Caps on Messenger...

Chajukin

Reaction score
Aseem Hattangadi almost lost a friend because he wasn't clued into Netiquette. "When I was new to chatting, I didn't know that caps (capital letters) meant shouting, so I kept using caps and that spoilt my relations with a friend. But now we are cool," he grins.

A Warning Do Not Use Caps, Unless you really want to shout!!

Tell me, do you think caps is good to use on messenger or is it rude? like someone is yelling?

Interesting!!!

I always using block captial letters to chatting with my friends no problem until you told me it is other meaning for yelling?

I repeat what you said to my friends in my MSN group, they nearly all saying to me WTF??

I prefer to type block capital letter because it is quicker and fast so I don't have to change its letters like this eg

THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG

The Quick Brown Fox jumps over the Lazy Dog - it slower my speed to think the block letters first isn't it????

But my teenagers daughters think the same as you, they believe the block letters meaning its yelling/angry at you!! :dj:
:wave:

Yes, I felt that by using caps is like yelling. I would usually ask the person I'm talking to to lower their caps UNLESS there is a reason for using cap beside yelling... for easier reading mostly... which is fine by me. Bascially what I'm saying is that yes I think and feel that by using caps is like yelling and shouting. :)

The only time I use caps is for regular punctuation, unless I REALLY need to STRESS a point.

One of the problems I have is one of the computer programs I have at work (called an MDT) uses all CAPS when entering notes. Its used to track the progress of our calls. Everything has to be ALL CAPS and I will forget to turn it off when using other programs or E-mail on our systems.

Tamara said:
Interesting!!!

I always using block captial letters to chatting with my friends no problem until you told me it is other meaning for yelling?

I repeat what you said to my friends in my MSN group, they nearly all saying to me WTF??

I prefer to type block capital letter because it is quicker and fast so I don't have to change its letters like this eg

THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG

The Quick Brown Fox jumps over the Lazy Dog - it slower my speed to think the block letters first isn't it????

But my teenagers daughters think the same as you, they believe the block letters meaning its yelling/angry at you!! :dj:
:wave:
Well, using all caps isn't proper wording usage. If you're not going to use proper wording usage, why bother using all caps when you can use all lower case? ;)

Chajukin said:
Aseem Hattangadi almost lost a friend because he wasn't clued into Netiquette. "When I was new to chatting, I didn't know that caps (capital letters) meant shouting, so I kept using caps and that spoilt my relations with a friend. But now we are cool," he grins.

Tell me, do you think caps is good to use on messenger or is it rude? like someone is yelling?

in my case... i use CAPS to STRESS/EMPHASIZE a word or to EXPRESS my emotion.. that's pretty much it..

VamPyroX said:
Well, using all caps isn't proper wording usage. If you're not going to use proper wording usage, why bother using all caps when you can use all lower case? ;)

IMO I think block caps is better than reading small letters like this:

queen elizabeth's children are prince charles, princess anne, prince andrew and prince edward, i live in london, i am the queen and ruler of uk and all commonwealth countries, i am the boss.

:confused:
Everyone thinks different - huh!

Well, I use lower case because it's faster to type when I chat with my friends.

MSN or IM chats is different than write a letter or posts here. If I write or make my posts then do it property.

I use capital letters during MSN or IM chats when I'm angry.

Chajukin said:

Yes, I'm agree with you. I use capital letters when I'm angry. It would be noticeable when someone are angry with me thru capital letters.

What you just said looks better in lower case than in CAPS.

Also, professionals in typography have found that lower case is much easier to read. The best combination is mostly lower case with limited upper case for emphasis or proper names. The human brain can read lower case much quicker and easier than all CAPS. Notice how highway billboards are designed. People need to read the entire msg in just a few seconds as they drive by. They use mostly lower case.

The human eye and brain can "catch" the shapes of words by using lower case letters which include ascender and descender shaped letters. Block CAPS don't have ascenders or descenders, so the words have no "shape". Therefore, the eye and brain need to slow down and read each letter instead of catching the entire word.

OK. Today's lecture is over, ha, ha.

Reba said:
Also, professionals in typography have found that lower case is much easier to read. The best combination is mostly lower case with limited upper case for emphasis or proper names. The human brain can read lower case much quicker and easier than all CAPS. Notice how highway billboards are designed. People need to read the entire msg in just a few seconds as they drive by. They use mostly lower case.

The human eye and brain can "catch" the shapes of words by using lower case letters which include ascender and descender shaped letters. Block CAPS don't have ascenders or descenders, so the words have no "shape". Therefore, the eye and brain need to slow down and read each letter instead of catching the entire word.

OK. Today's lecture is over, ha, ha.
:werd:

There are times when I look at a word that's all capitalized and suddenly get a feeling that it's spelled wrong. There are times when I look at it again when it's lower-cased and feel better knowing that it does look right. For me, it's sometimes... NOT & THEY.

Yea I would have to agree that CAPS is a way of communication of yelling or angry. I use lower case with bold so I can read easier for my poor eyesight. I just got a new glasses and it help a little. Thanks goodness

Back