Best Deaf School?

If they don't know that Riverside exists, how is it that all these mainstream "failures" are referred? And how is it that they are making the judgement that the "bad" kids are sent there?

This is why I dislike this oral philosophy..they dont know a lot about deaf people or deaf education if they are not trained in ALL aspects of deaf education including Deaf Culture..no wonder this view is still out there. It is just too bad cuz by broadening's ones knowledge, it can help a lot of deaf children in schools.

At Galluadet, I was taught about allllllll methods, all philosophies and everything and it was up to us on what we felt was best. My classmates and I agreed that the BiBi approach was the most neutral cuz it has both as opposed to having one or the other. We all felt that the BiBi approach meets both oral and ASL approaches halfway. But noooo...many people out there still think signing is a "crutch" to be used if children fail at oral language and that is not good practice, in my opinion.

U are kidding, right? That's hard to believe cuz if they studied deaf ed, they should have been educated about deaf schools too just like I was educated about different kinds of programs. Come on..what's wrong with the deaf ed programs out there? Just focus on one philosophy that's it?

Is California still a part of the United States? I thought it was, but, dang!:dunno:

I'm sorry, but if they did not expose you to the Deaf Schools in CA they did not expose you to all the programs available. And 40 hours? That's all?

I was required to participate in a deaf-ed classroom for 40 hours in the first semester, 60 hours in the next semester and about 100 something hours in my last semester. I had to participate in different kinds of programs...my program wanted us to partipate in the CS program but at the time only one program had it and they werent accepting interns at the time.

I had two and half full years of studies devoted to deaf ed and all aspects of it especially the language aquistion area. Even after graduating, I still didnt know what I know now 5 years later. So much to learn about deaf ed and all the issues.

AFAIK, University H.S. in SoCal has the critical mass needed for an effective self-contained environment for Deaf education. I could be mistaken, but I think University H.S.'s Deaf program is actually larger than student enrollments at particular Deaf schools, even if their pre-secondary numbers are counted.

That said, the sterling reptuation of University H.S. is purely anecdotal and is admittedly subjective. I have met a couple of Deaf graduates from that program and remember being impressed with them. I also lived a couple of blocks away from CSDR and am well aware of how poor a reptuation it has acquired recently.

Thankfully, with the recent addition of Malcom at the helm of CSDR, is now beginning to change things in a positive direction. Hopefully good things are now coming their way onto CSDR. Still, they have a lot of ground to cover, and I wish the school well.

AFAIK, University H.S. in SoCal has the critical mass needed for an effective self-contained environment for Deaf education. I could be mistaken, but I think University H.S.'s Deaf program is actually larger than student enrollments at particular Deaf schools, even if their pre-secondary numbers are counted.

That said, the sterling reptuation of University H.S. is purely anecdotal and is admittedly subjective. I have met a couple of Deaf graduates from that program and remember being impressed with them. I also lived a couple of blocks away from CSDR and am well aware of how poor a reptuation it has acquired recently.

Thankfully, with the recent addition of Malcom at the helm of CSDR, is now beginning to change things in a positive direction. Hopefully good things are now coming their way onto CSDR. Still, they have a lot of ground to cover, and I wish the school well.

That's good to know about CSDR ..I know that they are totally rennovating the school grounds and changing a lot of their curriculm. I think it is hard cuz they are not allowed to adopt the BiBi approach since it is not allowed in California according to my friend who works there. I will ask her for more details...

This is why I dislike this oral philosophy..they dont know a lot about deaf people or deaf education if they are not trained in ALL aspects of deaf education including Deaf Culture..no wonder this view is still out there. It is just too bad cuz by broadening's ones knowledge, it can help a lot of deaf children in schools.

At Galluadet, I was taught about allllllll methods, all philosophies and everything and it was up to us on what we felt was best. My classmates and I agreed that the BiBi approach was the most neutral cuz it has both as opposed to having one or the other. We all felt that the BiBi approach meets both oral and ASL approaches halfway. But noooo...many people out there still think signing is a "crutch" to be used if children fail at oral language and that is not good practice, in my opinion.

Exactly. I was taught allthe various schools of thought in spychology, too. But it was also expected that I would decide wich theories I would choose to be the most beneficial to my particular clientele. I can't imagine that a professor would have left out Freud or Erikkson simply because they didn't subscibe to their particuar theories.

I was required to participate in a deaf-ed classroom for 40 hours in the first semester, 60 hours in the next semester and about 100 something hours in my last semester. I had to participate in different kinds of programs...my program wanted us to partipate in the CS program but at the time only one program had it and they werent accepting interns at the time.

I had two and half full years of studies devoted to deaf ed and all aspects of it especially the language aquistion area. Even after graduating, I still didnt know what I know now 5 years later. So much to learn about deaf ed and all the issues.

