CI Surgery approved today

I wish you all the luck in the world. After having gone through two CI surgeries myself, I can understand the emotions you feel. Keep good thoughts, but keep them realistic. I was told to expect the worst but hope for the best. For me, that was the surgery would fail being the worst, but I hoped to hear again..and I did hear, even with a few stumbling blocks.
Don't forget to get your Meningitis shot before the surgery..my second surgery was postponed by my insurance company because they could not find the proof that I already had the shot.

I wish you all the luck in the world. After having gone through two CI surgeries myself, I can understand the emotions you feel. Keep good thoughts, but keep them realistic. I was told to expect the worst but hope for the best. For me, that was the surgery would fail being the worst, but I hoped to hear again..and I did hear, even with a few stumbling blocks.
Don't forget to get your Meningitis shot before the surgery..my second surgery was postponed by my insurance company because they could not find the proof that I already had the shot.

I read about the Meningitis shot, and thank you for suggesting this. My surgeon has not requested it. I will have my husband call in the a.m. Since they are being overly cautious, I am surprised they missed this. All of the suggestions and support have provided me so much comfort. You all are amazing. THANK YOU!!!!!

I have been fasting since last nught for my pre-op blood work. In the middke of the night I had heartburn and without thinking I ate a Tums. That will be crazy if I messed it up. Will have to wait and see. Busy day and lots of driving.

Good luck

I received a call today, my CI surgery was approved by my insurance. They scheduled surgery in 12 days!!May 2nd is the big day!! I think I am a little bit in shock that it is happening so fast. Next week will be busy with all the preop appointments. It really set in when they called and asked me which ear I wanted to have done. Both ears have no hearing remaining, so I chose the side I do not sleep on. I pray I am making the right decision. I am scared to be in a hospital again, after my long illness last year but have to keep the faith!!!!:angel:

Hope all goes well for you and you will be able to hear again :angel:

Etalton thanks for your advice about the Meningitis shot. After many emails back and forth it was decided YES I needed one. I even had a friend call Cochlear customer service. So I had the Menigitis, Pneumonia, blood work, EKG, and a basic physical. It looks like I am all set for next Wednesday. Now if I can only calm my nerves......

I have had all my pre-op and everything looks great. Why am I sitting here doubting my decision? I have 5 days until surgery and I am making myself sick with worry. If I knew there was a chance of the one CI helping with this loud noise I have, I would feel much better. Anyone???? All informatiin good or bad news will be SO appreciated.

If it helps any, these blogs all have some really great descriptions of the ups and downs of the surgery and the activation. Might help to walk through such stories of adults going through the process, as it's so different from the toddler experience:

Quite a few of these are from past AD members, although most of the adult CI users who were here in years past have left ...
CHRONICLES OF A BIONIC WOMAN
JOURNEY TO SOUND:
http://www.sarasera.com/
Katie-Louise's Cochlear Implant Blog
I look so I can hear….
Five String Guitar: Of Paper And Pens
Sam's Hearing Life
Welcome to: im terrible blogger
Michael Chorost
Josh Swiller » Still Listening: Musings about Zen, Hearing, and Life

Becoming Deaf in Norway 2007 (this has some CI effect on tinnitus info you might be interested in)

There are many more really good blogs, and some have shifted to Facebook, but had these easily at hand.

Just saw this one today: Clarity Now: My Cochlear Implant Journey: The Approaching Activation

Etalton thanks for your advice about the Meningitis shot. After many emails back and forth it was decided YES I needed one. I even had a friend call Cochlear customer service. So I had the Menigitis, Pneumonia, blood work, EKG, and a basic physical. It looks like I am all set for next Wednesday. Now if I can only calm my nerves......

I am so glad that things are going well. The shot is a must, so not sure why the snafu on that. Make sure you get documentation of the shot...just in case you get a second implant. The shot is good for five years...

I received a call today, my CI surgery was approved by my insurance. They scheduled surgery in 12 days!!May 2nd is the big day!! I think I am a little bit in shock that it is happening so fast. Next week will be busy with all the preop appointments. It really set in when they called and asked me which ear I wanted to have done. Both ears have no hearing remaining, so I chose the side I do not sleep on. I pray I am making the right decision. I am scared to be in a hospital again, after my long illness last year but have to keep the faith!!!!:angel:

Wow that's fast! I wished i got implanted faster like you! I had to wait for a few months into the school year to get my surgery done in my junior year of high school. I missed a week of school plus a couple half-days of school where i had to go get a tune up and get checked my the CI surgeon... I wished i got this done in the summer before school started! But sending you lots of prayers!

I found out my surgery will be the 2nd one of the day, I am thinking that is good since everyones coffee has had a chance to kick in. :) I have to be there at 7:30am and they didn't tell us what time the surgery will be. I just hope I am not sitting there for 3 hours making myself worried. I would love to go away for a few days before hand to the beach. I love walking along the shore collecting sea shells. I can dream, I guess:-(

I found out my surgery will be the 2nd one of the day, I am thinking that is good since everyones coffee has had a chance to kick in. :) I have to be there at 7:30am and they didn't tell us what time the surgery will be. I just hope I am not sitting there for 3 hours making myself worried. I would love to go away for a few days before hand to the beach. I love walking along the shore collecting sea shells. I can dream, I guess:-(

Thinking of you!....and I love walking on the beach in the late evening myself....fresh air...a great de-stresser for anyone!.

Good Luck, Angel...Believe!

so maybe your surgery will be at 9:30? I'm just guessing. I was to check in at 8:15 for my 10:15 surgery time. Waiting around for a couple of hours, getting your vitals checked and IV line in, talking with the surgeon and anesthesiologist and nurses and blah blah, it does get a bit nerve-wrecking.

Well tomorrow is the BIG day. CI surgery should be happening around 10am. All test results and paperwork are all acounted for. Hubby is taking me out to dinner to the Olive Garden. Have to get nice and full to hold me over thru tomorrow:) My mom will be with us tomorrow, that will be so nice. I really do appreciate your thoughts, prayers and support. I will let you all know how it went as soon as I can. Thanks again!!!!

Well tomorrow is the BIG day. CI surgery should be happening around 10am. All test results and paperwork are all acounted for. Hubby is taking me out to dinner to the Olive Garden. Have to get nice and full to hold me over thru tomorrow:) My mom will be with us tomorrow, that will be so nice. I really do appreciate your thoughts, prayers and support. I will let you all know how it went as soon as I can. Thanks again!!!!

Good Luck.

Angel : much success in the operation today. Just take every step by step- your skull has to heal first-usually within 4 weeks. Hooking everything up is then the next step.

Each of us who had the operation will tell you- each will react a "bit differently" which is not a surprise- we are "different in our expectations". Just consider how little children crawl before walking.

Am anxious to hear if Angel is doing alright!...Hope she will be able to respond to us very soon.....

Back