C.i?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate CI period.

Originally posted by ideafspy
Most of those negative I have says because here that state are lazy to me that I meet. I am 22 years old and move from different states. Current college student at University, study in field as business. I am doing for myself and get all cochlear implant on my head this year. I am doing purpose for college, future family, people, and many purposes. However; I don?t believe to put the deaf child born to get cochlear implant. Why am I saying this? Because they can lose who they are, I watch the movie called, ?Sound and Fury.? It is interesting hot topic about cochlear implant verse deaf, but they are in same family members. I saw one scene movie/tape that girl use cochlear implant. The girl doesn?t understand deaf girl sign language. The girl asked the mother what the deaf girl doing. Mother respond, ?That is sign language and deaf culture doing this communicate to other communicate.? The girl starts confused about sign language like she asked herself that she needs learn sign language too? It just interests know about that one.

Heather and her mother Nita got implanted this year. those are the same people from Sound and Fury...

check this thread... (I know the word will be censored in the url but replace it with "d e a f o n l i n e" ) : http://www.**********.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1201&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

also here's video for you and yeah no cc:

Don't know if this will work for you guys... but here you go...

This was shown on GMA this morning..

A New World of Sound

You need a Real One Player from www.real.com

---
near the end before it show Nita getting hooked up. Nita said that during that time Sound and Fury was filmed.. she wasn't sure.. but 3 yrs later, she noticed the trends, improvements and etc.. so they decided to go for it. in the video, Heather said before the implant, she tends to say "what what" to her hearing friends (probably with HA) and now after that, she could understand them clearly...

=====

Also you said, you will get implant but wished you got HA instead... so why is that? is that becasue HA is not helping you? you sounded like you don't want CI even though you said you are not excited about that... then by all means DON'T get CI!
As for me, I am extremely excited to get one soon, I was supposed to have CI surgery last friday but it was cancelled becasue the surgical equipments hasn't arrived yet.. so hoping it will be on May 30th! I am really looking forward to it. I am going to be very motivated to participate in A/V therapy... so you have to be motivated and really looking forward even excited.. but you aren't excited.. so why bother?

Originally posted by Boult
As for me, I am extremely excited to get one soon, I was supposed to have CI surgery last friday but it was cancelled becasue the surgical equipments hasn't arrived yet.. so hoping it will be on May 30th! I am really looking forward to it. I am going to be very motivated to participate in A/V therapy...

Congratulations on your CI implant, it would be interesting to see how it works out for you. I wish you luck with your surgery.

It is interesting hot topic about cochlear implant verse deaf
As I've repeatly stated back in the old days, Deaf leaders thought that hearing aids meant an end to Deaf culture!
CI has been around for almost twenty years. Yet research has shown that the gross majority of people who grew up oral deaf, do eventually pick up ASL as a second language!
The CI isn't a cure...sure some people are able to hear pretty well with it, under optimum conditions , but not everyone has a loud voice or has a good "professional speaker" voice. (the audiogram results might be inaccurate as hearing professionals tend to have really good speaking voices which do not reflect the population as a whole!)

of course I am sure OddBall hate because mostly common deaf are not support CI as well

Originally posted by GoldenLeaf74
of course I am sure OddBall hate because mostly common deaf are not support CI as well

Sorry, but that's a myth that a lot of "D"eaf people want to believe for silly reasons.

The people you're talking are the "D"eaf, not the deaf. A lot of "D"eaf people are told to hate cochlear implants, that I can say for sure.

I have seen "D"eaf adults telling deaf kids that cochlear implants are bad for them and they are spewing out such misinformation that could sickens somebody to death.

Just be yourself, and if you want to hear. Nothing is wrong with wanting to hear.

That's what cochlear implants are for.

Originally posted by Oddball
I hate CI period.

Wow...that statement was full of logic and very insightful...a fine example of typical traditional Deaf culture.

Thanks for that.

because mostly common deaf are not support CI as well
I've seen younger deafies be a little more accepting of CI then of older deafies.

