Cochlear Implant Patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the reason you should seek therapy as suggested by Anij.
As born deaf, I still have lots of frustration, but anyone late deafened has a huge adjustment to make.

And the way you are spreading your unrealistic hopes hostilely around here, you need to have a therapist lined up for when you get your CI>

Actually I thought you had to have it before you got the CI.

Agreed. Adjustment to disability issues account for about 22% of counseling clients.

well, it's ok to be angry but don't come in here and pity us by saying "you missing alot" - to me that's judging lifestyle of other deaf people.

Lifestyle is how you live your life.
For me 85% of my life was music. And to not be able to do that anymore, I'm missing quite a lot.

Deaf people, can see signed music and perhaps feel it but they can't get the same emotion out of it as you do when you hear an artist suddenly drop the music or change keys to emphasize a certain part.

And not meaning any offense as i'm now just giving a realistic view not a judgmental one.

For me 85% of my life was music. And to not be able to do that anymore, I'm missing quite a lot.

Deaf people, can see signed music and perhaps feel it but they can't get the same emotion out of it as you do when you hear an artist suddenly drop the music or change keys to emphasize a certain part.

And not meaning any offense as i'm now just giving a realistic view not a judgmental one.

Lots of us don't care at all. Wait until you see what you hear with CI>

Light guy is a reasonable expectation. But even with a CI, the chances of being able to work as a sound man is slim. There are very few hearing people that have the ability to determine pitch and blend and hear harmonies. That kind of an ear is rare even for the hearing. I'm not trying to discourage you; just point out some realities for you to consider.

Awwwww, does that mean being a piano tuner is out? Boo hoo.

right, but how that's going to accomplish if we never be able to reach that goal except pitying ourselves for the rest of our life? There are deaf who are not even qualify to have CI.

There are many ways to enjoy music. My son enjoys music a great deal and he is profoundly deaf. There are deaf professional musicians. Loosing your hearing doesn't mean that you can't still enjoy music. You may have to learn to enjoy it another way, but you can still enjoy it.

Do you realize how many professional musicians actually suffer hearing loss and tinnitus as the result of their career. They certainly don't stop playing. They just learn different techniques for perception.

The anger and frustration you are feeling is just getting in the way of you seeing how many possibilities are still open to you. Work through that anger, and you will be able to see many things that are not clear to you now.

Awwwww, does that mean being a piano tuner is out? Boo hoo.

Nope. A piano tuner can use tactile sense to tune through the vibrations of the strings. Just takes learning a different way to accomplish the same goal.:P

Nope. A piano tuner can use tactile sense to tune through the vibrations of the strings. Just takes learning a different way to accomplish the same goal.:P

As a CI user, it is out of my option as well. Tactile is better :)

I think you should contact someone at Cochlear America and ask them for the contact information for the individual who created "HOPE Notes". I just went to a conference about CIs and music. The presenter (the guy I want you to contact) was a professional musician when her lost his hearing and now has a CI. "HOPE Notes" is a rehab program that helps CI users get more musical benefit.

Sorry that I don't remember his name! But I know that all three companies have people who were musicians and lost their hearing. (The AB guy is John Reddin) Maybe they can help you.

Wow. I never knew that!

Wow. I never knew that!

Yep. When it comes down to it, a piano is really a percussion instrument. Even as a hearing person, I perceive music kinesthetically. My whole family does. We describe notes as being felt in various parts of our bodies. Gotta an eccentric family.:giggle:

And the way you are spreading your unrealistic hopes hostilely around here, you need to have a therapist lined up for when you get your CI>
Actually I thought you had to have it before you got the CI.

I don't see why I would need a therapist. That just sounds to absurd. I know what the average person gets from a CI. but i'm also the kind of person who has hopes but isn't disappointed easily when they aren't reached. I just wanna get my hearing back so i can listen to music.

Light guy is a reasonable expectation. But even with a CI, the chances of being able to work as a sound man is slim. There are very few hearing people that have the ability to determine pitch and blend and hear harmonies. That kind of an ear is rare even for the hearing. I'm not trying to discourage you; just point out some realities for you to consider.

It may be, but its still hard when you can't understand the different parts. And part of my anger comes from the fact that i was one of the few that had the ear. As mentioned earlier i had above average hearing. 60-17,000 hertz.
And while I may not be able to run front of house I can help with setup/teardown and maybe run stage monitors.

You might want to take a peek at the thread for late deafened in the culture forum. I started that thread as an informal form of support for those that have lost their hearing. As you said, your issues are very different from those that come up with someone who is born deaf. The members that post there have varying lengths of deafness and varying degrees, but they all understand what you are going through and can share some valuable experience with you. Stick around. People here can help you with that adjustment as long as you are open to just considering what they have to share.

