Audism - The Definition and the Audist View

Wirelessly posted

but when they do? I know many situations where a child has been given both and show a preference for spoken language.

still audist?

the fact is that deaf children do not simply learn english because it is all around them. It doesn't happen. Many deaf children have tremendous english language deficits, including issues with reading.

again, i disagree that simply because you do not choose asl as your primary language (as a deaf adult) or for your child (as a parent) that it makes you an audist
That also includes ORAL deaf and mainstreamed kids! Heck, nowadays, most kids who attend Deaf School are products of the MAINSTREAM?!?!
And, faire joure one HUGE thing you are missing is that much of the time (NOT ALL, before I get attacked) the reason someone choses not to expose their kid to ASL, is the hypothesis that ASL and Signing Deaf Ed is the cause of educational deficts. Sorry but that IS audist. VERY audist!

wheelchair/walker as a "crutch"
Very similar to people with psychological disorders, who need medication to function normally. With my PTSD and depressive disorder, I accept meds just as much as I accept my "ears", now. I fought meds worse than I fought ha, by far. :confused:

I have just woken up, I too, need that coffee Jillio :giggle:

There has been a sudden swing from definition of Audism to an evaluation between Sign Language and English! Ok. Sign Language should be respected in equal rank to the main language of a respected country, and in this case, English and as it is the most common-denominator language internationally also. Being in a multi-lingual environment I have come to respect all languages. None are more superior than the other expect one. That one is our 'native' language.

Many communities and people groups around world are fighting to perserve theirs. D/deaf are no exception. Sign Language to the D/deaf is vitally important. Native language defines identity for a human being. My hearing husband speaks several languages, but when he gets to speak in his own native language, I don't deny him the right or pleasure when meeting with others that speak it, even though I cannot understand what is being said (apart from visual cues) (not much different to what it is like for me with English anyway despite that English is the first language I know)

Now that I have been introduced to Sign Language, it has become such a relief for me as it is I am recognising that it comes naturally to me. (This doesn't mean that I don't take time to learn the various signs for things, but I am able to begin to use it quickly and comprehend a lot faster than other languages, as in fact I had been using visual cues all my whole life unknowingly for comprehension - body language, facial expressions etc).

So, my point is that when sign language is pushed aside as not inclusive and not necessary in consideration of the deaf child/person's need and not given equal ranking with other main languages = Audism/Discrimination/Abuse of Human right

As for English (as it is the one referred), just as Jillio says, a deaf child will learn English because it is out there all around them.

:gpost: Very well said!

I wouldn't use your choice of words in the first phrase :giggle: but I agree that it is not a issue of the deaf and if saying that it is, wouldn't that be considered audist?

Im just tired of her blabbing nonsense. She said a while back that the deaf dont learn english because they were deaf. Completely unacceptable, so she keeps at this adage, so thats why im sick and tired of it.

Wirelessly posted

but when they do? I know many situations where a child has been given both and show a preference for spoken language.

still audist?

First: There is nothing audist about the child's choice.
Second: How are the parents raising the child? If they are raising them telling them that they are better while hearing, that is completely audist, and not healthy.

I wouldn't use your choice of words in the first phrase :giggle: but I agree that it is not a issue of the deaf and if saying that it is, wouldn't that be considered audist?

Very audist. How on earth can someone think that English language deficits are a problem of the Deaf when English isn't even their native language.:roll:

Wirelessly posted

who here is blaming ASL?

i simply said that deaf children need more than to watch tv to learn english. They don't just "pick it up".

This is crazy. Do you not see what you just wrote? Why do the Deaf need to learn English in the first place????????????

im just tired of her blabbing nonsense. She said a while back that the deaf dont learn english because they were deaf. Completely unacceptable, so she keeps at this adage, so thats why im sick and tired of it.

that is so freeeeaaakingggg audist! Deaf cant learn english cuz of their deafness???!!!!!!

This is crazy. Do you not see what you just wrote? Why do the Deaf need to learn English in the first place????????????

I find it very convenient for communicating on this board.

I like to read books.

My video games are captioned in English.

My tv captions are in English.

If I write my order out in a restaurant, I do it in English.

Those are a few reasons.

I know many situations where a child has been given both and show a preference for spoken language.

still audist?
Yes, but how often does that happen? It DOES happen, and I think that is good. Also, I'd have to say that just b/c a kid shows a preference for oral abilty early on, that may not be a sign that they will always be oral only. Were you aware that it's actually kind of not too unusual for parents to switch methodologies as time goes on? Also, little kids may think "Oh my parents talk and hear. I don't need to do that" but as time goes on, and they experiance the Fourth Grade Glass Ceiling, and lack of on par language abilty (e social emotional) things may change.
I do think that yes, there may be some deaf kids who really do not find ASL useful. There are hoh kids who don't after all.
Heck, even a lot of AG Bell kids end up at NTID.

Wirelessly posted

rebeccalj said:
Wirelessly posted

who here is blaming ASL?

i simply said that deaf children need more than to watch tv to learn english. They don't just "pick it up".

to read and write....

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
im just tired of her blabbing nonsense. She said a while back that the deaf dont learn english because they were deaf. Completely unacceptable, so she keeps at this adage, so thats why im sick and tired of it.

that is so freeeeaaakingggg audist! Deaf cant learn english cuz of their deafness???!!!!!!

that is a lie and he knows it. That is not what happened.

I find it very convenient for communicating on this board.

I like to read books.

My video games are captioned in English.

My tv captions are in English.

If I write my order out in a restaurant, I do it in English.

Those are a few reasons.

In short, there's no way deaf can escape English.

Correct. How can FJ say that the deaf child can not "pick it up" just because they can not read the words on close captioned? Most deaf children are most eager to learn to read and write. Just give them time to learn them without going through speech, speech and speech all the time. It is okay to learn speech a little but focus on learning in education setting with the help of ASL interpreters. English reading and writing is all around us all the time. Nope, we can not escape from English. :lol:

Or the language of their home country unless it is a very primitive place.
Since I can't understand spoken language, it is also very handy to read if I need to communicate with a stranger in public.

They can just write it down.

Last edited:
Or the language of their home country unless it is a very primative place.
Since I can't understand spoken language, it is also very handy to read if I need to communicate with a stranger in public.

They can just write it down.

True.

Correct. How can FJ say that the deaf child can not "pick it up" just because they can not read the words on close captioned? Most deaf children are most eager to learn to read and write. Just give them time to learn them without going through speech, speech and speech all the time. It is okay to learn speech a little but focus on learning in education setting with the help of ASL interpreters. English reading and writing is all around us all the time. Nope, we can not escape from English. :lol:

This made me think.

Does this mean ALL hearing people should be able to "pick up" English easily too?

Even the foreign people? Odd that my Cuban grandmother never learned English other than "Thank you", "Where is the bathroom?" etc., despite living in America for over 40 years....

Apparently, you CAN escape from English... :)

Back