Cochlear Implant Patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are pushing your luck getting speech by then!! it's not instant fix, it takes time and training to get your implant right for you. You will be starting off with very basic map!

It's very rare to be able to hear speech on the day of activaction

This blows me... all I can say is good luck and hope you won't be very disappointed.

As I recall being activated in Aug/07 I heard right right away-odd sounds and strange speech sounds. Even went to a singles dance 3 days after. Weirder again- strange music. The Implant was mapped again and things sounded a bit more real.
The basic idea was to leave the Implant all the time and try to get used to all the sounds that I haven't "heard before" with my hearing aid in the past.
It took extended time till I got used to the new sounds. Yeah it will be YOU that tells the audi what you are hearing.
Again good luck in your new Hearing journey

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Wirelessly posted

Hey, why does someone who already have speech need speech therapy? I think you mean auditory therapy. Like practicing their listening skills with CI .

Hi Deafgal, yes I think I meant the auditory therapy, sorry, I'm not a CI user, I use hearing aids but have been researching CI for a while

Again I'm not trying to be mean or sound offensive in anyway. Me having hearing before all these terms are used often. Quite frankly I know this is an "all deaf" forum but there are clearly people here who are not all deaf. HA and CI's help you hear. I'm just trying to figure out what I can expect from my CI and anything that might be helpful when picking one out,
Cost isn't an issue, not to say that we are rich, but mom has great health insurance.
Having to work at it has already been established, and I plan on doing so everyday for 2 weeks just so that I can understand speech well enough to work January 15-19.
I know it will be a struggle and I know it won't be normal hearint (that's half of my problem with it) but it will be speech (again no disrespect) but speech is far faster and more effecive than ASL. And if all you're going to post is negative stuff then please don't post it. If you have something helpful other than hearing sucks then by all meas feel free to post it..

I'm sorry but as far as I know you will need at least 3-4 weeks post your surgery to get activated, so basically if you will have the surgery on Dec.14th, you will be activated after Jan.10th, you will need several weeks to several months to start hearing good, that if the CI is going to work for you, and since you are new to this and have never used lip reading it will be quite hard to get everything right first week, you may need to tell your employer what happened to you and try to let them delay the job offer for few weeks or at least 2 months or let them understand that you will do your best and you will need few weeks to get used to the new CI, people will understand this and if your new employer do not understand it this may be called discrimination. Just take it easy now and things will come your way

Wirelessly posted

zebadee2010 said:
Again I'm not trying to be mean or sound offensive in anyway. Me having hearing before all these terms are used often. Quite frankly I know this is an "all deaf" forum but there are clearly people here who are not all deaf. HA and CI's help you hear. I'm just trying to figure out what I can expect from my CI and anything that might be helpful when picking one out,

Cost isn't an issue, not to say that we are rich, but mom has great health insurance.

Having to work at it has already been established, and I plan on doing so everyday for 2 weeks just so that I can understand speech well enough to work January 15-19.

I know it will be a struggle and I know it won't be normal hearint (that's half of my problem with it) but it will be speech (again no disrespect) but speech is far faster and more effecive than ASL. And if all you're going to post is negative stuff then please don't post it. If you have something helpful other than hearing sucks then by all meas feel free to post it..

Cost will affect you. Just because your parents are paying for it does mean it is free. When you leave home, you'll see how expensive it can get. And don't be surprised if you get in a romantic conversation with someone, and all a sudden your conversation goes * snip snip* as if someone cut off conversation all because something simple like dead batteries. We learned to embrace it. You more likely be visual rather it is hearing with CI aided with lipreading or ASL. Or if you lucky, you do fine without any visual aid.

As far as brand, I was told AB does well with music. I do not know if it really any difference. I deaf since birth so I have NO IDEA how music suppose to sound like. The music I can hear can only be heard from me and I wouldn't be able to duplicate what I hear to a hearing person.

Last edited:
I'm just trying to figure out what I can expect from my CI and anything that might be helpful when picking one out,

Okay.....

You have come to a website that is full of deaf people from all walks of life, where many are perfectly happy with their situation, and to come in and imply "Being deaf sucks. ASL is useless. I am getting a CI soon. What will I hear?".

We can give you ideas on what we get from CI's, and can give you pointers on how to get by on being deaf. Some of us don't feel the need to hear. Some of us need to hear more.

We understand that you lost your hearing suddenly, and you've lost a vital part of yourself, and you are still young and quite upset.

It is much harder for hearing people to adapt to the deafness than it is for a person that became deaf at a very young age. We have learned to adapt early on.

We are more than willing to help you, but you need to show a little respect and ask questions without insulting us.

It also sounds like you have your hopes way up too high about the CI. Take our advice when we say "it takes a long time to understand the new sounds".

How are you communicating with people right now while not hearing anything?

1721738 said:
Okay.....
You have come to a website that is full of deaf people from all walks of life, where many are perfectly happy with their situation, and to come in and imply "Being deaf sucks. ASL is useless. I am getting a CI soon. What will I hear?".

