Cochlea America coming out with a new Processor?

Fozzy

Reaction score
I heard at the Audi’s office yesterday that I have an opportunity to be part of a clinical study group to test the new Cochlea America Processor for FDA regulations. Cochlea Rep was there and couldn’t give any details on the new features other then that I would be required to do Surveys and wear the new processor for the clinical study. If I like the new processor after the study they will trade it for my back up processor.
Any one over the pond heard about the new processor? Knowing that you guys usually get the new stuff first I thought I could get some insight.

I actually know some information about the new CI, but I am not allowed to tell people. Yeah there will be a new CI, it is being trialled and it is not FDA cleared yet, I dont think. There's still a lot of changes to be made before it is released.

Think someone in UK has one, just recently operated with new implant.... not sure of full details but the news had been lurking for while since i heard about "one of new exciting thing coming out this year but no details yet" I guess it's this news.

sounds interesting, but I'd still get the AB Harmony haha. Nothing against Cochlear though. :)

Seem like most people on AD with CI's have Advanced Bionics

yes, i actually got to see it my daughter's audi today. its awesome...sleek and smart processor and a smaller implant. it includes a remote control that can control 2 processors. the implant is called ci512 and the processor is cp810...

Oh I cant wait. I have to go back for a mapping pretty soon anyway and will be asking about the new processor. I really like that it will have a remote control option cause I am not very good with changing maps or changing volume with my hand while the CI is still on my ear. I always have to take it off to do those things, otherwise the CI would fall off my ear. So a remote controller would be great. I wonder what it is going to look like? I hope they have more color options and different designs. I hope they will have a hot pink option, I would really love that.

Oh, and I went in for a mapping last week but I am not happy with the maps I have because I did not get to see my regular audiologist so I saw a substitute audiologist and she did a shit job of mapping my CI. Oh and DeafLissa - I think I know why you get dizzy when you have your CI mapped - they may be using a technology to map your CI called NRT. The substitute CI audiologist used NRT on me and I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE IT! My regular CI audiologist NEVER uses the NRT technology on me to map my CI and therefore I always had good results with her. But this time with the substitute CI audiologist I got a terrible maps, half the stuff I am normally able to hear, I can't hear now, the other sounds that I heard just fine before, are too loud. And now music is screwed too. I had one map made just for music, but it sounds terrible. Normally with my regular CI audiologist I get better music maps. So I am calling the CI office on Tuesday and making a new appointment and I will demand that I see my regular audiologist and not the idiot substitute and that no NRT be used either....when the sub audiologist used NRT, with every beep my brain just gets so OVERWHELMED and I said over and over STOP STOP STOP it is too fucking loud! Geez. The substitute audiologist should have informed me that she was going to use NRT. And she accidentally deleted my old maps so now I'm stuck with the crap maps til I go back to get remapped. Normally I love my CI but that audiologist just needs to be fired. I hate anything that overwhelms my brain. It's like my brain is screeeeeeeeching at every high beeps. Is that how it feels like, DeafLissa, during the beeps when you get your CI mapped? Oh and the sub audiologist also accidentally deleted sensitivity too, which makes things worse!

NO MORE NRT FOR ME! That's for sure! I will go back to the old fashioned way! And I don't think the sub audie knew what the fuck she was doing because she kept saying "I don't know what is wrong with your CI, it should be fine" over and over again. Geez. I hope they can fit me in before I leave for Virginia near the end of this month.

Ouch Lucia, I hate NRT too.... Gives me tinntius that the Audi gave me poor map (not her fault as we weren't expecting it) so i went back week later and came out with new and better maps. My regular Audi won't do it unless she have to ie checking my hearing nerve responses. Last one was in feb and one before was during my OP. She tried last november but i hated it she stopped after few beeps. Then the bad tinnitus in Feb. I dread the next one... Hope it won't be for long time!! I most certainly hope my Sub Audi won't do it on the 15th september.

I like the look of the new processor. I am glad there will be a remote. I hate having to
take the processor off to make adjustments. The pink body cover would be great too. It would match the one on my Blackberry.

I'm curious...have they been able to remove the robotic sound altogether with the new generation technology so that everything sounds more natural right from the start?

What's NRT?

I got a letter through saying I need to schedule an appointment for my 9 year annual review

Lissa, Nerve response test...

Phi ius, The robotic sounds depends on each individuals... but it will disappear after few days or months...

The implant itself is no difference to the Nucleus freedom they just changed the shape of the implant.

Lissa, Nerve response test...

Phi ius, The robotic sounds depends on each individuals... but it will disappear after few days or months...

The implant itself is no difference to the Nucleus freedom they just changed the shape of the implant.

