CI soon...CI friendly only please

Hi Superfroggy,

I'm actually finding audio books a good way of seeing the changes between the different maps. I am currently reading and listening to a Winnie the Pooh collection CD. After my last map I could hear Tigger bouncing in the background and the narrator's voice was a lot more clear. Plus I could discern the different tones in the voices such as exasperation, sarcasm and surprise. It's a cool book for me actually because every single word that is spoken is written down in the book, even the introduction. They even have a little chime for when it's time to turn the page heh heh!

I will have to look out for the Harry Potter and Amy Tan book - I will see if I can download them from itunes. I have a 26 hour international flight coming up so need to take something to read along with my ipod. It's either that or watching a foreign captioned film (usually a kung fu movie yawwwn) on the inflight entertainment system!

We went away to the sea this weekend and I heard the waves for the first time since my CI. I was surprised at how loud and rich it sounded LOL! I find it hard to believe that the last time I went to the beach I couldn't hear them at all with just one hearing aid in my ear.

Stacie you must be looking forward to your second map - I admire your patience waiting out the 6 weeks. You will probably really notice the difference after your second map.

My only complaint is that my batteries are only lasting 1.5 days at the moment!

Awesome on hearing how rich the waves is, I loved it...
So looking forward to my second mapping. I hope I do noticed the differences, I'm sure I will lol. 6 weeks is a pretty good wait and I'm used to hearing the way I do now. But really looking forward to improvement lol.
I hate the batteries life too. It last a day and half for me too. Hopefully we'll both have better batteries life before long.
I still hear the birdies and someone turning the kitchen sink water on, which is annoying to me now lol. But what amazed me is this.....when I take my CI off and I just have my HA in, I'm like, "damn, I'm deaf!" I can tell a huge difference in between wearing my HA and wearing my CI. I like wearing them both at the same time, sounds lot better, louder and richer.
I'll update on how my 2nd mapping do. Take care!
Stacie

R2D2 said:
We went away to the sea this weekend and I heard the waves for the first time since my CI. I was surprised at how loud and rich it sounded LOL! I find it hard to believe that the last time I went to the beach I couldn't hear them at all with just one hearing aid in my ear.

Stacie you must be looking forward to your second map - I admire your patience waiting out the 6 weeks. You will probably really notice the difference after your second map.

My only complaint is that my batteries are only lasting 1.5 days at the moment!

R2D2 said:
Hi Superfroggy,

I'm actually finding audio books a good way of seeing the changes between the different maps. I am currently reading and listening to a Winnie the Pooh collection CD. After my last map I could hear Tigger bouncing in the background and the narrator's voice was a lot more clear. Plus I could discern the different tones in the voices such as exasperation, sarcasm and surprise. It's a cool book for me actually because every single word that is spoken is written down in the book, even the introduction. They even have a little chime for when it's time to turn the page heh heh!

I will have to look out for the Harry Potter and Amy Tan book - I will see if I can download them from itunes. I have a 26 hour international flight coming up so need to take something to read along with my ipod. It's either that or watching a foreign captioned film (usually a kung fu movie yawwwn) on the inflight entertainment system!

Trying to keep up the best I can with the threads. Very interesting about the Winnie the Pooh details. Would you recommend that for a 5-year old that just got implanted? Harry Potter and Amy Tan will have to wait, that's for sure!

Sounds like you're going gangbusters with your new CI! :hyper:

StacieLeigh said:
But what amazed me is this.....when I take my CI off and I just have my HA in, I'm like, "damn, I'm deaf!" I can tell a huge difference in between wearing my HA and wearing my CI. I like wearing them both at the same time, sounds lot better, louder and richer.
Stacie

Gosh I was thinking this too. I sometimes just have my HA in when I have just washed my hair (I'm paranoid about moisture getting in) and I keep thinking to myself "I can hardly hear with this! how did I get by with just this for so long?"

greema said:
Trying to keep up the best I can with the threads. Very interesting about the Winnie the Pooh details. Would you recommend that for a 5-year old that just got implanted? Harry Potter and Amy Tan will have to wait, that's for sure!

Sounds like you're going gangbusters with your new CI! :hyper:

I would recommend this approach for your grandson once he could read. In fact I would be using books very heavily as a tool for helping with with the CI. I know when I was growing up books really helped me to understand language.

I can't wait to hear how the surgery went - we have been thinking about your grandson.

R2D2 said:
I would recommend this approach for your grandson once he could read. In fact I would be using books very heavily as a tool for helping with with the CI. I know when I was growing up books really helped me to understand language.

I can't wait to hear how the surgery went - we have been thinking about your grandson.

Thanks for the tip! I just created a thread -- hopefully I didn't stress anybody out lol.

R2D2 said:

Thanks, R2D2! I had been trying to keep quiet so Fragmenter can do his reporting -- didn't want to steal his thunder...
Will start shopping for kiddy books/CDs.
:cheers:

2nd mapping updates....

