Chelsea Lately's Heather McDonald makes fun of Marlee Matlin's voice.

Never, at any time, did I say that it was only because of Marlee. I have a lot of Deaf friends who saw that episode and were really upset. Please don't make assumptions about me. Yes, I'm a fan. But it could've been any Deaf person that they were making fun of. I would've felt exactly the same.

I haven't made any assumptions. I only remarked on what you are upset about.

And on the bolded, how did they know about the deaf voice imitation?

I would not have known if you had not brought it up here.

Is it bad that I laughed? I did watch the L word and I'm cracking up about it because Marlee's character really is like that. Did you want her to speak in a normal voice when she imitated the character? I'm sorry to say, but it's funnier with the deaf voice.

*shrugs*

I rarely laugh at Muslim jokes, everyone's different!
I tend to agree with you. Humor is subjective. The job of the comedian is to make people laugh and at the round table discussion on Chelsey Handler, nobody is exempt. They poke fun at everyone.

What I took from that was her poking fun at Marlee's character on the L word and not directly at Marlee. I have to say that the title of this thread is a bit misleading. It should say Chelsea Latelys Heather McDonald Makes fun of Marlee Matlins character on the L word. Just my :2c:

Marlee said on her Twitter account that she didn't think the joke was humorous and she stated she wished she could globber the Host for laughing at the joke as well as Heather.

Heh, she said she's an Oscar winner and what is she? *SNICKERS!*

WTG Marlee!

I haven't made any assumptions. I only remarked on what you are upset about.

And on the bolded, how did they know about the deaf voice imitation?

I would not have known if you had not brought it up here.

Two of them said that it was because of the way she was holding her lips? I don't see how it's any different. But then again, I'm not deaf. My other friend Zach is HoH so he could hear the majority of what she said.

I think that if Marlee is upset over this she should lighten up and learn to laugh at herself. She is a celeb and they are all targets for comedians. Most celebs are flattered that they are being picked on by the comedians. You have to keep it in context. Chelsea's show is on Comedy Central and its a COMEDY. It is designed to make people laugh and they pick on all kinds of celebs. Life is too short to spend a whole lot of energy on something like this IMHO.

Edit: I checked Marlee's twitter and here is what she had to say about it.
Source: http://twitter.com/marleematlIn

4:27 PM Aug 16th from web So doing Chelsea Lately on Weds. And on the show bout year ago Heather McDonald made fun of me (my voice) Should I address it, make a crack?
Or should I be above it? The show is bawdy..pretty much no holds barred..but hey, I got an Oscar and Heather doesn't so thats enuf said? :) I'm tempted to say when I walk on Chelsea that @mcdonaldeather can kiss my deaf a** but then, I'm an Oscar winner and she's not. :)

She doesn't sound upset about it and she also understands that it's a no holds barrred. I think Marlee gets it as the humor that it is and I look forward to her response when she is on the show.

So, If Marelee is not upset about this they why should anyone else be?

And she also said this:

RT @carpesomediem Y'know what, though? @mcdonaldeather & @chelsealately would think it's funny. --- NAH. I'm thinking about my deaf friends.

So no, it's not about her.

Well, with Marlee being Deaf and Heather basing her imitation off of that, she's making fun of all Deaf individuals. Sorry I guess I didn't make myself clear.

Well, with Marlee being Deaf and Heather basing her imitation off of that, she's making fun of all Deaf individuals. Sorry I guess I didn't make myself clear.

So you then are saying that all deaf individuals have the speech patterns of Marlee Matlin?

NO! God, everything I say is taken out of context. I'm not even going to try to explain anything anymore. I don't want to be misunderstood again.

Oh, so now do you feel like deaf people are really mean, and pick on poor defenseless hearing people? :cool2:

wtf? it looks like you are always ready to rip this gal a new butthole over anything and everything. give her break. she is young and wants to make a career in deaf studies. she actually cares about deaf people and what happens towards deaf people. why are you so hard on her? give the kid a break

wtf? it looks like you are always ready to rip this gal a new butthole over anything and everything. give her break. she is young and wants to make a career in deaf studies. she actually cares about deaf people and what happens towards deaf people. why are you so hard on her? give the kid a break

I hear and will obey!!:wave: Although everyone knows I loathe hearing who think they need to stand up for deaf.

It diminishes us.

I hear and will obey!!:wave: Although everyone knows I loathe hearing who think they need to stand up for deaf.

It diminishes us.
that is understandable botti.

MMfan is young and learning. she will learn the ropes. wisdom comes with age. it helps if a kind soul is willing to share their wisdom and teach it to the young.

it is nicer that way...

Sorry, but I was laughing my ass off. I thought it was funnier than shit. It’s just a fucking caricature—get over it.

You are entitled to your opinion. I don't agree with you that she was making fun of ALL deaf individuals. Remember to keep it in context. It's suppose to be funny. They are comedians.

Back