Cardinal Warns Against "Da Vinci Code"

Oceanbreeze said:
:hug: It's all in fun, eh?
Yep! ;)

linneaelliott, I am not criticizing you or your opinion or anything like that but I want to offer the devil's advocate's POV (point of view).

linneaelliott said:
I think the Cardinal, like a lot of other christians around here, are only concerned that it will cause confusion in your beliefs in Christ. I know a few people who have read the book and now they are just so confused. They don't know what to believe anymore. The only book we should really depend on and believe that its true is God's Holy Word, the Bible.
Well, does the Bible contain 100 hundred percent of truth? Doubtful. Many people are confused about life and such when they are reading the bible as well. Does it mean that we need to discourage everyone to not read the Bible too because of these confusions as well?

linneaelliott said:
Just because Dan Brown claims to be a christian doesnt mean he is one. I know that as a christian, I am not supposed to judge anybody. But if he really were a christian, he would not write a book about Jesus/God in any point of view except what comes from the Bible.
I would say the same thing about many, many christians... They claimed that they are christians yet they didn't act like they are (by that, I mean, they didn't follow what Jesus or God preached.. their actions proved that to me many times). So how can it make any difference when Dan Brown said it? I mean, who are we to judge him? Maybe he is more 'christian' than 20 milllions of christians ever will be? Only because he wrote this book does NOT mean that he is not christian... If so then I can say the same thing about many christians who didn't follow what Jesus & God preached.

Anyway, one friend (she's hearing professor at one of colleges) of mine im'ed me recently when I showed her this article. She rolled her eyes about it... and told me that many people has been considered the Bible as 'ficition' book as well. And she offered me her theory as of why these religious people riled up... she was wondering if Dan Brown's book is closer to truth than these religious fanatics would admit... It kinda got me thinking... what else that this book made their ass tightened up and all? It is just a theory -- I am not saying that this book is so-called 'fact'.

In any case, Di Vinci Code rocks!

Banjo said:
I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't, because most people who are against something are often something they haven't even experienced, read nor tried.
You may address me directly if you wish.

I didn't say that I was "against" the book, and I didn't say censor it, did I?

The author himself said the book is a novel, which means it is fiction. So I don't need to read the book in order to know that it is fiction, right?

Tell you a lot about what they know. Hearsay is a problem among the society, they'll believe any crap that they are told by their close friends, or people in high places.

I don't know if that "they" was supposed to include me. I don't follow any edicts from the Vatican if that is what you are referring to.

Magatsu said:
... she was wondering if Dan Brown's book is closer to truth than these religious fanatics would admit....
Which "truth" would that be?

Reba said:
No. It doesn't interest me.

Yet you said this...

The book is fiction. The story is not real. It is not even historically accurate. I don't believe it should be banned for sale or placement in public libraries. I don't think it is a good choice for school assignment. I wouldn't spend any of my money on the book. I believe it should be ignored.

If you want to criticize the book, at least read it. Otherwise, you're just basing your arguments on what you've heard or read. Reading the book is the best way to set up a good argument, but to rely on the arguments... doesn't sit too well with me.

It just shows me that people would rather believe what they're told. Even if it's a lie. Just like people fell for that crap about Harry Potter "promoting" witchcraft. No, it doesn't promote witchcraft. I've read all of the books, and I don't feel any need to practice witchcraft.

You probably didn't read them either and you did speak out against them. Most Anti-Harry Potter activists probably didn't read them either. It was the same with Jews who was angry with Mel Gibson's The Passion because it "promotes" hatred against the Jews.

Just a bunch of baloney. It's so amusing to see how easily people are brainwashed by the "warnings" of such "evil" materials.

Pathetic.

Reba said:
You may address me directly if you wish.

Yes, but I addressed it to Bewolf since he made a comment that I wanted to respond to. Yes, it would had been better suited if it was in private. But it's already in the open, so my apologies.

I didn't say that I was "against" the book, and I didn't say censor it, did I?

But you did say that the book should be ignored. Therefore, you are against the book. I didn't say that you wanted to censor it, but it's obvious that you are against the book.

The author himself said the book is a novel, which means it is fiction. So I don't need to read the book in order to know that it is fiction, right?

But if you want to make an argument over the book, you really should read it. It'll help you build up a better argument.

Banjo said:
...If you want to criticize the book, at least read it. Otherwise, you're just basing your arguments on what you've heard or read. Reading the book is the best way to set up a good argument, but to rely on the arguments... doesn't sit too well with me.

It just shows me that people would rather believe what they're told.
OK. I have read reviews of the book. They state that the story claims that Jesus was just a man, and that he had a child with Mary Magdalene. Is that truly in the book? Does the book claim that Mary M., and not the Last Supper chalice, is the "Holy Grail"? Are the book's references to the Priory of Sion based on the forged hoax documents of Pierre Plantard? Or am I wrong?

