Assaulted outside of Wal-Mart by "cop"

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL twin sisters.... that's cool. identical?

Yes, she's a member here, Angel. :giggle:

You know a funny story? A couple years ago, my twin sister was driving and I was in the passenger seat, she was speeding, we got pulled over by the police-- the first thing my twin sister said was "pretend we are deaf" I looked at her and say "Wtf?? We are deaf!!" then she started laughing and said "I mean don't speak". She thinks that if the police knew we were deaf, the police might won't give her a ticket, sure enough the police let her go with a warning. :shock:

My son and a friend of his tried the same thing. Turns out the cop was a CODA and fluent in ASL. :giggle:

My son and a friend of his tried the same thing. Turns out the cop was a CODA and fluent in ASL. :giggle:

ouch!! LOL busted! btw what's CODA?

I had to work at Walmart before while I was attending Midland College, and what you said sounded like they did the right thing.

The guy that grabbed you was more then likely a under cover security guard. We had 4 at the Walmart I worked at. When you walked out they must have suspected you was stealing cause you did not responded to the greeter, also greeters or employees are not to confront the thief. So that's why you did not get a clerk or someone else tapping on your shoulder, they just called the under cover guy and sent him on you.

Next time when walking out the door wave your receipt to the greeter at the door and most of the time they will just let you go. If you just walked out without showing something for ANY unbagged item they will stop you and check your receipt.

Just be glad you wasn't tackled by the guy as I had witness where a under cover tackled a guy for stealing a small alarm clock, a pair of cheap sunglasses, and a pack of gum. I also had to fill out a report about what i saw when the under cover tackled him, but since the thief ran the guy was in his rights to tackle the thief.

Oh yea the under cover did not carry a badge or anything as they was hired by Walmart as personal security. They don't have badges.

eh not a big deal. The employees are not allowed to handle any security-related incidents for liability reasons. You said he identified himself as police officer and you simply walked out of his way. Obviously - that looks suspicious like you've got something to hide. It's not his fault. It's simply a misunderstanding. It's a rare incident for an officer to encounter a deaf person.

If you do not want this to happen again - then wear a sign or tshirt saying "I'm deaf."

then don't shop there. the sign is out there that you're required to show the receipt so it's your responsibility as a shopper/customer to do it. if you don't like their rule, don't shop there. i hate it too and it's a fucking bullshit but wtf can i do? i need it. cheap.

while you viewed him as an aggressive, short-dicked hillbilly with a high school education and some insecure prick... have you considered that he may have viewed you as a punk brat hiding some stuff to steal when the clerk was calling out for you and when you were avoiding him after he identified himself as police officer? and to make it worse - you were resisting him even though you were simply defending yourself.... and this is while he didn't know you were deaf.

This reminds me.... couple years ago... late at night... I ran past the STOP sign on empty neighborhood. Actually I did stop but it wasn't a full stop so i got pulled over. The officer came to me and saw my HA. He pointed the flashlight to his lips so i can lip-read him. He said - "License and Registration please? ....... by the way my stepdaughter is deaf. you went past the stop sign blah blah blah..... so drive safely, ok? bye." I thought that was cool of his professionalism but I wish it was same for your case.

I had nothing to hide and the guy was wrong to do what he did. He's lucky I didn't sucker punch his ass.

Why don't your read my original post, re-read it and then come back and discuss it?

Oh yea the under cover did not carry a badge or anything as they was hired by Walmart as personal security. They don't have badges.

And it should be illegal for them to do what they are doing. It creates liability issues.

Anyone could walk up to someone they suspected, claim to be a police officer and get into a scuffle with them. They should be required to wear uniforms and carry badges.

I'm sorry, but I do not agree with jiro or anyone else. You're making me look like the bad guy when I had a receipt. It was in my pocket and I didn't get a chance to take it out to show the guy until after he let go of my arm.

And it should be illegal for them to do what they are doing. It creates liability issues.

Anyone could walk up to someone they suspected, claim to be a police officer and get into a scuffle with them. They should be required to wear uniforms and carry badges.

