Close Captioning Missing !

whatdidyousay!

Reaction score
My state is running a health add about the swine flu. A nurse is on the air telling people how important it is to wash your hands to cut the risk of getting the flu. It is put out by the public health department. I mute my TV as the adds are too loud, but I decided to listen to this add , when I realize what it was about , I was shocked to see there were no CC for the deaf and HOH person! The public department in Mass. Boston did not thinks about us!
I called today ,Sept. 22 and was told this would be taken care of right away!
I only saw this health add 2x , I will have to watch it more closely from
now on to see if the CC was indeed put on! Has anyone in Mass. seen this add ?
I am fed up with the way the public does not acknowledge deaf and HOH people! How do other feel about this? I

My state is running a health add about the swine flu. A nurse is on the air telling people how important it is to wash your hands to cut the risk of getting the flu. It is put out by the public health department. I mute my TV as the adds are too loud, but I decided to listen to this add , when I realize what it was about , I was shocked to see there were no CC for the deaf and HOH person! The public department in Mass. Boston did not thinks about us!
I am fed up with the way the public does not acknowledge deaf and HOH people! How do other feel about this? I

I am kind of surprised you are upset. There is a whole lot of stuff in Iowa that is not captioned, like most commercial announcements. And the weather. It does not surprise me at all.

I read the news a lot to try to keep informed. I feel pretty powerless about making them CC everything.

File a complaint with the ADA. There have been many successful settlements on this particular subject. ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act

Source:Department of Justice ADA Enforcement
How to File Complaints
Complaints about violations of title I (employment) by units of State and local government or by private employers should be filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Call 800 - 669 - 4000 (voice) or 800 - 669 - 6820 (TTY) to reach the field office in your area.

Complaints about violations of title II by units of State and local government or violations of title III by public accommodations and commercial facilities (private businesses and non - profit service providers) should be filed with the Department of Justice.

Title II complaint form | Instructions for filing a Title III complaint

Please send complaints to:

U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Disability Rights Section - NYAV
Washington, DC 20530

You may also call the ADA Information Line to ask about filing a complaint with the Department of Justice and to order forms that can assist you in providing information about the violation.

I am kind of surprised you are upset. There is a whole lot of stuff in Iowa that is not captioned, like most commercial announcements. And the weather. It does not surprise me at all.

I read the news a lot to try to keep informed. I feel pretty powerless about making them CC everything.

I am trying to made the public department aware that they should have CC for a public announcement! So the next time one is made on TV someone might remember to use CC ! I do not feel powerless about getting CC on TV ! I called my goveror when he was first running for office as his adds had no CC . That same night there CC on his add !

Years ago New England was going to get hit by a huge storm ,and an emergency public meeting was called in Boston. Ma. and it was on it TV too.
I was watching the meeting and saw that there were no sign language interpreter on the stage with the person speaking about how to prepare for the storm.
I called the mayor 's office and said they needed an interpreter as it was an emergency meeting! The woman I was right ,and within a half an hour an interpreter was on the stage! If no one speak up for our rights what the sense of working all these years to get rights for us! I am going to use my rights and fight for my rights ,I am not willing to lose them!
I am not upset about CC missing on an add for toilet paper this is an public announcement , and the deaf and HOH people are apart of the public! People are missing the point!

Most commercials and ads aren't captioned, unfortunately. And funnily enough, if you watch the commercials on CNN, most of them are health-related and some are about hearing loss, and the hearing loss ones aren't captioned either !!! :lol: The irony ...

i watch news on tv about that and its very serious because of H1N1 swine flu

sometimes i forgot wash my hands but i got my own kill germ-x hand sanitizer if you have one or not you can get one at store.

when i went to movie and i begged asked movie manager for closed caption but nobody to listen deaf people as disrespectives!!

What??? What did you say?!?

That remind me that Cowboys Stadium that monster video screen sure need CC. Why, it make easy for everybody to watch.

Which channel did you watch? Out of curiosity. I am from Massachusetts as well.

Here in AR the weather is "captioned" but its just the national weather service local report being typed out on the bottom of the TV screen while the weatherman is giving a detailed local report.

I like Ch. 11 news (KTHV - CBS Little Rock) but their captioning sucks!

Which channel did you watch? Out of curiosity. I am from Massachusetts as well.

channel 20 RTV. It has show from the 50's , like Leave it to Beaver! The show is so funny to watch , I can't believe I dress that way in the 50's !

Most commercials and ads aren't captioned, unfortunately. And funnily enough, if you watch the commercials on CNN, most of them are health-related and some are about hearing loss, and the hearing loss ones aren't captioned either !!! :lol: The irony ...

That is really funny that a commercial for HA has no CC! I would not want to buy a HA from that company!

I rented a movie from the library and it has CC ,but when I set the movie up the CC did not come on! I tired playing it by just turning it on and not enter the CC and it till did not work! The librarian told me to try mute the voice and see if the CC work , she said that what she does with her tv!
I gave up in trying to watch the ' Out Of Africa"!

The ADA under Title V required all federal funded ads to be cc. according to Closed Captioning Web (the Jamie Berke website). Title II required all local and city and state government to cc their ads too. Work with them , give them the name of the local captioning service, etc.

yes the company paid for the ads. The Super Bowl Commercial Review - Captioning Commercials. listed Super Bowl ads that are not CC. I once email a company to email a transcript and they did. They were working on having it cc. Most companies won't know we're wathcing their ads unless we tell them. But see tmobile, comcast, verzion, they don't captioned their ads often.

That is really funny that a commercial for HA has no CC! I would not want to buy a HA from that company!

I rented a movie from the library and it has CC ,but when I set the movie up the CC did not come on! I tired playing it by just turning it on and not enter the CC and it till did not work! The librarian told me to try mute the voice and see if the CC work , she said that what she does with her tv!
I gave up in trying to watch the ' Out Of Africa"!

Did you set up subtitle on DVD? i.e. subtitle languages from the menu.

yes the company paid for the ads. The Super Bowl Commercial Review - Captioning Commercials. listed Super Bowl ads that are not CC. I once email a company to email a transcript and they did. They were working on having it cc. Most companies won't know we're wathcing their ads unless we tell them. But see tmobile, comcast, verzion, they don't captioned their ads often.

Verzion adds has CC in my state , Mass. Mass State collge does not CC in their adds! I have been meaning to call about this but forgot to ! That is bad the state college not having CC!!

A lot of advertisements, especially for advertisements for local news broadcasts don't have captions, or if they do, they look like this "and f......resdi... weeeee" which makes no freaking sense.

:lol:
I used to watch those, too.
You mean TVLand???

We have a retroTV which is somewhat like TVLand. But hardly anything on RetroTV is CC which most of the shows on TV land is.

Which is too bad because I wanted to watch the retro Nancy Drew

Back