C.i?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeafAlwAyZRawKs

Reaction score
:mad2: :twisted: :o

cochlear implants..... i feel like they are destroying our deaf pridness.... I refuse to allow that to destroy us.....

doctors invented a new technology to see if newborn babies are deaf/hearing.... Use them Automatically to make the babies hearing, i was soooooooooooooooooo angry! honestly i was kinda :eek:

Do u support CI? if the newborn baby is deaf do u allow ur doctors to do that? I think its going to be a new LAW soon.

Well, I have it...but never wear it. Of course, I won't let my children have it until they are older to make the decision.

Originally posted by DeafAlwAyZRawKs
:mad2: :twisted: :o

cochlear implants..... i feel like they are destroying our deaf pridness.... I refuse to allow that to destroy us.....

doctors invented a new technology to see if newborn babies are deaf/hearing.... Use them Automatically to make the babies hearing, i was soooooooooooooooooo angry! honestly i was kinda :eek:

Do u support CI? if the newborn baby is deaf do u allow ur doctors to do that? I think its going to be a new LAW soon.

No, there won't be a law against the Cochlear Implants for infants. Studies has shown that the earlier you are implanted, the better the progress will get.

Besides, if you want to see cochlear implants banned, go to bed and try to dream about it. That's the best you can do.

The ban ain't happening.

Deaf Prideness?

Try to take pride in yourself, not for the others.

well BANJO, it seems that you have a bad attitude about this, im speaking of GENERAL.... and i just heard that Drs. r using that new inventory, in use for newborn babies...

(banjo: im not speaking for MYSELF......)

Originally posted by DeafAlwAyZRawKs
well BANJO, it seems that you have a bad attitude about this, im speaking of GENERAL.... and i just heard that Drs. r using that new inventory, in use for newborn babies...

(banjo: im not speaking for MYSELF......)

Bad attitude?

In general?

FACT: The MAJORITY of deaf population are not "D"eaf, just "d"eaf.

Speak for yourself, don't speak for the others. I don't want you to speak for the deaf people when the majority of them don't agree with you.

The problem here is that people are so brainwashed by this so-called "D"eaf Culture.

We have a deaf community, but deaf culture?

Please, it's just another excuse for us to rub into the other people's faces about our needs.

In fact, there are "D"eaf people who support the ADA laws but they refuse to admit to being disabled.

If you truly believe that you are disabled, then you are not to use the ADA laws because it is for the disabled ones.

I believe in making laws to require corporations to make the public places more accessible to the disabled ones.

I believe in breaking down the barriers between the disabled ones and the society.

The society is improving, and it has made a lot of progression in the last 10 years in comparison to the rest of the 20th century.

We are getting more access to captioning at the theatres, mainly with the RWC (Rear-Window Captioning)... I'm happy that they are able to provide captioning instead of having to make it open-captioned which irks a lot of the others who aren't accustomed to it.

We are not to force the society to bow down to our needs, we have to make things even instead of uneven. Meaning the barriers are the ones we still have to work on in order to improve our lives.

Deafness is a disability, period!

If you actually think you aren't disabled.

Please do us a favour and don't use the interpreters, don't use TTYs, don't use the ADA laws and anything that is related in assisting us with our deafness.

Then you can come back and tell us what it is like to live without interpreters, TTYs, ADA laws and everything else that assists our needs.

You will truly feel disabled and disconnected from the society.

Originally posted by Banjo
Bad attitude?

In general?

Speak for yourself, don't speak for the others. I don't want you to speak for the deaf people when the majority of them don't agree with you.

The problem here is that people are so brainwashed by this so-called "D"eaf Culture.

We have a deaf community, but deaf culture?

Please, it's just another excuse for us to rub into the other people's faces about our needs.

In fact, there are "D"eaf people who support the ADA laws but they refuse to admit to being disabled.

If you truly believe that you are disabled, then you are not to use the ADA laws because it is for the disabled ones.

I believe in making laws to require corporations to make the public places more accessible to the disabled ones.

I believe in breaking down the barriers between the disabled ones and the society.

The society is improving, and it has made a lot of progression in the last 10 years in comparison to the rest of the 20th century.

We are getting more access to captioning at the theatres, mainly with the RWC (Rear-Window Captioning)... I'm happy that they are able to provide captioning instead of having to make it open-captioned which irks a lot of the others who aren't accustomed to it.

We are not to force the society to bow down to our needs, we have to make things even instead of uneven. Meaning the barriers are the ones we still have to work on in order to improve our lives.

