Best Deaf School?

Well just an idear.....maybe also something like dual enrollment? Like some of the Deaf school teachers could teach in the local mainstream school, if there were high functioning kids who were at deaf school, but who also needed more challenging courses? I think that a track system would work really well.........I know that a lot of times if a school for the Deaf has a lot of MR kids, the kids who are just dhh tend to lose out on education.
I think too that improving early intervention services and really pushing early enrollment in a school for the Deaf could improve the end product.
I think a lot of the problems come from the fact that deaf schools are seen as a last place resort. Its really underutilized as a resource. Imagine if dhh kids started out in deaf schools, so they got the foundation for mainstreaming.........that really would improve acheivement in higher grades!

In my program yes we had a class covering the Deaf culture and we had to read several books on the Deaf culture, I actually still have those books. We also had several visitors from the Deaf culture that came to talk to us about their experiences. Our sign language teacher was from the Deaf culture.

One class, and several books. One does not learn culture in a classroom. One learns culture from experiencing it.

Well just an idear.....maybe also something like dual enrollment? Like some of the Deaf school teachers could teach in the local mainstream school, if there were high functioning kids who were at deaf school, but who also needed more challenging courses? I think that a track system would work really well.........I know that a lot of times if a school for the Deaf has a lot of MR kids, the kids who are just dhh tend to lose out on education.
I think too that improving early intervention services and really pushing early enrollment in a school for the Deaf could improve the end product.
I think a lot of the problems come from the fact that deaf schools are seen as a last place resort. Its really underutilized as a resource. Imagine if dhh kids started out in deaf schools, so they got the foundation for mainstreaming.........that really would improve acheivement in higher grades!

Got to agree with you there. Policy is reversed....they refer to deaf schools after mainstream failure, which means the kids don't have the foundation to succeed in any academic environment. Education is a cummulative process, and if they don't get the fundamentals in the early grades, they certainly will not be able to grasp more complicated information later on.

But yet you say you are well informed regarding what is going on in Deaf education in CA.***shakes head***

It doesn't matter what I say you will always find false in it. I don't know who he is because I haven't observed in a couple of years.

One class, and several books. One does not learn culture in a classroom. One learns culture from experiencing it.

The intention of my class was to expose us to the Deaf culture but since that wasn't my focus I did not follow through much more. I needed to focus on what I was going to be doing. It would never be enough for you anyway.

If one of the students wanted more exposure to Deaf culture our teachers told us we can take addition classes at CSUN but we were there to learn how to be great oral teachers of the deaf this is why wee picked that porgram.

PS the visitors that came from the Deaf culture gave us different ideas for us to learn more about the Deaf cullture, if we wanted to.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what I say you will always find false in it. I don't know who he is because I haven't observed in a couple of years.

That would be "fault" not "false". And if you were attempting to be involved in Deaf culture,a nd expose your children to such, as you have so claimed, you would be staying informed of the issues. Since this is a deaf school in your area, and you are a teacher of the deaf, you would do well to stay on top of the issues that affect deaf children in your area. Step out of your little self constructed box,jackie. There is a great big world out there, and being exposed to it would certianly improve your ability to convey knowledge to others....especially the children you are supposedly educating.

The intention of my class was to expose us to the Deaf culture but since that wasn't my focus I did not follow through much more. I needed to focus on what I was going to be doing. It would never be enough for you anyway.

If one of the students wanted more exposure to Deaf culture our teachers told us we can take addition classes at CSUN but we were there to learn how to be great oral teachers of the deaf this is why wee picked that porgram.

PS the visitors that came from the Deaf culture gave us different ideas for us to learn more about the Deaf cullture, if we wanted to.

That is my whole point. You have never exposed yourself to all the options because you have spent all of your time and energy on an oral only approach. That means that you do not possess all of the knowledge that you assume you do, and there are huge gaps in your theories. Open your mind, jackie. Realize what you don't know, and go about trying to learn those things which are lacking in your lknowlege base. Then you can have a resonable intelligent discussion about the issues.

That would be "fault" not "false". And if you were attempting to be involved in Deaf culture,a nd expose your children to such, as you have so claimed, you would be staying informed of the issues. Since this is a deaf school in your area, and you are a teacher of the deaf, you would do well to stay on top of the issues that affect deaf children in your area. Step out of your little self constructed box,jackie. There is a great big world out there, and being exposed to it would certianly improve your ability to convey knowledge to others....especially the children you are supposedly educating.

It is so true..being knowledgeable about different aspects of deaf education all over the world really does broaden one's mind big time! I have deaf friends who have been in the peace corps teaching at different deaf schools or even setting up deaf ed programs themselves all over the world and they tell me about their experiences. It was apparent that their knowledge about deaf ed is broader than mine. I learned so much from them but until I experienced what they experienced I wont know as much as they know.

Great oral teachers of the deaf. That scares me! The oral-only philosophy itself is so flawed unless the deaf children themselves become hearing.

Would u deny blind people braille and expect them to read from books that sighted people use in the educational setting? That is what the oral-only philosophy does to deaf children.

