Born in the USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder what do you think about the criteria for being born on American soil for one to run for Presidency?

Should the law be changed or kept as it is. Do you think it is fair or unfair?

Debate! :ty:

The law is fair. Keep it the way it is.

We've got more and more people moving here from out of the United States. One of these days, we're gonna have to change the law for that.

I think it is a fair law. The second generation of a family here is able to be the president.

I thought it was originally because of our desire to be apart from England, to make sure no Englishman with the wrong loyalty could rule here.

We've got more and more people moving here from out of the United States. One of these days, we're gonna have to change the law for that.

Allows member of Al Qaeda to run for president? :eek3:

I would wonders about Reba, she will going spinning up and yell about our country is going screw up.

I would wonders about Reba, she will going spinning up and yell about our country is going screw up.
Don't worry about me--worry about our country.

What are you gobbling about now?

I am curious, if I was born on USA base in Japan then I am USA citizen and Japan citizen?
If your parents were American citizens, then you would be an American.

It's up to the laws of each host country as to whether or not you could have dual citizenship. Most other countries aren't as liberal about citizenship as the USA is. Some countries accept it, some don't.

That's for the people to decide.

Remember, it's not where they're born... but their plans for the United States.

I'm sure that if people heard about a member of Al Qaeda running for president, they would turn him down. Simple as that.

If they say that non-American-born citizens are at risk of being "evil", then what about those American-born citizens who decided to turn against their country and do terrorist activities?

Maybe we should change the law to allow only native Americans to run for president, if one wanna get hardcore. Everyone else came on the boat or in a turnip truck from elsewhere in the world since day one. :lol:

What defines a true American? Status of their birth?
Honestly, I ain't sure about this. I think the system is fine as it is, since we probably don't even have the resources to check background of every single foreign-born Americans and it could open a whole new can of worms. I dunno... :hmm: Interesting question, Shel!

US Constitution stays! People born in the US, at least age 35, lives in US more than 14 years... can qualify for US President, period. Keep it way as always. If parents moved from other countries, and the baby was born in the US in despite of their parents' status. That child is born in US, grows until the age of 35 and lives in the US for 14 years, therefore, qualified to run for the US President.

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States. Qualifications for the Office of President of the United States

If things change in the future, US Constitution stays! That's what our founding fathers wanted for us before we broke up with British.

Native Americans, meaning??? As long as they are born in the US, they are qualified to run for US President. Of course, they are allowed.

I am curious, if I was born on USA base in Japan then I am USA citizen and Japan citizen?

A child born on a military base is born on US soil. Also, a child born outside the US to an active duty military, outside the US on military orders, is always a citizen with equal standing as one born here.

It will be VERY HARD to change laws in the US Constitution. It will be very long and tough to change. It requires numerous of votes to pass the amendment to change the Qualification for US President in the both houses of the Congress, then, Congress will send the passed-amendment to the states to vote in both houses in every state (The votes must be passed by 3/4) The process normally takes 7 years to get it done. http://www.usconstitution.net/constam.html

This is very interesting about how many amendments are tried in the Congress. Most amendments were failed. Here is the link: http://www.usconstitution.net/constamprop.html

And just because someone was born in the US they can't be a member of Al Qaeda?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back