Originally posted by deafdyke
Very true. You have NO idea how many parents of kids who grew up without ASL, have looked back and wished they'd gone with both speech and ASL way back when!
Quite a few hearing parents never had exposure to people with disabilties while growing up, since until relatively recently PWD were socked away and sent to schools. Maybe one good outcome of the mainstreaming movement is that more people will have a more realistic view of disabilty b/c they actually know honest to god disabled people who are sucessful and who live with their disabilty(ies)

That isn't precisely what I meant. What I meant was that an oral deaf kid VERY often ends up with extremely delayed English.
Their English isn't sophpiscated...For example check out a lesson plan for a five year old on the Learning to Listen site. (I'll provide a link later) At the beginning of the lesson she turns to her mother and asks "Push nose?" This is a FIVE year old! Not a two year old...a FIVE year old! Most oral deaf people speak plainly (me want car, instead of I would like the car) and their written language reflects that. Many oral deaf people are just as bad at English (grammar,syntax etc) as ASLers.
Whereas a Signer could be so sophiscated in their language usage that they can talk endlessly on all sorts of subjects like dinosaurs, or cartoons, or horses, or cats, or whatever!
Their vocabularly, syntax etc is far far beyond what an oral deaf kid has achieved. Now do you see what I mean?

I really don't get what you are saying about how oralists would have terriable english grammars. I believe that a hearing impaired child who undergoes english trainings would achieve more than a hearing child who is just relying on picking up the speaking and hearing skills from the other hearing people around this person. Get my drift?

Yes, both ASL and English users can carry a steady and good converstations. They even can argue in both languages. Same for any other languages. Maybe you need to define what you mean as delays in a language.

Originally posted by Boult
Heather and her mother Nita got implanted this year. those are the same people from Sound and Fury...

check this thread... (I know the word will be censored in the url but replace it with "d e a f o n l i n e" ) : http://www.**********.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1201&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

also here's video for you and yeah no cc:

Don't know if this will work for you guys... but here you go...

This was shown on GMA this morning..

A New World of Sound

You need a Real One Player from www.real.com

---
near the end before it show Nita getting hooked up. Nita said that during that time Sound and Fury was filmed.. she wasn't sure.. but 3 yrs later, she noticed the trends, improvements and etc.. so they decided to go for it. in the video, Heather said before the implant, she tends to say "what what" to her hearing friends (probably with HA) and now after that, she could understand them clearly...

=====

Also you said, you will get implant but wished you got HA instead... so why is that? is that becasue HA is not helping you? you sounded like you don't want CI even though you said you are not excited about that... then by all means DON'T get CI!
As for me, I am extremely excited to get one soon, I was supposed to have CI surgery last friday but it was cancelled becasue the surgical equipments hasn't arrived yet.. so hoping it will be on May 30th! I am really looking forward to it. I am going to be very motivated to participate in A/V therapy... so you have to be motivated and really looking forward even excited.. but you aren't excited.. so why bother?

I had both the motivation and excitement at that time when I recieved the Cochlear Implant. It went downward when I realized that there was very little for me to take advantage of this Cochlear Implant. Only thing useful that I had found was that I could hear when someoen was getting my attention or hearing the school bell with the hint that the class has ended. There are few other small things that had been good reasons for me to wear the Cochlear Implant but most of them were during school days for me.

If you are still going for Cochlear Implant, we should share the experiences so I can perhaps learn and understand more about myself and my own moviations. :D

Originally posted by Banjo
Sorry, but that's a myth that a lot of "D"eaf people want to believe for silly reasons.

The people you're talking are the "D"eaf, not the deaf. A lot of "D"eaf people are told to hate cochlear implants, that I can say for sure.

I have seen "D"eaf adults telling deaf kids that cochlear implants are bad for them and they are spewing out such misinformation that could sickens somebody to death.

Just be yourself, and if you want to hear. Nothing is wrong with wanting to hear.

