Cochlear Implant Patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not going to score a lot of points with that. :roll:

Many of us here are early-deafened. We can't miss what we never had. And a CI won't restore to us what you had before you became deaf.

And for those who are late-deafened, they know what they are missing, CI or not.

I'll be sure and let my son know that his life is soooo empty.:giggle:

I'm not planning on being deaf forever
Sorry, but you will be deaf even after getting the CI. It is only an "assistive listening device", not a cure for deafness.

There is also ALDA (Association of Late-Deafened Adults) as well. I gave a presentation during their convention in Colorado Springs this past summer.
Yes, I had forgotten that one. I did think there was another organization similar to HLAA but couldn't quite pinpoint it. Thanks for posting it in here!

Sorry, but you will be deaf even after getting the CI. It is only an "assistive listening device", not a cure for deafness.
That although you're right, that a CI is technically speaking not a cure for deafness. However, we still really don't know if something else will still not come along somewhere down the road such as hair cell regeneration, stem cells research, gene therapy, etc, just to mention a few.

That although you're right, that a CI is technically speaking not a cure for deafness. However, we still really don't know if something else will still not come along somewhere down the road such as hair cell regeneration, stem cells research, gene therapy, etc, just to mention a few.

When you live with one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, you piss all over today.:cool2:

What if anything is "accomplished" by PFH thesis of "wetting today"?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

What if anything is "accomplished" by PFH thesis of "wetting today"?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

john57, see my post #60 on the bottom of the previous page....hate being on the bottom of pages; they often get missed.

As it may be an assistive listening device it is still a listening device.
I may not be able to hear while its off but when its on I can have my life back.

Forums are not a away to cure questions, they are just a different way of asking them.

So to my question. To those with cochlear implants
How was the pain after surgery?

Not too bad. I took pain meds for a 1 1/2 day and then stopped. It was quite manageable after that.

Did you have ringing in your ears afterwards?

None. I was mildly affected by tinnitus before and went to nothing.

Are you able to greatly understand at concerts?

If you are referring to music, very good. If you are referring to understanding lyrics, that depends on the song and singer.

For example, "I can see clearly now that the rain is gone" is a pretty easy song to listen to and understand. On the other hand, Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" isn't easy in terms of the words. FYI - Obviously, I'm a 70's child. ;-)

From what I understand, there are many hearing who don't get all the lyrics either. I only knew of one hearing friend that could understand any song/lyric that was sung.

How long did it take you to be able to hear again?

I heard on day one and never looked back. Speech was also on day one as well. What befuddled me at first was classifying all the environmental sounds as I was hearing the higher pitches I really didn't hear before. That took a little longer as all the sounds I was used to via my HA I had to relearn with my CI. FYI - I always had a HA since three starting off mildly severe to very severe and essentially profoundly deaf prior to my CI at age 47.

What do you do as far as taking showers and or swimming or getting in the ocean?

Whether one has a HA or CI, you simply take it off and do your thing. Somethings never change! :D

Which company do you prefer Cochlear, Advanced Bionics, or MED-EL? (we chose med el but the doctor told us we should get cochlear.)

You just have to go with your gut feeling after asking many questions and talking with others who have one. I went with Cochlear. It was the right decision for me...hands down.

For the musically advanced is the frequency range great or highly limited?

A CI is definitely limited as it's focus is on speech. It has been in the last couple of years where they now are trying to get better results with music. Due to the limitations of the dynamic range, one can only go so far.

Having said that, I love music and it sounds great with my CI.

Bottomline...it varies from person to the next. You should do pretty well as you had been hearing until very recently. But since you had hearing, you will notice the difference more dramatically that I ever would have. For me, I was hearing better than before. For you, you will know what you are "missing". Still, a CI can be very good means to regain a good bit of hearing.

sr171soars, very nice of you to respond in details for all of these questions, I know I was not the one who asked them but you did great job in helping others including me :)
It nice to see some people doing good with CI, it gives me a lot of hope

Not too bad. I took pain meds for a 1 1/2 day and then stopped. It was quite manageable after that.

None. I was mildly affected by tinnitus before and went to nothing.

If you are referring to music, very good. If you are referring to understanding lyrics, that depends on the song and singer.

For example, "I can see clearly now that the rain is gone" is a pretty easy song to listen to and understand. On the other hand, Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" isn't easy in terms of the words. FYI - Obviously, I'm a 70's child. ;-)

From what I understand, there are many hearing who don't get all the lyrics either. I only knew of one hearing friend that could understand any song/lyric that was sung.

I heard on day one and never looked back. Speech was also on day one as well. What befuddled me at first was classifying all the environmental sounds as I was hearing the higher pitches I really didn't hear before. That took a little longer as all the sounds I was used to via my HA I had to relearn with my CI. FYI - I always had a HA since three starting off mildly severe to very severe and essentially profoundly deaf prior to my CI at age 47.

Whether one has a HA or CI, you simply take it off and do your thing. Somethings never change! :D

You just have to go with your gut feeling after asking many questions and talking with others who have one. I went with Cochlear. It was the right decision for me...hands down.

A CI is definitely limited as it's focus is on speech. It has been in the last couple of years where they now are trying to get better results with music. Due to the limitations of the dynamic range, one can only go so far.

Having said that, I love music and it sounds great with my CI.

Bottomline...it varies from person to the next. You should do pretty well as you had been hearing until very recently. But since you had hearing, you will notice the difference more dramatically that I ever would have. For me, I was hearing better than before. For you, you will know what you are "missing". Still, a CI can be very good means to regain a good bit of hearing.

Thanks a lot this has more or less been what i've been looking for. It was very helpful and has given me some hope. I will say that you are probably right about me knowing what is missing. But i'll be glad to be able to hear something other than ringing and crickets.. Thanks a lot though

zebadee2010, are you set on Dec.14th surgery date? what brand? best luck for you, can't wait to see you activated :)

A little aside here....did you have the opportunity to visit the school for the deaf there?

I have meet students from the school and I know poeple at the Colorado Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing as well.

zebadee2010, are you set on Dec.14th surgery date? what brand? best luck for you, can't wait to see you activated :)

yeah december 14th, activation on january 6th and 7th. with a nucleus 5. cochlear i think. and thanks for the support

When you live with one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, you piss all over today.:cool2:
Well, we really don't know for sure whether or not they'll come up somewhere down the road. Rather than making it sound like it's definite that they won't come up sometime in the future.

Thus, a better way to state it would be something along the lines of "that even if a CI gives you better hearing, you'll still be technically deaf. Cause you'll still be deaf when you take the device off". Rather than just stating that "you'll be deaf forever" cause we really don't know for a fact if that'll be the case.

See the difference?

yeah december 14th, activation on january 6th and 7th. with a nucleus 5. cochlear i think. and thanks for the support
There are CI support groups out there whereas you could interact with other CI users, including some that may have had them for some time and so forth. And best of luck with your surgery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back