear!

As for the time being I think that i'll be fine without an alarm clock, I don't see why I couldn't wear it at night. And as for a visual alarm clock, or a visual smoke/fire detector. I don't see how either of these would help me while i'm asleep.

I've never been a sports person and now i'm out of high school so i don't really have any teams i could play for if i wanted too. I'm a nature person, I like taking pictures and playing xbox or messing on the computer.

And sure I'll be "deaf forever" when its off, but when its on i'll get to continue to see the world with sound. Its been so hard for me not being able to hear anything. I can barely walk because I can't hear anything. I'm putting all of this in God's hands. If he wants me to hear in time to work it will be so. If he doesn't that will also be so. He is the great Physician. He is the ultimate Doctor who can heal and do anything if He wants.

Is it likely that after a year my natural hearing will come back? No.

Does that mean its not possible? No.

You are a nasty little boy aren't you? Anij is one of the nicest people here and was only trying to help you.

:barf:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back