Deafness is a disability, period!

If you actually think you aren't disabled.

Please do us a favour and don't use the interpreters, don't use TTYs, don't use the ADA laws and anything that is related in assisting us with our deafness.

Then you can come back and tell us what it is like to live without interpreters, TTYs, ADA laws and everything else that assists our needs.

You will truly feel disabled and disconnected from the society.

I am disagree with you,
Deaf shouold be capital with D,
Deaf is not considering to be a disbility. I consdering Deaf is a part of Culture.

@ Banjo

Perhaps 100 year ago, I would agree with you completely, that deafness is a disability. Technically, it IS a disability. But, the mindset is that it is not really a disability, because the only thing that separates us from the society is our inability to hear.

I personally do not consider it disability at all. I rarely evoke the ADA laws to hearies. Instead, I view it as a communication barrier, which is also a language barrier. It is similar to the idea of a person who is from... say Russia, who doesn't understand a word of English at all. The court would provide an interpreter for the Russian. That is similar to providing an interpreter for the deaf person. Since language is one aspect of a culture, then deaf culture does exist. We are a group of people with all types of hearing loss, sharing our experiences and learning from each other. Some of us are not happy being deaf, while others are. With acceptance of oneself being deaf, then the view of it as being a disability is not really there anymore. The only problem I see is that the deaf and hearing world clash each other all the time. That is why people need to be open minded and understand each world, accept it and work with it.

That is b/c MOST deafness is aquirred or age-related. Only about 5% of deaf people are BORN or early deafened!! However most of those identify as Deaf. There are even some late-deafened people who identify as Deaf!
Also until recently most HOH/oral deaf people were encouraged to forget about their deafness and pass for hearing and asslimuate entirely into hearing society b/c of moron doctors and "experts" who claim that HOH and oral deafies have more in common with hearing people then they do with Deaf people.

I am against CI, period. No more further comments.

I do have C.I. myself... I got it when I was 3 to 5 yrs old. Yup I came from hearing family and ofc DR. convinced my parent to put me on C.I. since I couldnt hear in hearing aid when I was kid.

I don't wear them anymore ofc since I felt it destoryed my deafness when I was kid... I wanted wait till Im older enuff to makes the decision...

I'm against to who parent dont allow kids make the decision... wait till they r older to makes the decision if they wanna or not.

i kno what u mean, Irish Devil Dog.... Its hard to understand.

one of my friend has CI and he hated it because he was proud to be deaf, thats what I like to HEAR! proudness of being deaf! and i am PROUD of being deaf! i love who i am!

I have a CI and I still wear it.

"D"eaf is a social concept, not a biological concept. No deaf child is born Deaf.

Most deaf people are NOT Deaf people. Although I am good at being Deaf, I don't think all deaf people should be Deaf.

-jeff

Originally posted by netrox

"D"eaf is a social concept, not a biological concept. No deaf child is born Deaf.

Most deaf people are NOT Deaf people. Although I am good at being Deaf, I don't think all deaf people should be Deaf.

-jeff

I agree....its always been D against d.

Originally posted by netrox

-jeff

Same here, I'm good at being Deaf... but at least I know how to be realistic.

YES! There are actually Deaf people who can hear PERFECTLY, but Sign ASL as a primary language due to things like apraxia, tracheostomys, etc. If Cultural Deafness depended on degree of deafness then there would be NO HOH people who identify as Deaf.
Actually I find a lot of the anti-CI rhetoric in the Deaf Culture VERY dumb! Back when hearing aids first became widely available a lot of Deaf leaders thought that hearing aids meant the END of Deaf culture. CIs are simply the latest thing to parade down the pike.
They aren't a cure...some people get them b/c they want to be a part of both the hearing and deaf worlds! (I laugh so hard at those morons who think that a CI will give them 100% access to the hearing world. I am hoh (according to some "experts" I have more in common with hearies then with deafies) and I have NEVER EVER felt 100% a part of the hearing world. I do have some access to the hearing world, but I don't have 100% access to the hearing world!)

Almost forgot.....I do think that in cases where hearing aids are of absolutly NO help at all, that toddlers SHOULD be implanted, and taught Spoken AND Signed language so they get the best of BOTH worlds!(also for insurance just in case the implant doesn't "take" so they aren't behind on expressive language) However I DO think that in cases where hearing aids have been of a lot of benifit that the parents should wait so that the kid can decide on their own!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back