Cochlea America coming out with a new Processor?

awesome are you planning to switch it to a new one, nucelus 5? My audiologist just told me that they got it last week. So i will see about it in October. cool.

I don't know. Eventually will do when my CI centre has enough funding.

I'v got a appt on October 9th, maybe find out then

DeafLissa,

I haven't been able to read through the entire thread, but are you thinking about getting a second CI or a CI to replace the one you have? Whatever the case may be, I wish you all the best! :)

I will be viewing Nucleus 5 on October 3rd!

Today I went in for my re-mapping (the mapping two weeks ago did not go well and I was not pleased with the results). I got to view the Nucleus 5 and its parts today, also they have more colors that you can snap on to the processors than has been shown on the website. It looks so awesome, and that remote looks like a MP3 player!

I was told that if for some reason my CI stops working or gets broken somehow, I will be able to upgrade to the Nucleus 5 and Medicaid and Medicare will pay for all of that. Even after my warranty is up. I thought that Medicaid and Medicare would make me wait longer but I guess not. So I guess I just gotta wait for something to happen to my CI before I can get an upgrade.

I will update how my Mapping went in my thread.

I went to ENT for re-mapped my CI last Tuesday. I told my audiologist about new brand Nucleus 5. She never heard of it before. So I sent her the link to show what it alike. She said will discuss with other audiologist and doctors about update a new nucleus 5 next month.

If my nucleus freedom with sound processor stop work. I can update a new Nucleus 5. I can get bilateral CI after my baby's birth. :)

I was implanted in April 2008 and switched on a month later (Nucleus Freedom). I asked my audiologist last week about upgrading to the new system and she said that I couldn't unless there was some terminal failure in my current speech processor (which rendered it beyond repair and was not my fault). She said that they (CI dept in Beaumont Hospital) owned my speech processor and that I could buy one myself and quoted me a price tag of 9000 euros but could not use my current one as a trade in.

That's the situation from an Irish perspective. I'm going to contact Cochlear UK tomoroow and query the price as I'm seriously considering buying it (as the surgical procedure and processor are not covered by health insurance in this country). The operation and initial speech processor are provided free by the CI Dept, as they are funded by the Irish government.

Back