That's what cochlear implants are for.

There's two kinds of ways looking at deafness. One way is what most of hearing people do, that's disability. Other way is that deaf is a way of life.

Cochlear Implant was created for the #1 way. Deaf people included in the #2 didn't like how the #1 was being cured. That's how the myth became developed. It beats being back in '40s to 70s when there was only #1 way.

With your last sentence, I'll like to hear you tell someone, "It is ok for you to get up from your wheelchair and see if you can walk without your doctor present." :P

I really don't get what you are saying about how oralists would have terriable english grammars. I believe that a hearing impaired child who undergoes english trainings would achieve more than a hearing child who is just relying on picking up the speaking and hearing skills from the other hearing people around this person. Get my drift?

Yes, both ASL and English users can carry a steady and good converstations. They even can argue in both languages. Same for any other languages. Maybe you need to define what you mean as delays in a language.
Silence Gold, what I am saying is that most oralists have significent trouble with expressive language. Their expressive language tends to sound like something a first grader would say.
They can accurately articulate/pronounce a word but the language is really not sophisticated . They tend not to have a grasp on things like grammar, vocab (they are very selective and choosy in what they say. They speak with minmal command of the language.)
The way an oral deaf person speaks and expresses themselves is like the way an English speaker with two or three years worth of French class would speak and express themselves in everyday ordinary vernacular French.
Let me give you an example. An oral deaf kid of about four or five might say something like " Ride bike?" whereas a Signing Deaf kid of the same age might say something that would translate to : " Can we ride our bikes down to the beach today? I want to go swimming and build a sandcastle and hunt for crabs and bury Daddy in the sand!"
Now do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Silence Gold, what I am saying is that most oralists have significent trouble with expressive language. Their expressive language tends to sound like something a first grader would say.
They can accurately articulate/pronounce a word but the language is really not sophisticated . They tend not to have a grasp on things like grammar, vocab (they are very selective and choosy in what they say. They speak with minmal command of the language.)
The way an oral deaf person speaks and expresses themselves is like the way an English speaker with two or three years worth of French class would speak and express themselves in everyday ordinary vernacular French.
Let me give you an example. An oral deaf kid of about four or five might say something like " Ride bike?" whereas a Signing Deaf kid of the same age might say something that would translate to : " Can we ride our bikes down to the beach today? I want to go swimming and build a sandcastle and hunt for crabs and bury Daddy in the sand!"
Now do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Yes I now understand what you mean. Creating a complete sentence.

An oral deaf kid of about four or five might say something like " Ride bike?" whereas a Signing Deaf kid of the same age might say something that would translate to : " Can we ride our bikes down to the beach today? I want to go swimming and build a sandcastle and hunt for crabs and bury Daddy in the sand!"

I've never experienced seeing an oralist this young without a complete sentence unless it was a simple answer.

My first sentence was "I want a cookie please" when I was only 15 months old. Remember that I lost my hearing right after my 1 yr birthday. My mother says that I haven't actually spoke a setence before I lost my hearing.

I've been checking with some childrens who were only learning how to speak instead of using sign language. When the parents were picking them up, they were asked, "How were your day today?" I've seen these children talking for quite a bit. It sure weren't incomplete sentences. I'll have to go around there again and this time ask around if this occurs. I am not sure what your sources are. Maybe it's a crappy school education? :dunno:

Yes I now understand what you mean. Creating a complete sentence
Not exactly......Let me see if I can articulate this a little better.....
The difference in language between an oralist with minmal spoken language fluency and a Signer(who has sophiscated command of ASL/SEE) could be compared to the difference in language between a child's book and an adult's book. Look at a Dr. Seuss or an American Girls or a Babysitter's Club book and compare the language used in those books to adult books like Stephen King, Tom Clancy, or even teen books like RL Stein or Christopher Pike.
I am not at all saying that ALL deaf oralists have minmal language fluency, just using an example to illustrate that a Deaf person's mastery of signed language could be more sophiscated then a deaf/hoh oralists fluency in spoken language. That could be why there are still teen agers with CIs in oral schools who've been there for ages . I know of many deaf/hoh oralists who have acheived fluency in spoken English, but there are plenty of oralists whose spoken expressive language just isn't that impressive.