We can give you ideas on what we get from CI's, and can give you pointers on how to get by on being deaf. Some of us don't feel the need to hear. Some of us need to hear more.

We understand that you lost your hearing suddenly, and you've lost a vital part of yourself, and you are still young and quite upset.

It is much harder for hearing people to adapt to the deafness than it is for a person that became deaf at a very young age. We have learned to adapt early on.

We are more than willing to help you, but you need to show a little respect and ask questions without insulting us.

It also sounds like you have your hopes way up too high about the CI. Take our advice when we say "it takes a long time to understand the new sounds".

How are you communicating with people right now while not hearing anything?

I didn't say that ASL is useless for you guys it isn't at all useless. I'm just saying its not that efficient compared to speech. Not meaning that in a bratty or stuck up way. Secondly I know it is called "AllDeaf.com" but again that doesn't mean that everyone is deaf. Also I titled it "Cochlear Implant Patients" so that hopefully it would have been directed towards people with them or people who are considering them.

Although I must say thank you for the way you handled this. I took it as you trying to make a statement without sounding rude. And I thank you for that.

I'm glad you've adapted early on because for me personally becoming deaf after hearing seems to be like you all hearing after being deaf so long. I'm not trying to offend anyone with this post or anything i say in any of my posts. I'm just trying to get some answers about the implants and how people respond to them and how well they work for people.

Also on the insulting you all part. I don't intend on it it just seems to happen. Apparently your view of things are different from those of mine. You all apparently take offense to things more easily. I got fussed at for using the word patient. I didn't think that was offensive i just though it was the correct term.

As far as current communication goes I/we have been using a dry erase board and or computer to write/type things. and some of the more basic things i can lip read such as number and things like bathroom or food.

And lastly on the CI, I know that my hopes are way high. But a lot of things wouldn't be the way they are today if someone didn't have there hopes up high at some point in time. My hopes are high simply because I have a job 2 weeks after activation that is a good Christian youth camp that i think benefits a lot of people. My job there is of great importance and having someone else do it results in different outcomes. But I have huge intentions with this CI and I am going to be working at it day and night to understand things.

I have had to do a lot since not being able to hear. I had to stop school of all things. Didn't have long left either. I'm not looking for sympathy but i'm also not looking to be ran off either. I don't hate any of you and I think everyone should be treated equally. The world does not do this but thats the way God made it.

and just for the record mom works at a place that can have major injuries so health insurance is great with her. I know its expensive but I also have CF which has its list of charges as well. Medicine costs are huge.

I didn't say that ASL is useless for you guys it isn't at all useless. I'm just saying its not that efficient compared to speech. Not meaning that in a bratty or stuck up way. Secondly I know it is called "AllDeaf.com" but again that doesn't mean that everyone is deaf. Also I titled it "Cochlear Implant Patients" so that hopefully it would have been directed towards people with them or people who are considering them.

Although I must say thank you for the way you handled this. I took it as you trying to make a statement without sounding rude. And I thank you for that.

I'm glad you've adapted early on because for me personally becoming deaf after hearing seems to be like you all hearing after being deaf so long. I'm not trying to offend anyone with this post or anything i say in any of my posts. I'm just trying to get some answers about the implants and how people respond to them and how well they work for people.

Also on the insulting you all part. I don't intend on it it just seems to happen. Apparently your view of things are different from those of mine. You all apparently take offense to things more easily. I got fussed at for using the word patient. I didn't think that was offensive i just though it was the correct term.

As far as current communication goes I/we have been using a dry erase board and or computer to write/type things. and some of the more basic things i can lip read such as number and things like bathroom or food.

And lastly on the CI, I know that my hopes are way high. But a lot of things wouldn't be the way they are today if someone didn't have there hopes up high at some point in time. My hopes are high simply because I have a job 2 weeks after activation that is a good Christian youth camp that i think benefits a lot of people. My job there is of great importance and having someone else do it results in different outcomes. But I have huge intentions with this CI and I am going to be working at it day and night to understand things.

I have had to do a lot since not being able to hear. I had to stop school of all things. Didn't have long left either. I'm not looking for sympathy but i'm also not looking to be ran off either. I don't hate any of you and I think everyone should be treated equally. The world does not do this but thats the way God made it.

and just for the record mom works at a place that can have major injuries so health insurance is great with her. I know its expensive but I also have CF which has its list of charges as well. Medicine costs are huge.

you do not need to stop school. Ask for CART.

you do not need to stop school. Ask for CART.

Not only that but the school system should have been sending assignments and a tutor while he was still in the hospital.

I had a friend end up emobilized in a body cast in the hospital for I think about six months, and he didn't lose a minute of school.

