Beepers Going Off In Stores......

Nancy

Reaction score
I went to WalMart earlier today to get a few things I needed, and then I bought them at the cashier's at the front of the store. She gave me a receipt too (all stores do).
Well, there was a WalMart employee standing right beside the doors where the "shoplifting buzzers" were. I didn't know the buzzers went off until I heard the employee say "Ma'am" and went right up behind me (I have my hearing aid on so I can hear her when she got really close to me, but I didn't hear the buzzer!!)....so I turned around and she was right there with me. She asked for my receipt and I got it out and showed it to her. She looked at it, got my printer ink I just bought out of my bag, and then went to the counter to "de-magnitize" the bar on the product. She said then that it wasn't de-magnitized, so it made the buzzers go off. I noticed one customer was staring at me, probably thought I did something wrong. Then she let me go after she put the ink back in my bag.
Now, if someone was REALLY shoplifting, I wonder if the person who did the crime ever felt any shame when customers stare at them??
And, get this, WalMart used to give "offers" if it was their fault the products were not scanned, and the people were buzzed when they weren't even trying to steal anything -- BUT NO OFFER THIS TIME!

Has this ever happened to you?

Last edited:
sorry, i cant sympathize--i have magnetic key for work and the darn thing actually goes off when i go into a store, lol. dont feel singled out--it happens to all of us

Nancy,
I wouldn't sweat it. That thing goes off every other time I'm in there...many times when I'm buying something that doesn't have those magnetic strips (I purchased a bag of beef jerky one time and it went off). I think it is my cell phone that does it. Also when I'm I'm shopping, it generally goes off for somebody in front or behind me and its pretty common. Usually what I do when I'm leaving is have my receipt in hand and walk towards the person near the door and just show them.

What I find funny is even if its gone off for a bag of jerky, they never asked me or checked anything that I *could* have been hiding under my coat. Obviously a bag of jerky wouldn't normally set it off so I obviously had something on me that would set it off...they looked at the jerky and then the receipt and I went on my way LOL.

Oh Nancy :hug:

It happened to me a few times, One or twice I have brought a X-Box game for my son, and walked through "shoplifting buzzer" And the alarm went off, My son told me about the alarm I was like what? two people ran after me and told me to come back inside and checked my bags, re-scanner some items and again I walked through the "shoplifting buzzer" It went off again! I was like what's going on? So then she finally scanner the game and finally it stopped going off on me. Boy wasn't I so embarrassed. :Oops:

Other time It happen at Fashion bug when I brought 10 panties, They forgot to remove one of the clips that was on the panties and the alarm went off on me by the door someone had to run after me in the parking lot and pulled the panties out of my bag right in the parking lot where cars going back and forth. That was another embarrassment for me.

I've set the thing off going into a store before. LOL. Them things aren't really foolproof.

Oh boy!.. lol

I went to Best Buy store at the shopping center.. I entered into the Best Buy and an alarm goes off, the security gaurd sees me to enter the store.. I knew it's my power wheelchair's controller causing an alarm goes off.

It only happened to me once when I was shopping at Pet Mart after I brought a kitten and I had to go in to get some supplies for the new kitten such as cat liter box, collars, etc...

When I paid all the items and soon I was leaving out the door, my little son was pointing at the fishes that were by the exit door, and then we left, by the time we started to go across the parking lot to where the cars were parked at, and that when someone came up and tagged me in the shoulders and said something which I didn't understand what he was saying, he told me to come inside, so I did :dunno: ...

And then asked me to give them the bags which I had in my hands, at the same time I was confused not knowing what is going on and why they wanted to check in my bags, then my little one kept saying " mommy its beeping.....Im like what's beeping?... Then I explain to the man, that I'm deaf and I dunno what's going on here, then he wrote down about the alarm going off and etc, then the first thing came on my mind is, did my little one steal a fish or something?.... :lol:

But then I found out it was the kitten's collar I brought that the lady did not scanner it cause it was in the cat liter box which had a hood on it, so I guess she did not know if there was anything in it, or had bother taking the hood off the cat liter box ..

So I paid for the kitten collar and then we left....I was soo embarrassed because people were staring at us but at least I know its not our fault ...

it happened to me one or twice times... i was grrr cuz of ppl stared at me but it not my fault...

Cheri said:
someone had to run after me in the parking lot and pulled the panties out of my bag right in the parking lot where cars going back and forth.

OMFG!!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: with lots of tears-- poor cheri!!!

keep them coming girl!!! :rofl:
i loved that story esp the home depot one!!! :rofl:

About a year before I seperated from my exh. We went to K-mart and he need a work boot for his new job. He paid for it and left the store. The next day my exh decided to go back to Kmart for something else and he wore his new work boot. When we walked inside the kmart the alarm went off and we looked around and say What What we just came in. The girl who ring up the work boot for my exh told him to take his boot off and give it to her. She forgot to scan the boot. And here my poor exh had to stand there with one boot on and one boot off. :rofl: We laughed so hard and this poor lady was :Oops: That I will never forget.

I just keep on walking. If they suspected me of shoplifting, they need to call the police on me. Their store security can't stop me from leaving.

It happens to me all the time when I buy video games and dvds, etc. And it is embarassing sometimes, because people think you are stealing. One time it buzzed when alot of people were walking out at walmart, and I was one of the people. It buzzed because of my video game that they didnt disable the sensor, but I didnt know who it buzzed for so I just kept walking. Then a Walmart guy runs up to me, and grabs my arm and says "I caught the thief!!" and I got all pissed off :pissed: because I showed him reciept, and then he said "oh sorry" but I was mad and wanted to talk to the manager. So I talked to the manager and got a free $100 walmart gift card. But now when I go back I still feel embarassed :whistle: when walmart people look at me. :Oops:

Teg

oh boy....that reminded me those story. i only went in the store just to check out the stuff in Best Buy just to look around the video game. Just to check out the video game and prices. Then when I walked back out of the store, the beeping went off. I dont have anything on me or bought anything from the store. They had me check my jacket, my pockets and everything they checked out. Then they let me go, the beeping went off again. Securties is like "hmmmm what going on??" they said they want to check my shoes so i took off my shoes. They found a magnetic sticker on the bottom on one of the shoe. Somebody might have peeled off the sticker and threw it on the floor and I accidently walked on it and it sticks to bottom of my shoe without realizing it. They apologized and they let me go. I hate that happens when someone looks at me passing by thinking I'm a shoplifter or something. But there were no offer from the store. Oh well. :dunno:

I think I only got offer from the store because I got really mad, and started raising my voice wanting to talk to a manager. :D

Yeah, it happened to me two or three times. I just kept on walking until one of them stopped me and asked me for the receipt or something.

FeistyChick said:
OMFG!!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: with lots of tears-- poor cheri!!!

keep them coming girl!!! :rofl:
i loved that story esp the home depot one!!! :rofl:

:rofl: *Mwah*

Back