Thanks i might check that out. Find someone who knows what i'm going through instead of generalized assumptions.

Lots of us don't care at all. Wait until you see what you hear with CI>

Thats why you can't possibly understand what i'm talking about since you don't care.. I care way to much!

right, but how that's going to accomplish if we never be able to reach that goal except pitying ourselves for the rest of our life?

I'm not pitying myself. Its called disappointment. I have a goal. And a commitment to work this January. I'm trying to be there at all costs. I'm giving it everything i've got. It will be a miracle if I make it there. I'm not saying that i will make it there but i'm trying to give it the best chance.

I don't see why I would need a therapist. That just sounds to absurd. I know what the average person gets from a CI. but i'm also the kind of person who has hopes but isn't disappointed easily when they aren't reached. I just wanna get my hearing back so i can listen to music.

It may be, but its still hard when you can't understand the different parts. And part of my anger comes from the fact that i was one of the few that had the ear. As mentioned earlier i had above average hearing. 60-17,000 hertz.
And while I may not be able to run front of house I can help with setup/teardown and maybe run stage monitors.

Thanks i might check that out. Find someone who knows what i'm going through instead of generalized assumptions.

Thats why you can't possibly understand what i'm talking about since you don't care.. I care way to much!

I'm not pitying myself. Its called disappointment. I have a goal. And a commitment to work this January. I'm trying to be there at all costs. I'm giving it everything i've got. It will be a miracle if I make it there. I'm not saying that i will make it there but i'm trying to give it the best chance.

You need a therapist to deal with the obvious adjustment to disabilty issues that you have. I'm a professional and I see them clearly. As do other members of this forum. We are not judging you. We are simply making suggestions that will make your life much easier. But we also believe in autonomy. You are free to accept those suggestions or not. Your choice.

It's pretty common for a person to see a psychologist or therapist prior to getting a cochlear implant.

Yep. When it comes down to it, a piano is really a percussion instrument. Even as a hearing person, I perceive music kinesthetically. My whole family does. We describe notes as being felt in various parts of our bodies. Gotta an eccentric family.:giggle:

I wish i knew how to achieve this. But I can't hear or feel anything but really, really low bass notes.

There are many ways to enjoy music. My son enjoys music a great deal and he is profoundly deaf. There are deaf professional musicians. Loosing your hearing doesn't mean that you can't still enjoy music. You may have to learn to enjoy it another way, but you can still enjoy it.

Do you realize how many professional musicians actually suffer hearing loss and tinnitus as the result of their career. They certainly don't stop playing. They just learn different techniques for perception.

The anger and frustration you are feeling is just getting in the way of you seeing how many possibilities are still open to you. Work through that anger, and you will be able to see many things that are not clear to you now.

Studies have shown that if you stay in environments that are really loud. Your hearing becomes lesser quicker. I know musicians have succeeded while being hard of hearing or even deaf. But again that doesn't really help me or my situation.

I think you should contact someone at Cochlear America and ask them for the contact information for the individual who created "HOPE Notes". I just went to a conference about CIs and music. The presenter (the guy I want you to contact) was a professional musician when her lost his hearing and now has a CI. "HOPE Notes" is a rehab program that helps CI users get more musical benefit.

Sorry that I don't remember his name! But I know that all three companies have people who were musicians and lost their hearing. (The AB guy is John Reddin) Maybe they can help you.

I might do that. all of this is coming and going so fast that i havent been able to to much in the way of finding people with them. ( I thought thats what i might accomplish here) From the time i found out i would need a CI to the surgery date of Dec 14th. has been about a month and a week.

It's pretty common for a person to see a psychologist or therapist prior to getting a cochlear implant.

Again I don't see why i would need one. I know the risks the concerns. I've even watched the surgery performed on youtube.com. I know what they say i can expect which is more than ya'll are saying. I also know what i expect. right now its not really how well i communicate it all comes down to music and the job i have in january.

I'm not depressed because of this, i'm just frustrated that i might miss my job in january. that is all. if that happens then i'll be angry for maybe a week, if i get to work there and do fine then ill have the ability to say told ya so..

Again I don't see why i would need one. I know the risks the concerns. I've even watched the surgery performed on youtube.com. I know what they say i can expect which is more than ya'll are saying. I also know what i expect. right now its not really how well i communicate it all comes down to music and the job i have in january.

I'm not depressed because of this, i'm just frustrated that i might miss my job in january. that is all. if that happens then i'll be angry for maybe a week, if i get to work there and do fine then ill have the ability to say told ya so..

We are not interested in "I told ya so!" even if we have the ability to say it.

It doesn't matter what you think, they usually make you see one anyway. They have their reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back