Zebadee,

I think you need to discuss with your audiologist about the expectation's they have for your outcome. No one can really predict how well you will do with the implant. My audi told me to keep my expectations low and to look at each day as something new. Going into activation with this mind set can help alot. Not everyone can hear speech on the first day, But there are some who do. Having a CI is a lifetime commitment. So be prepared to do what work you may need to do in rehab to achieve better results. I wish you luck with your journey. Just keep a level head and try not to think to much about what to expect just go with the flow and try hard everyday.

It is a start.

I lost my hearing when I was 4 years old, and I vividly remember being in the hospital with probes sucking stuff out of my ears. I was young enough to adapt quickly. Thankfully I was too young to notice people treating me like a freak show.

I had a great pre-K teacher that taught me how to read lips. First we memorized fingerspelling only. Every main word she spoke included the first letter of the word next to her mouth. Within a few weeks I was good at reading most peoples' lips.

I lived the next 14 years as the only deaf kid in school, getting by on lipreading and hearing aids. It was tough. My parents did not like how my speech got clumsy and made me take speech therapy until I graduated from high school. I did not know ASL until I went to college with other deafies like me. ASL made my life much, much easier and more fun.

Hopefully your CI will be a success for you. CI's usually are more successful in late-deafened people since their brains are already developed around sound. Your brain will adapt to the new sounds, it is a matter of how long.

I've always wondered why it happened to me, but there is no answer. We all have a reason to be here, and things happen for a reason.

As you are finding out, your deafness brings out people's true colors. Your true friends will stick with you and adapt to your needs. Same goes for family members.

Stick around, ask questions, and yes, we have a few members that are anti-hearing, just ignore anyone that makes you feel bad. :cool2:

It is a start.

I've always wondered why it happened to me, but there is no answer. We all have a reason to be here, and things happen for a reason.

As you are finding out, your deafness brings out people's true colors. Your true friends will stick with you and adapt to your needs. Same goes for family members.

Green427, very beautifully said

It is a start.

I lost my hearing when I was 4 years old, and I vividly remember being in the hospital with probes sucking stuff out of my ears. I was young enough to adapt quickly. Thankfully I was too young to notice people treating me like a freak show.

I had a great pre-K teacher that taught me how to read lips. First we memorized fingerspelling only. Every main word she spoke included the first letter of the word next to her mouth. Within a few weeks I was good at reading most peoples' lips.

I lived the next 14 years as the only deaf kid in school, getting by on lipreading and hearing aids. It was tough. My parents did not like how my speech got clumsy and made me take speech therapy until I graduated from high school. I did not know ASL until I went to college with other deafies like me. ASL made my life much, much easier and more fun.

Hopefully your CI will be a success for you. CI's usually are more successful in late-deafened people since their brains are already developed around sound. Your brain will adapt to the new sounds, it is a matter of how long.

As you are finding out, your deafness brings out people's true colors. Your true friends will stick with you and adapt to your needs. Same goes for family members. Stick around, ask questions, and yes, we have a few members that are anti-hearing, just ignore anyone that makes you feel bad. :cool2:

Well said. This is no further from the truth. Life is a roller coaster.

I didn't say that ASL is useless for you guys it isn't at all useless. I'm just saying its not that efficient compared to speech.

If you could read signs..... you will discover very quickly that sign language is 5-10 times faster than spoken language. :)

If you cant say that's efficient - gl, hf.

The only problem with PFH hypothesis-how many persons are there- that are "speedy" in using signs- interacting with zebadee 2010?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
It's not a question of how many there are. For those who do know ASL, it is WAY faster. We speak (maybe not literally) from experience. Those who don't know ASL, then obviously it would not be faster.

Zebadee,

One thing you could do is to meet other late deafened people that currently has a CI or had just gotten one. You could meet them in CI support groups or through an organization that tend to be populated among the hearing-impaired, late deafened or hard of hearing such as the Hearing Loss Association of America.

Hope this helps?

There is also ALDA (Association of Late-Deafened Adults) as well. I gave a presentation during their convention in Colorado Springs this past summer.

It is a start.

Stick around, ask questions, and yes, we have a few members that are anti-hearing, just ignore anyone that makes you feel bad. :cool2:

Thanks for the advice about particular members. I"m not hear to cause trouble, just to find some understanding. And most of the people i know have helped me. I had quite a big role at our church and so everyone knew me and really liked me. Most of my friends are adapting. It does make the whole thing easier and having things like facebook help too.

Also on the school issue, i couldn't continue because when i feel i was out cold for 2 weeks. and afterwards i couldn't hear not walk so i would have needed someone with me non stop. i had classes from 9-11. and 2-3. its to long for my mom to take me and pick me up and also a lot of waiting in between classes.

Life is a journey, full of experiences. I'm not here to criticize people, just get the facts on CIs. I'm not planning on being deaf forever. I'm going to do everything I can to get better as soon as possible. I've considered learning ASL but it seems to difficult. my hands don't move that fast.

There is also ALDA (Association of Late-Deafened Adults) as well. I gave a presentation during their convention in Colorado Springs this past summer.

A little aside here....did you have the opportunity to visit the school for the deaf there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back