Classifiers: How Much?

What percentage of classifiers are used in ASL?

• 20% or less

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 20% to 40%

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 40% to 60%

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 60% to 80%

• 80% to 100%

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I'm Clueless.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Who Cares?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AquaBlue

Reaction score
Explain your answer...if you so desire.

CLs are an essential part of ASL - they're used in almost everything that is said ... from describing something "concrete" in a physics lab, to something "abstract" such as a painting or piece of sculpture ...

I'm just not sure exactly what the question is ?? can you clarify ??

The reason why I created this thread is because my former deaf teacher, a very bright man, told the class that most of ASL uses classifiers. He said 90% of the language is classifiers. I freaked.

The reason why I created this thread is because my former deaf teacher, a very bright man, told the class that most of ASL uses classifiers. He said 90% of the language is classifiers. I freaked.

depending on the situation and context - 90% certainly could be true ... think of:
ASL stories and poetry,
or describing a trip to the amusement park,
or how to fix something ...
how a vehicle moves,
explaining if i parked my car on the streetunderground or somewhere in a parkade,
what a scene looks like,
how a dancer danced,
I could go on and on for ages ...

there are of course situations (I'm thinking my theology classes) where CLs are used less often ... but it's actually harder to think of when they aren't used, than when they are!!

CLs, and NMSs make up a HUGE proportion of ASL ... although we often forget that we use them as much as we do !!

80%+ as per my ASL teacher. I however dont use them that often...
You're a terp student? If you're not using them now, you will be as your studies progress. If not, well . . . maybe another field will interest you.

You're a terp student? If you're not using them now, you will be as your studies progress. If not, well . . . maybe another field will interest you.

She didn't say she didn't use them at all folks !! she said she didn't use them the "80% of the time" that her teacher had suggested ! (she might currently use them 70%, or 60% of the time or whatever)

Classifier is our music in ASL! When we describe it, you will see how people react to your ability express in classifier. I say for myself, 60-80%. More visual than word to word.

Back