BSL and ASL interpreter?

Hm this a very good question!! They must have interpreters with knowledge of other sign language apart from BSL, in event of emergencies or something? I mean what would happen if a deaf british person went over to america and ended up in hospital or something and could only communicate in sign?

There are certified deaf interpreters for that..

Yes for ASL interpreters, but BSL? Most of posters here said they have never seen an interpreter with an ability to sign in BSL.

By the way, terp = interpreter?

certified deaf interpreters are different than sign language interpreters. The interpreters are actually deaf. They interpret between the ASL interp and the deaf client to ensure full communication whenever necessary.

I stayed in London for a brief time to be in a play...imagine my shock when the interpreter showed up...I didn't realize, and neither did the director, that BSL existed. I was a naive kid...thank goodness they found an ASL terp!!! : giggle: The chances of finding a BSL terp in the US is slim but there are other ways, as mentioned here. The use of a Certified Deaf Interpreter (CDI) is a good idea...

Met some of my favourite interpreters who work for interpreter's company. They said their deaf customers usually bring the BSL interpreters over to US to interpret.

certified deaf interpreters are different than sign language interpreters. The interpreters are actually deaf. They interpret between the ASL interp and the deaf client to ensure full communication whenever necessary.

Just to add some more detail, Certified Deaf Interpreters are usually highly skilled at communicating through gestures, and their specialty is interpreting for deaf individuals who have low-language skills or are unfamiliar with ASL.

Back