ChicagoBlue...Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
How awful.....there are no words...He'll be missed.

Laura

Since I have worked in the restaurant business for 25+ years. As a cook in a kitchen, we don't bother running for a fire extinguisher, we grab salt or baking soda, especially when it comes to oil that's on fire.

The Fire Extinguisher has to many chemicals in it, we would have to close the entire restaurant down if a fire broke out. The chemicals would be everywhere and we'd have to throw away so much food. At least with Salt or Baking Soda, we can put the fire out clean it up quickly and continue cooking.

Of course, not everyone reacts to fire the same. Most people flip out out of fear. I myself am used to fire, so I know how to react to it. Having grown up with a wood burning stove in my house as well as working grills that use charcoal. It's instinct for me.

The absolute worst thing you can do is throw water on oil fires. That is an absolute NO NO. Adding water to hot oil is like setting off a bomb and it will explode and splash oil everywhere.

oh? salt or baking soda.... definitely a very important thing I've learned today.

Its saddening to find out that he died this way. Had good memories hanging out back in 2001. Reminder that life is too short and the only regret I had was not reconnecting with him as I had the opportunity to do so.

Yes, baking soda or salt does the trick...it happened to me several years ago when I lived in a double-wide mobile home....(mobile homes burn easily)...someone left a pan full of grease in the oven...and I turned the oven on to let it heat up before baking something....I got distracted and when I came back and opened the oven, it was on fire.....smoke everywhere...

We panicked!...(my boys and I)...beating the fire with a dish towel didn't work...the flames shot out and the kitchen curtains caught on fire...the rod melted...My kitchen was very large...and then I remembered the salt and baking soda!...My son called the fire department.....by the time they got there, I had gotten the fire out......kitchen ceiling was scorched....black soot everywhere....:shock:...even my hair was stringed...

I remember telling SWK (saywhatkid) about it...and to this day!...I always check the oven to make sure no pans with grease are in there before turning the oven on!....If there is...then the culprit catches my wrath!!!

Since I have worked in the restaurant business for 25+ years. As a cook in a kitchen, we don't bother running for a fire extinguisher, we grab salt or baking soda, especially when it comes to oil that's on fire.

The Fire Extinguisher has to many chemicals in it, we would have to close the entire restaurant down if a fire broke out. The chemicals would be everywhere and we'd have to throw away so much food. At least with Salt or Baking Soda, we can put the fire out clean it up quickly and continue cooking.

Of course, not everyone reacts to fire the same. Most people flip out out of fear. I myself am used to fire, so I know how to react to it. Having grown up with a wood burning stove in my house as well as working grills that use charcoal. It's instinct for me.

The absolute worst thing you can do is throw water on oil fires. That is an absolute NO NO. Adding water to hot oil is like setting off a bomb and it will explode and splash oil everywhere.

Thanks for the tip!

This is a sad thing. I liked Mark. I never heard him say a mean thing. I liked his innocence and determination. In fact I admired him because of those things. Farewell Mark....and peace to you

I'm shocked to read this. I don't think I am able to sleep tonight. RIP Mark.

this tread should just be centre around Mark not whys or whats bc we cared and sad, we want to know but remember at some point his parents family will read what he has done or not done let them see we cared .it natural be curious but maybe this not the right time.There two heart broke parents my heart go out to and maybe at some point they will post and get some comfort knowing people cyber friends who thought a lot about him
RIP MARK

We were PM buddies

Great pic of you and him❤ this taken the night before his death?

No, Angel was in Chicago some months back for a wedding, I believe, and they met up. That's pretty well known around here.....

No, Angel was in Chicago some months back for a wedding, I believe, and they met up. That's pretty well known around here.....
Ok thank you

I enjoyed his photos. It's very sad. My condolences to his friends here and his family.

OMG! Already gone? That's so sad. RIP, Mark

I just checked his profile and his last post was on Feb 14th, the day before the fire in early am (correct?). I didn't know that he was still around here before. I thought he took a break for a while. I shall miss Mr. Nice Guy.

Mod note:

Title is edited per request... also, Chicago Police Department has been in contact with Angel1989 and at this time NO MORE COMMENTS will be made as this situation is under investigation.

Please no further posts until we get the official statement.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back