CI Surgery approved today

I doubt you will be able or want to sleep with your CI on. It will be like Deaf trying to sleep with a bunch of strobe lights flashing in your bedroom...

Hi everyone. I survived and all I can say so far is OMG. Lots of pain where the incision is and severe vertigo. The process moved very quick because the first person was a no show. They kicked me out really fast, home by 1pm. I am good as long as I stay on my right side laying down. Im suppose to take all the bandages off tomorrow, sounds too soon to me. Marley has not left my side and is great comfort. Thanks for your concern and well wishes.

:applause:

Glad to hear you made it through. Now the grueling waiting period starts.....

Rest easy, enjoy your Percocet pills, but be careful with 'em....

Great news! Take it easy and get as much rest as you can.

Hi everyone. I survived and all I can say so far is OMG. Lots of pain where the incision is and severe vertigo. The process moved very quick because the first person was a no show. They kicked me out really fast, home by 1pm. I am good as long as I stay on my right side laying down. Im suppose to take all the bandages off tomorrow, sounds too soon to me. Marley has not left my side and is great comfort. Thanks for your concern and well wishes.

I hope you heal fast without too much discomfort...

Wonderful!...you're a very brave gal, Angel!....Take care and keep the faith.

I received a call today, my CI surgery was approved by my insurance. They scheduled surgery in 12 days!!May 2nd is the big day!! I think I am a little bit in shock that it is happening so fast. Next week will be busy with all the preop appointments. It really set in when they called and asked me which ear I wanted to have done. Both ears have no hearing remaining, so I chose the side I do not sleep on. I pray I am making the right decision. I am scared to be in a hospital again, after my long illness last year but have to keep the faith!!!!:angel:

Hope and pray that things continue to go well. Did notice that you no longer have to worry about the part I added bold to!

definitely keep on top of the pain with your pain pills, and just rest up and let others be your "slaves" while you recover. Hope the vertigo issues resolves pretty quick, that definitely cannot be fun.

I took my head bandage off the day after surgery (we waited until after driving 4-5 hours to get home before taking it off).

Hi Angel: You got "kicked out early". I was over night in the hospital. When i woke up- had additional bandage-belt level. Seems "too much fluid came out" - abdominal "fat" was used to "plug up". I didn't have vertigo. Didn't have "headaches" either. Went home with my son after breakfast. Came back in 2 weeks-checked the stitches and said i could go back swimming. I did-not much trouble.
He suggested that I not lift any weights over my head for 6 months-possibility of splitting the stitches.
The stitches were removed in 4 weeks then externals hooked up.
Angel first step-operation.-successful.

Hi Angel: You got "kicked out early". I was over night in the hospital. When i woke up- had additional bandage-belt level. Seems "too much fluid came out" - abdominal "fat" was used to "plug up". I didn't have vertigo. Didn't have "headaches" either. Went home with my son after breakfast. Came back in 2 weeks-checked the stitches and said i could go back swimming. I did-not much trouble.
He suggested that I not lift any weights over my head for 6 months-possibility of splitting the stitches.

What kind of fluid? From the cochlea?

When I had my Cholesteatoma surgery...I also had abdominal fat taken to "plug it up"....Still have the scar....unfortunately, both ears are infected again.

Angle,

Thanks for the update and glad you are at home recovering. Let Hubby and Marley spoil you rotten. I also have a little dog and he was practically glued to me the whole time I was at home recovering. He even followed me into the bathroom. He did not mind the major bed head I ended up with until I could shower. I thought he would hide on me.

In hope you are feeling good Angle!
And I keep my fingers crossed the CI will bring your hearing back!
at least some!

Fuzzy

Hi everyone, well new development now. I have a severe allergic reaction to what we are guessing is the tape, red, swollen with welts and so itchy. Doctor wants to keep bandaged so we will use like an ace bandage around my head keeping the bandages in place. I am quite shocked how much hair they shaved. My daughter says to dye it hot pink and become a punk rock momma. I really appreciate all your well wishes, helps knowing others care!! Thanks again!!!

Hi everyone, well new development now. I have a severe allergic reaction to what we are guessing is the tape, red, swollen with welts and so itchy. Doctor wants to keep bandaged so we will use like an ace bandage around my head keeping the bandages in place. I am quite shocked how much hair they shaved. My daughter says to dye it hot pink and become a punk rock momma. I really appreciate all your well wishes, helps knowing others care!! Thanks again!!!

Wishing for a speedy recovery....no worries about the shaved hair...(I had the same thing, just looked sort of "lop-sided" there for awhile....:giggle:...takes time to grow back...will be thrilling to find out what happens when you first get activated!....So....get ur "beauty sleep"....and hope to be "hearing" from you soon!

Bottesini: I understand the "fluid was from the brain". Not exactly a common occurrence but there was no ongoing effect. I was/have not been "bothered". That happened almost 5 years ago. The operation was July 12, 2007.
I don't have a scar on my abdomen-either.

I am having a severe allergic reaction to something. It looks like poison oak at the surgery site. Red, itchy and oozing. Starts in my hair and now its down my neck. Scared it might make its way into my ear canal, its very close. Using Benadryl in pill and cream form per my doctor. Any body have this happen. It is really bad and not getting better. Help!!

I am having a severe allergic reaction to something. It looks like poison oak at the surgery site. Red, itchy and oozing. Starts in my hair and now its down my neck. Scared it might make its way into my ear canal, its very close. Using Benadryl in pill and cream form per my doctor. Any body have this happen. It is really bad and not getting better. Help!!

Are you a member of the CI forums? Each company has one with audis and other professionals often participating along with recipients. And there are several independant ones as well. That would be the best place (outside your doc's office) to get fast, practical advice on this situation. So sorry you are reacting this way. Hope you feel better fast!

Angle,

Sorry you are having an allergic reaction. I had something similar no welts and it was not related to C.I surgery. I think it started with a Nickel allergy and then the ointment with Neomycin made it worse. I can definitely relate to the red, itchy and oozing though. Hang in there and keep in touch with the doctor. I hope the Benadryl helps.

Back