Not exactly......Let me see if I can articulate this a little better.....
The difference in language between an oralist with minmal spoken language fluency and a Signer(who has sophiscated command of ASL/SEE) could be compared to the difference in language between a child's book and an adult's book. Look at a Dr. Seuss or an American Girls or a Babysitter's Club book and compare the language used in those books to adult books like Stephen King, Tom Clancy, or even teen books like RL Stein or Christopher Pike.
I am not at all saying that ALL deaf oralists have minmal language fluency, just using an example to illustrate that a Deaf person's mastery of signed language could be more sophiscated then a deaf/hoh oralists fluency in spoken language. That could be why there are still teen agers with CIs in oral schools who've been there for ages . I know of many deaf/hoh oralists who have acheived fluency in spoken English, but there are plenty of oralists whose spoken expressive language just isn't that impressive.

Okay, give me an example of a celebrity that has an excellent "spoken expressive language."

give me an example of a celebrity that has an excellent "spoken expressive language."
A celebrity? Like who? I am an academic geek grrrl type so my idea of celebrity is most likely different from yours.
Ummmm...Frank McCourt (Angela's Ashes), Ralph Nader, Ingrid Newkirk (president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)
...definitly not President Freedom Shrub! (aka Bush)

A celebrity? Like who? I am an academic geek grrrl type so my idea of celebrity is most likely different from yours.
Ummmm...Frank McCourt (Angela's Ashes), Ralph Nader, Ingrid Newkirk (president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)
...definitly not President Freedom Shrub! (aka Bush)

Ah, Angela's Ashes is an excellent book. I believe I have read this book at least 5 times since '99.

However, I asked for an celebrity with spoken expressive language. Angela Ashes is just in a written language.

What I am trying to do is to understand what do you mean as expressive language. Do you mean a speaking language including a body language? Do you mean the excessive usage of adjectives with all small details when telling a story?

All those people you have provided all have great education and vast amounts of experiences.

If you want to compared most of the deaf oralists flaws in their own language to those of who you listed....I guess you are right, with the lack of experiences and educations provided to the deaf oralists would be a major factor determining that those people you named are better.

However, you have failed to name a deaf adult with great "spoken expressive language." For deaf people who has learned ASL since they were very young only had to deal with just one language. For oralists, they had to deal with two languages, the written and spoken.

I believe if you do an experiment by including two different 5 yrs old children. One of them is hearing. Another one is deaf. If this deaf child was to be trained with oral skills, it would start pretty early at about 2 yrs old. By the time when both are 5 years old, I believe that the deaf child would have better understanding about the language than the hearing child. The hearing child just learned the language by hearing and picking up all those words while the deaf child was constantly trained. The deaf child would get behind in the pre teenager years. That is the time when children starts to break away from doing active activities and converting to standing around and holding a converstation. That is the weakness of the deaf child.

You have to understand that deaf oralists are not the only people who experience "delayed English." Many of hearing children even experience "delayed English."

Even delayed English books can be excellent as study materials. I was supposed to do a book report on a book, "Where the red fern grows." I just picked up one of those cliff notes book, which is famous for having "delayed english," and it helped me make a book report without having to read the whole actual book.

Even if I write shorthanded, you would call my writings "delayed english." :P

I've seen younger deafies be a little more accepting of CI then of older deafies.

my guess deaf kid is hiding to won't tell parent that they dont like CI cuz parents are control. I dont like that idae, wish i can ban CI for good

my guess deaf kid is hiding to won't tell parent that they dont like CI cuz parents are control. I dont like that idae, wish i can ban CI for good

i second that, fine BANJO why dont u put urself in CI then maybe you'll get the idea..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back