Hiya all

I went for my second mapping today and it went great. There was a woman there from Cochlear, she helped with my mapping. She explained a lot of things to me and even said that I would be a perfect candidate down the road for a 2nd implant. It was fun lol. I got them laughing lol. It does sound better, not perfect, but a lot better! I'm pleased with it and cannot wait to try them all out and play with it lol.
Here's what I have so far......
P1 standard map #6
P2 Noise/ASC I love this one in the car!
P3 Adro I like this one too lol
P4 Beam I'll update on how I like that one soon.

I'll update soon as I get more results....
Later!
Stacie

Excellent news. I'm happy for you.

Keep us posted about the good - and bad - moments....

glad things are going great. How long to you use these programs before your next map? (funny how when we first begin how we look forward to the next map, lol)

jag said:
glad things are going great. How long to you use these programs before your next map? (funny how when we first begin how we look forward to the next map, lol)

lol, I go back in two month, get to wait again lol.

Cloggy said:
Excellent news. I'm happy for you.

Keep us posted about the good - and bad - moments....

I got tons of good moments. My bad one is my long hair. I've always kept it tuck behind that ear, but I have the processor in the way now, so when I put my hair behind my ear, I knocked it off. Getting a haircut before long anyway lol. Another bad moments, I'm sick of someone turning the kitchen sink water on while I'm watching tv in living room lol. But other than that, very happy!
Thanks!

Hi Stacie,

Great to hear that your mapping has gone well. It takes a few days for the changes to settle into place.

I know what you mean about the water coming out of the taps though! A very strong hissing sound. Do you have high water pressure in the area in which you live?

I've been going for maps every 2 weeks to but to be honest I'm looking forward to having a gap of 7 weeks at the end of this month when both my audie and I go away on holiday. I will be storing my map on an USB flash drive for when I go to the UK and I've even found a clinic over there not too far away from my mother's place in case of emergency.

I have 4 programs too:

1. P1 - not sure what I would call this!
2. Adro
3. Beam
4. P1 plus telecoil

I haven't used Beam too much yet - I'll wait until we can go to a noisy cafe to practice.

R2D2 said:

I have 4 programs too:

1. P1 - not sure what I would call this!
2. Adro
3. Beam
4. P1 plus telecoil

I haven't used Beam too much yet - I'll wait until we can go to a noisy cafe to practice.

For both you and Stacieleigh, P1 is in all probability "Squelch" which is a default program for the freedom. It squelches the input depending on the background sounds to allow one to focus more on closer input. I often use it for the car radio especially when the windows are down.

I didn't find any real benefit using beam but everybody is different.

My programs are...
1. ADRO
2. Squelch
3. Whisper
4. Auto-sensitivity which is probably Stacieleigh's P2. It automatically lowers repetitive sounds so one can focus on speech.

ADRO is my favorite and the one I use some 95% of the time. The others come in handy as the situation warrants.

I would suggest trying Whisper when you feel you got speech down fairly decently. It really acquires the softer sounds like in meetings, conferences, classes and whatnot. Also very useful for conference calls too.

Stacey, I've been following your progress through this thread. AWESOME!!!!

R2D2, I've never heard of storing the map on a flashdrive. Is that just for a backup incase the map gets wiped, or is it to hold future maps to be downloaded in the future? Either way, it sounds very interesting. I never thought of doing that.

Lillys dad said:
R2D2, I've never heard of storing the map on a flashdrive. Is that just for a backup incase the map gets wiped, or is it to hold future maps to be downloaded in the future? Either way, it sounds very interesting. I never thought of doing that.

Yes I'm intending to use it as a back up in case something happens to wipe the program from the processor while I am overseas. I can just rock up to the nearest clinic, and they can copy and paste the map from the USB drive to the processor.

Ooh I hate my latest map. I think I turned the volume down a tad too much and my brain doesn't like it. I e-mailed the clinic this morning and asked if I could have an emergency remapping and they wrote back within 5 minutes and squeezed me in for tomorrow. I'm really pleased with how responsive they are. Maybe I should include old maps on the USB drive too!

Wonderful idea! I may do the same thing for Lillys maps. Right now it is not really a problem. The audi staff at her school is always ready to fit you in for an unexpected problem. But as she gets older and mainstreams, it may be a different story. As it stands now, the only times seeing the audis is a problem is weekends and holidays.

I went back to the clinic and had my volume bumped back up - aaah that is better, much clearer than before. I was feeling brave that night and picked up the telephone and called my husband. I asked him when he would be coming home that night. To my surprise I heard him say he would be back at 6.30pm. He had just woken up from a nap on the train. It was a short phone call but I was pleased that with my telecoil setting I could hear some of what he said. I don't want to try again for a while in case I was imagining it! I don't think that I will ever totally relax with the phone but it would be nice to get to the stage where I could just be able to make appointments, confirm arrangements etc.

Back