That sounds much more in line with national standards. And when we stop learning is when we become dangerous. :giggle:

Thanks for the accurate information and your objective attitude.

That sounds much more in line with national standards. And when we stop learning is when we become dangerous. :giggle:

Did u know that I was supposed to do my student teaching internship at a deaf school in the Philippines? It got dropped cuz of the 9/11 terrorists attacks but can u imagine the wealth of experience and knowledge I would have gained from there? I started my internship in Jan 2002, just months after the 9/11 attacks so Gallaudet didnt feel safe sending us overseas. Oh well..it was a very bad time for all of us anyway since we were in DC when one of the attacks hit so close to us. None of us were eager to go overseas at the time.

Did u know that I was supposed to do my student teaching internship at a deaf school in the Philippines? It got dropped cuz of the 9/11 terrorists attacks but can u imagine the wealth of experience and knowledge I would have gained from there? I started my internship in Jan 2002, just months after the 9/11 attacks so Gallaudet didnt feel safe sending us overseas. Oh well..it was a very bad time for all of us anyway since we were in DC when one of the attacks hit so close to us. None of us were eager to go overseas at the time.

That is truly a shame! What a wonderful experience that would have been!

That is truly a shame! What a wonderful experience that would have been!

Yea I know!!! Anyways, I did my internship at The Learning Center in Boston. Great school..wow! So much respect for deaf people and the parents there are so involved with their children and meeting their children's needs. They see sign language as a blessing and most of them learned it. I couldnt believe how positive the environment was. I hope it is still just as positive as it is now.

I cant imagine students from those oral only programs getting those kinds of opportunities to teach deaf children in other countries if they are not being exposed to the local deaf schools. It is a shame cuz they could learn a lot..just like I learned a lot about oral deaf ed from some of my classes at Gallaudet.

But I think I am just unlucky, there weren't many students in same level as I was, I guess. It's not like they can put me in appropriate level classroom
Well why not have a "track" system?
I really think that Deaf schools need to "segregate" the MR kids but also make sure that the just regular kids get proper support and encouragement so they can really acheive, instead of lumping everyone into one group.

Yea I know!!! Anyways, I did my internship at The Learning Center in Boston. Great school..wow! So much respect for deaf people and the parents there are so involved with their children and meeting their children's needs. They see sign language as a blessing and most of them learned it. I couldnt believe how positive the environment was. I hope it is still just as positive as it is now.

I cant imagine students from those oral only programs getting those kinds of opportunities to teach deaf children in other countries if they are not being exposed to the local deaf schools. It is a shame cuz they could learn a lot..just like I learned a lot about oral deaf ed from some of my classes at Gallaudet.

Exactly. There is no way that they can deal with all of the issues unless they are educated in all of the issues. Wow! The Learning Center? I have heard great things about their program. You have really had the opportunity to learn fromt he best!

Well why not have a "track" system?
I really think that Deaf schools need to "segregate" the MR kids but also make sure that the just regular kids get proper support and encouragement so they can really acheive, instead of lumping everyone into one group.

I guess because there weren't enough students for track system. They aren't going to waste money by putting only 2 students in honor system and rest in other systems or something. Dunno.

I guess they expected me to be a role model or teach other students how to learn or something. That was a stupid method, imo, because they are putting a great burden on a 12 years old kid. Maybe they thought it will save teacher some time or something.

Well, it doesn't matter now, my deaf school used many stupid methods anyway.

Exactly. There is no way that they can deal with all of the issues unless they are educated in all of the issues. Wow! The Learning Center? I have heard great things about their program. You have really had the opportunity to learn fromt he best!

Yea, I want to work there but the pay is not good enough to support myself in Boston where cost of living is so high. Also, my daughter was in MD so needed to get back home to her.

No exposure nor no classes covering Deaf Culture?

In my program yes we had a class covering the Deaf culture and we had to read several books on the Deaf culture, I actually still have those books. We also had several visitors from the Deaf culture that came to talk to us about their experiences. Our sign language teacher was from the Deaf culture.

This past school year they had 124 students at the high school level. We have a very close friend that will be a senior and thre will be 54 students graduating this coming school year 2007-2008. So there numbers are large enough to offer many different programs.

I don't who Malcom is but I did go to a training with some teachers from CSDR and they seem happy with the changes happening.

I don't who Malcom is but I did go to a training with some teachers from CSDR and they seem happy with the changes happening.
It is Malcom Grossinger, and some information can be found at this site; CSDR Administration I have met the person before on a couple of occasions when I was a student at Gally. He seems to be doing a great job so far for CSDR and its community.

But yet you say you are well informed regarding what is going on in Deaf education in CA.***shakes head***

Back