Thanks Charlotte!! It's hard to keep up with all the short names for things. I cant think of the word I actually mean right now

Isnt the Nerve Response test what they HAVE to do at first to check all the electrodes where you dont actually do anything?

NRT should correctly stand for Neural Response Telemetry. Basically it uses the possibility to use the electrodes to stimulate electrically the nerve and to measure at the same time its response to the stimulus.
As far as I know it is exactly the test they usually do after implantation (when still in the surgery room also).
There is a kind of correlation between the profile got from NRT and the T and C levels of the map. It is especially useful for small kids, whose active collaboration is usually not so much expected and not so reliable.
Anyway it remains an objective measure, avoinding any bias due to personal reactions to the stimulus. The difficult part of using NRT for mapping seems to be the function that correlate the profile you can get from it and the actual T and C levels. There is a personal variability thatmakes things difficult.

There are several studies on that subject, here below two examples from PubMed data bank:

Ear Hear. 2005 Aug;26(4 Suppl):38S-44S.
A different approach to using neural response telemetry for automated cochlear implant processor programming.

McKay CM, Fewster L, Dawson P.

ABSTRACT:
OBJECTIVE: This study explores the theoretical relation between the psychophysically measured current levels required for sound processor fitting in cochlear implants and the objectively measured compound action potential threshold (as measured by Neural Response Telemetry, NRT). The objective was to gain understanding of the variability across implantees in this relation and determine possible ways (using objective measures) of improving the predictability of NRT thresholds for behavioral levels needed for mapping. DESIGN: A model of how rate of stimulation affects loudness is presented. The model can be used to understand differences among implantees in the way that rate affects loudness and hence explain the disappointing correlation between NRT and psychophysical measures. Suggestions are made, based on the model, for additional information that may improve the usefulness of NRT measurements. One such option (measuring the effect of interphase gap on NRT amplitude) was experimentally explored in eight subjects (26 electrodes). It was hypothesized that the current change required to maintain equal NRT amplitude when interphase gap was changed from 8 to 45 musec would be correlated with the offset between behavioral and NRT thresholds. RESULTS: The above hypothesis was not supported by the data, and several possible reasons for this outcome are discussed. CONCLUSIONS: The loudness model provides useful insights into why NRT thresholds are not good predictors of the behavioral levels needed for mapping and how NRT might be made more useful by additional objective information. These insights should be investigated in further experimental studies.

Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi. 2002 Dec;37(6):435-9.Links
Comparison of neural response telemetry thresholds with behavioral T/C levels

[Article in Chinese, english translated abstract]

Chen X, Han D, Zhao X, Wang S, Kong Y, Liu S, Mo L, Liu B, Wu Y.

ABSTRACT:
OBJECTIVE: To provide an objective method to estimate T-levels and C-levels using neural response telemetry (NRT) thresholds for children, from whom we can not get accurate responses because they are very young or have other disabilities, by comparing NRT thresholds and T/C levels. METHODS: Seventy patients implanted with the nucleus CI24M multiple cochlear implant system participated in this study. 329 electrodes were tested. The software used in this study was NRT 2.04. Monopolar stimulation mode was used during NRT threshold measurement. No. 3, 5, 10, 15, 20 electrodes were tested for each patient. The T-levels and C-levels were obtained at the same visit. RESULTS: 92.7% of all the tested electrodes recorded NRT responses. There were variations in the amplitudes and thresholds of NRT responses across subjects and electrodes. NRT thresholds fell within the different points of the MAP dynamic range. The mean of NRT thresholds was shown to fall between the mean of T-levels and C-levels. The NRT thresholds and T/C levels reduced from basal to apical ends of the cochlear. CONCLUSIONS: Considerable variability across subjects was noted. So it is difficult to estimate T-levels and C-levels accurately by testing only NRT thresholds only. NRT technology provides a new objective method for estimating T-levels and C-levels for children who are unable to cooperate with audiologists during mapping after operation. The new NRT technology should be improved in the future.

yes, i actually got to see it my daughter's audi today. its awesome...sleek and smart processor and a smaller implant. it includes a remote control that can control 2 processors. the implant is called ci512 and the processor is cp810...

Yeppers that's the one!! Since FDA has approved the implant and processor last week for the USA I will not be doing the case study but will have a chance to trade in one of my freedom processors for the new CP810 and a remote. Down side is I have to wait until I've been activated for 8 weeks. Currently 4 weeks and counting Woo Hoo!!!!:dance2:

Today Nucleus5 substituted officially Nucleus Freedom in the Cochlear America web site. No more trace of the old model.
The Freedom still is present on all the other localized version of Cochlear websites, where there is still nothingabout the new model. They are probably updating theis sites...

Back