We know that blind children rely on touch and hearing to learn while deaf children rely on sight (I am not sure about touch) to learn. By denying them a visual language which is sign language, it is forcing them to use the one , out of all 5 senses, that is not functioning to the fullest. Why not use one of the senses that is fully functioning, the eyes, to make access to education and the curriculm easier? Why do u, the oralists, want to make things more difficult for us by making us use language that is not visual? The public is so ready to make all the tactile and auditory accodomations for blind children to ensure that they learn just like their sighted counterparts but not for deaf children? Why the hell not? That is why I think the oral-only philosophy really sucks.

A very bad rep with whom? The oral mainstream educators?

A parent of my son's friend came over today and reminded of something I had forgot. Just this past school year Riverside had a horrible incident with one of it's younger grade teachers. The case is still in the courts but bad things are still happening there.

Great oral teachers of the deaf. That scares me! The oral-only philosophy itself is so flawed unless the deaf children themselves become hearing.

Would u deny blind people braille and expect them to read from books that sighted people use in the educational setting? That is what the oral-only philosophy does to deaf children.

We know that blind children rely on touch and hearing to learn while deaf children rely on sight (I am not sure about touch) to learn. By denying them a visual language which is sign language, it is forcing them to use the one , out of all 5 senses, that is not functioning to the fullest. Why not use one of the senses that is fully functioning, the eyes, to make access to education and the curriculm easier? Why do u, the oralists, want to make things more difficult for us by making us use language that is not visual? The public is so ready to make all the tactile and auditory accodomations for blind children to ensure that they learn just like their sighted counterparts but not for deaf children? Why the hell not? That is why I think the oral-only philosophy really sucks.

The oral approach has flaws in it because you do not believe in it.

It is not the same thing. Children that are totally blind cannot see but kids that are profoundly deaf can hear if they want to and have a cochlear implant or a hearing aide.

If you cannot see that then that is on you.

It is so true..being knowledgeable about different aspects of deaf education all over the world really does broaden one's mind big time! I have deaf friends who have been in the peace corps teaching at different deaf schools or even setting up deaf ed programs themselves all over the world and they tell me about their experiences. It was apparent that their knowledge about deaf ed is broader than mine. I learned so much from them but until I experienced what they experienced I wont know as much as they know.

And that is one of your strengths. You have confidence in what you do know, and are not afraid to admit that there is still much to be learned.

YES!:gpost:

A parent of my son's friend came over today and reminded of something I had forgot. Just this past school year Riverside had a horrible incident with one of it's younger grade teachers. The case is still in the courts but bad things are still happening there.

And bad things are happening inmany schools--including the public mainstream schools. I cited at lest four incidents in a previous post. And you need to stop listening to rumors and do the work involved in discovering a few facts.

It is not the same thing. Children that are totally blind cannot see but kids that are profoundly deaf can hear if they want to and have a cochlear implant or a hearing aide.

No the oral approach is flawed because it leads to idiotic reasoning such as you have just provided.

And bad things are happening inmany schools--including the public mainstream schools. I cited at lest four incidents in a previous post. And you need to stop listening to rumors and do the work involved in discovering a few facts.

Not rumors truth. Just as you cited sources so did I heard from sources. So are your's better then mine becasuse it is you.

Not rumors truth. Just as you cited sources so did I heard from sources. So are your's better then mine becasuse it is you.

My citations came from news reports and were regarding incidents in the public mainstream school system. Yours was second hand information from a friend. Yeah, that would make mine more credible, duh. And how do you know it is the truth? The same way you know that oral only is the best educational approach for deaf children?

BTW, why don't you go back and answer all the questions that have been asked of you? And again, work on those English skills so you can model proper usage tothe students you are responsible for. Your grammar and word usage is substandard.

shel, my best friend is legally blind, and went to Perkins. He does not know Braille! The trend in blind ed is to get kids to use their residual vision (Kevin uses large print) or to have them use a books on tape approach. There HAS been a resurgence of interest in Braille literacy, but overall, blind ed is VERY "sight impaired" style rather then capitalizing on a blind/low vision student's nautral strenghs.
I'm not saying to dump the glaases and the large print in favor of Braille and traditional "blind education...but rather equipt kids witha full toolbox. Maybe then kids can really acheive, and have a choice of tools to use!

No, that's operating on the presumption that hoh kids are somewhat more "hearing" then deaf. Yet, kids who were oral only educated don't have impressive resumes. Most oral only kids can do OK orally, but they might be able to really improve their learning and not have to work so hard if they had Sign and Cued speech and other tools in their toolbox. Why do oral only folks insist that dhh kids be limited to ONE tool?

Oh..speaking for what it did to me, my brother and many of my friends ...yea right, it is on me. LOL!

My citations came from news reports and were regarding incidents in the public mainstream school system. Yours was second hand information from a friend. Yeah, that would make mine more credible, duh. And how do you know it is the truth? The same way you know that oral only is the best educational approach for deaf children?

BTW, why don't you go back and answer all the questions that have been asked of you? And again, work on those English skills so you can model proper usage tothe students you are responsible for. Your grammar and word usage is substandard.

OOPS! Here's another one.......16 year old from Madison, WS just convicted for shooting his high school principal to death. Guess what? Not a deaf school! Go figure!

Back