I'm sorry, but I do not agree with jiro or anyone else. You're making me look like the bad guy when I had a receipt. It was in my pocket and I didn't get a chance to take it out to show the guy until after he let go of my arm.

it's the action that preludes the receipt in your pocket.

1. clerk was calling out for you... you continued walking
2. the guy approached to you, identified himself as police officer... you continued walking
3. the guy stopped you, grabbed you.... you resisted and scuffled a bit

what does it look like to most people? You were a punk trying to steal. It's simply a misunderstanding.

it's the action that preludes the receipt in your pocket.

1. clerk was calling out for you... you continued walking
2. the guy approached to you, identified himself as police officer... you continued walking
3. the guy stopped you, grabbed you.... you resisted and scuffled a bit

what does it look like to most people? You were a punk trying to steal. It's simply a misunderstanding.

1. I'm DEAF for fucks sake! I didn't hear the clerk.
2. He had no proof that he was a police officer. I was confused and thought he was going to attack me.
3. Again, CONFUSION!

1. I'm DEAF for fucks sake! I didn't hear the clerk.
2. He had no proof that he was a police officer. I was confused and thought he was going to attack me.
3. Again, CONFUSION!

1. how were they supposed to know?
2. read madison069's post about explanation of off-duty/undercover cop as security guard
3. yea.. indeed... let's hope this kind of BS doesn't happen again to other deaf people. maybe he knows better now.

What I'd like to see is an apology from both officer and Wal-Mart. hell - what would be nice is that if you received some kind of compensation from Wal-Mart.

I don't want compensation from them. I'm not seeking out money.

I am hoping I will hear back from the local police dept on what happened. I wonder if I should go back to Wal-Mart to explain what happened as well to see what they say.

All I know is that I panicked afterward. I couldn't remember what the guy looked like and now, I can barely remember the details.

I am hoping I will hear back from the local police dept on what happened. I wonder if I should go back to Wal-Mart to explain what happened as well to see what they say.

All I know is that I panicked afterward. I couldn't remember what the guy looked like and now, I can barely remember the details.

damn. You should complain to Wal-Mart first that their security guards should wear uniforms... hell threaten lawsuit if you gotta. Police has nothing to do with this. Carpet-bomb Wal-mart if you have to. demand some awareness or whatsoever.

Just because you are deaf, don't mean everyone knows it.

They initially thought you was not listening to them and being rude. It's a misunderstanding, but I can guarantee you are not going to hear back from the police department as that is not their area. Private security is Walmart's division.

If you want something you need to talk to the manager of Walmart about it. but in reality it was just a misunderstanding, and from now on flash your receipt to the greeter and if they don't give a sign of wanting to see the receipt then go on. I don't know how they can solve the problem about the alarm going off, but you just have to be understanding about the situation when someone approach you.

In this situation I see both party is at fault so just take a lesson from this and show the receipt from now on, hopefully the security will have learned from it also and be a little more respectful to someone walking out, but that is a hard thing to do when it could be a thief instead of a deaf person.

I have mixed feelings about that, irrespective of what happened to Brad. Where do you draw the line? Let everybody walk out with an unpaid can of soda? Isn't doing this based on the same principle of walking out with a not-paid-for pair of shoes? A tv?
It's not a matter of everyone.

Not everyone will act ignorant when walking out.

Not everyone is deaf and doesn't hear when they're being called.

Not everyone is going to get defensive when approached by an employee.

So, 1 out of 1,000 people... who might be walking out with a stolen soda (or paid for it before coming in the store) is not worth fighting over at the risk of the life of the employee... over a 99-cent soda. :roll:

So, 1 out of 1,000 people... who might be walking out with a stolen soda (or paid for it before coming in the store) is not worth fighting over at the risk of the life of the employee... over a 99-cent soda. :roll:

THat's it, I rather they take the coke instead of taking my life. People have been killed for less. Walmart will just write it off as a damaged product.

not employee. No employees of any stores are allowed to handle any security-related incidents for liability reason. I have heard of stories about some assholes walking into Blockbuster, collected a few dvds and then walked out because they knew the employees can't even do anything about it. I confirmed this with my couple of my friends who worked at Blockbuster. They said - "yup... happened a few times.. oh well.... <shrug>" :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back