Calling 911....

the best you can do is get his plate and notify police later on once you get home. and a description of subject if you can.

Nowadays, Pix (or vidz) or it didn't happen.

the best you can do is get his plate and notify police later on once you get home. and a description of subject if you can.

I couldn't see their license plate..

I was on the freeway and definitely didn't want to get too close. Especially since I'm just getting over my accident.

I guess if someone was with me we could have videotaped them. I wonder how much dash cams are and if they would have worked for something like this?

well - it's iffy at best. it is dependent on 911 dispatcher center and wireless cell carrier. if it is equipped with technology (aka "Enhanced 911") to detect your location... great. if not.... it will take just a while longer to trace you... several minutes.

I wouldn't count on it with my life. just me and my Second Amendment :) (j/k)

Won't take several minutes .... an example ... on FB ... if its enabled ... when you send a private message via mobile or cell phone it'll have an icon that'll show your exact location within 50 foot as soon as you click send.

I was on the freeway and definitely didn't want to get too close. Especially since I'm just getting over my accident.

I guess if someone was with me we could have videotaped them. I wonder how much dash cams are and if they would have worked for something like this?

Here are a couple of links:

Dashboard Camera Reviews

The Best Dash Cam | The Wirecutter

Hopefully that'll help somewhat. Come to think of it, I need to make that a reality for my bikes.

Be defensive ... stay away from the other vehicle and look out for yourself ... like you said if someone else was with you they could have recorded it or zoomed in to get a pic of the tag but if your alone concentrate on keeping you at a safe distance away from the other car ... sure dial 911 if you can, safely, but not if it takes your attention off the road and puts you at risk.

Be defensive ... stay away from the other vehicle and look out for yourself ... like you said if someone else was with you they could have recorded it or zoomed in to get a pic of the tag but if your alone concentrate on keeping you at a safe distance away from the other car ... sure dial 911 if you can, safely, but not if it takes your attention off the road and puts you at risk.

I can place a call from my steering wheel. Super great feature in the new car. I definitely am not going to put myself in harms way. Never know who might be driving that car, right? Some crazy people out there.

I also know that a lot of truck drivers radio in when they see someone driving crazy.

Oh and Mark...good information.

Won't take several minutes .... an example ... on FB ... if its enabled ... when you send a private message via mobile or cell phone it'll have an icon that'll show your exact location within 50 foot as soon as you click send.

not quite the same.

when you call 911, it's on cellular mode.... not wifi or data. so when you're calling 911, your cell signal is bouncing off from several cell towers which will take several minutes to triangulate on your position.

Nowadays, Pix (or vidz) or it didn't happen.

true. there won't be any arrest but it will be noted in the police record for future reference.... in case he gets arrested for similar incident.

I can place a call from my steering wheel. Super great feature in the new car. I definitely am not going to put myself in harms way. Never know who might be driving that car, right? Some crazy people out there.

I also know that a lot of truck drivers radio in when they see someone driving crazy.

Oh and Mark...good information.

yes. some CB radios are equipped with this switch where you can flip it to emergency frequency to contact police department. state police is definitely equipped to receive it. town/city police? no idea.. probably not. maybe.

Last edited:
Usually a snapshot of GPS location, it becomes useless when traveling. Ask Ken Davis, he had dealt with and found out that 911 dispatch only gets one location information per call, meaning that when he called 911 while following a stolen car, dispatcher were unable to track down.

Does anybody know if the gps in my cell phone will alert 911 to my location? How does that work?

I heard that in some places (can't remember precisely where) in Canada there is soon to be an option for D/deaf/hoh people to be able to text 911, which is pretty cool.

-Jason

There is another thread about that here somewhere. It's available (or by 2015 if I remember correctly) in certain cities in the US too. I will like that when it comes to my area.

sad thing in uk,so many kids watch American cops and robbers that they think 911 is our emergency number not 999...I not sure what happens if deaf

First of all, kudos to you Angel for trying to do the right thing :ty: :thumb:

perhaps it wasn't the operator, sometimes the lines are so tied up (it happens) it's the recording saying "all lines are busy at the moment, the operator will be with you shortly please stand by" or something to the tune.

I would assume perhaps the person could not understand you very well,
so I would repeat as clearly as possible what, where and when.

secondly I think it's possible to text 911, and although I understand it is not allowed to drive and text - the circumstances were,
well, special so if you are good at texting while driving perhaps you could make an exception?
risky, though, b/c then they would know and you could have got yourself in trouble instead, yikes.

Fuzzy

First of all, kudos to you Angel for trying to do the right thing :ty: :thumb:

perhaps it wasn't the operator, sometimes the lines are so tied up (it happens) it's the recording saying "all lines are busy at the moment, the operator will be with you shortly please stand by" or something to the tune.

I would assume perhaps the person could not understand you very well,
so I would repeat as clearly as possible what, where and when.

secondly I think it's possible to text 911, and although I understand it is not allowed to drive and text - the circumstances were,
well, special so if you are good at texting while driving perhaps you could make an exception?
risky, though, b/c then they would know and you could have got yourself in trouble instead, yikes.

Fuzzy

Thank you Audiofuzzy....
I am told I speak just fine. I was hearing my whole life, went deaf in 2011.

I would never ever text and drive, especially on the freeway. Since I was just involved in a big car accident I will not put myself into any kind of danger.

I gave the information a few times. I told them I was deaf and could not hear their instructions. I gave them the freeway name, what exits were coming up, what lane we were in, color and make of the car. That was all I could do as my exit was coming up.

That area is extremely well patrolled, so hopefully I gave enough information that would help.

Oh and I used Siri to call 911. Didn't have to look away or down keeping my eyes on the road the whole time.

There may already be something available like below?
A little off topic but....There is an app called Aspire. It was made for men and women in an abusive relationship. You can preprogram a message saying you need help and have it set up to call numerous people. 911, friends, family etc. You don't even talk...just press this button that is actually hidden. As soon as you hit that button, your phone starts recording automatically.

I mention this because I think this kind of app would work great for deaf people who might require more emergency medical care or spend a lot of time alone. Also might be good if you live with someone who may require frequent emergency medical attention.

I'm sure there is something like this available but I haven't come across it.

Oh and I used Siri to call 911. Didn't have to look away or down keeping my eyes on the road the whole time.

There may already be something available like below?
A little off topic but....There is an app called Aspire. It was made for men and women in an abusive relationship. You can preprogram a message saying you need help and have it set up to call numerous people. 911, friends, family etc. You don't even talk...just press this button that is actually hidden. As soon as you hit that button, your phone starts recording automatically.

I mention this because I think this kind of app would work great for deaf people who might require more emergency medical care or spend a lot of time alone. Also might be good if you live with someone who may require frequent emergency medical attention.

I'm sure there is something like this available but I haven't come across it.

There is Life Line for people that need emergency medical attention , I think if some require frequent emergency medical attention they would be in a nursing home or hospital .

Back