...You probably didn't read them either and you did speak out against them. Most Anti-Harry Potter activists probably didn't read them either.
I am not an "Anti-Harry Potter activist". I only stated that the Harry Potter toys were among several that I wouldn't buy for my grandsons because I don't buy anything that relates to witchcraft. I never said that no one else can buy it or read the books. I just prefer not to buy witchcraft related items. So sue me.

Reba said:
OK. I have read reviews of the book. They state that the story claims that Jesus was just a man, and that he had a child with Mary Magdalene. Is that truly in the book? Does the book claim that Mary M., and not the Last Supper chalice, is the "Holy Grail"? Are the book's references to the Priory of Sion based on the forged hoax documents of Pierre Plantard? Or am I wrong?

Oh, I don't read book reviews. All I can say is, read it. It's pretty detailed and somehow complicated at times. I'm not here to discuss of what happened in the book, it's not in my nature to spoil the details of a book. But don't read it if you are not truly interested.

I am not an "Anti-Harry Potter activist". I only stated that the Harry Potter toys were among several that I wouldn't buy for my grandsons because I don't buy anything that relates to witchcraft. I never said that no one else can buy it or read the books. I just prefer not to buy witchcraft related items. So sue me.

But you said you don't buy anything related to witchcraft. Wouldn't that make you Anti-Harry Potter? Really, nothing's wrong with being Anti-Harry Potter. But I'll still make fun of you for all it's worth. :)

I know you don't support censorship, but it's obvious that you don't think too much of the materials that doesn't reflect God or Christianity in a good way. Though people are largely misinformed on the stories of Harry Potter to begin with. But it's a discussion that deserves its own thread.

If they want to ban this book, they should ban the Bible. The Bible is also just one big story that hasn't been really proven. This is merely a case of favorism... by the Vatican. :roll:

Sorry, Mag, I guess my question wasn't clear. I wanted to know what your professor friend meant by, "if Dan Brown's book is closer to truth than these religious fanatics would admit." What exactly in Brown's book is she referring to that is closer to truth, compared to what? I don't understand. Please be specific.

Magatsu said:
Anyway, one friend (she's hearing professor at one of colleges) of mine ... was wondering if Dan Brown's book is closer to truth than these religious fanatics would admit....

Banjo said:
Oh, I don't read book reviews. All I can say is, read it. It's pretty detailed and somehow complicated at times. I'm not here to discuss of what happened in the book, it's not in my nature to spoil the details of a book. But don't read it if you are not truly interested.
Are you saying that the author does not claim that Jesus was a man who had children with Mary M.? Are you saying that Brown doesn't refer to the Priory of Sion? Am I wrong?

But you said you don't buy anything related to witchcraft. Wouldn't that make you Anti-Harry Potter?
What do you mean by "Anti-Harry Potter"? Just because I don't buy the stuff? I never said that the books or movies should be banned, so how am I "anti"? I don't buy People magazine, the Village Voice, or TV Guide, but that doesn't mean I am "anti" those publications. It's called consumer choice.

I know you don't support censorship, but it's obvious that you don't think too much of the materials that doesn't reflect God or Christianity in a good way.
I assume Christians are allowed to give their opinions equally with everyone else. Or am I wrong?

I haven't read it and I have no interest in this cuz anyone can write and make fool out of us. Make us a believer of his words. I consider it dangerous book. I do not think anyone should banned his book cuz I believe in freedom of speech.

I watched on history channel not too long ago about this little town in Italy and they believed Mary came to this town and had a child from Jesus. I do not believe this cuz Jesus would not break one of 10 commandment.

jazzy said:
I haven't read it and I have no interest in this cuz anyone can write and make fool out of us. Make us a believer of his words. I consider it dangerous book. I do not think anyone should banned his book cuz I believe in freedom of speech.

I watched on history channel not too long ago about this little town in Italy and they believed Mary came to this town and had a child from Jesus. I do not believe this cuz Jesus would not break one of 10 commandment.
Who says that he was trying to make us believe his words?

Look at it this way... we have preachers and pastors trying to make us believe the Bible.

VamPyroX said:
Look at it this way... we have preachers and pastors trying to make us believe the Bible.
Preachers and pastors did not make me believe in the bible. God did.

VamPyroX said:
... we have preachers and pastors trying to make us believe the Bible.
Only the Holy Spirit can give understanding of the Bible, grace to believe, and conviction to obey.

Reba said:
Only the Holy Spirit can give understanding of the Bible, grace to believe, and conviction to obey.

Yes exactly. Not too many people get a chance to understand His mystery way of working with us every minute of our lives.

jazzy said:
Preachers and pastors did not make me believe in the bible. God did.
How did God do that? Did you actually meet Him in person and He convinced you with proof?

jazzy said:

I am not aware that reading this book can make a believer out of myself. I just consider this book as something to kill the time... or rather, force me to think... I love the latter one.

I guess I should read this book! It'll be a long spring break since KU is out of the tourney. :(

Back