ASL, SEE, PSE, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for me, I sign mostly PSE but I've had some deaf complain i'm too SEE.

They complain about my SEE signs too, even said it was much slower than ASL. I asked them would you rather me to sign or use my voice? They shut up. :giggle:

They complain about my SEE signs too, even said it was much slower than ASL. I asked them would you rather me to sign or use my voice? They shut up. :giggle:

LoL. I'l have to remember your answer.

Good question, Kaitin with SEE (Signing Exact English) You sign everything that you say and even the little words they place the word order the same as one does when writing English.

But, with having an interpreter, we do not uses an interpreter that uses SEE, we uses an interpreter that uses ASL. It's much easlier and faster.

:ty: for the reply, Cheri.

I don't know why my brain has a problem with understanding SEE in conversation (not with interpreter in class or something). When my (hearing) roommate was signing/spelling "a" and "the" and "me" I was just :confused:. I didn't think people used these in conversation with SEE, but now I know I was wrong.

ASL is so much faster to me. If I must stop and think about "the", "it" or "this" or "that", "is" or "are" or "will be", "y-o-u", "a" etc probably I never finish a sentence or forget what I want to say. :P

I don't know why my brain has a problem with understanding SEE in conversation (not with interpreter in class or something). When my (hearing) roommate was signing/spelling "a" and "the" and "me" I was just :confused:. I didn't think people used these in conversation with SEE, but now I know I was wrong.

ASL is so much faster to me. If I must stop and think about "the", "it" or "this" or "that", "is" or "are" or "will be", "y-o-u", "a" etc probably I never finish a sentence or forget what I want to say. :P

Oh!! Are you talking about finger spelling the small letter words?

I don't fingerspell "the" "me" "is" "are" "will" "be" I sign the whole sentence, no finger spells.

I don't see anything wrong with SEE, they have said the same thing that it is Loooong and takes forever to finish one sentence than ASL. I told them well if they want to use ASL that is their choice, but to me, I felt it is lazy that they don't learn English. Am I wrong??? How will someone learn English if they don't learn SEE, like taking a driver's test, filling out their parents' form if they are dying in the hospital, etc... I rather use SEE because I am comfortable with it whether they like it or not. They said fingerspelling is pain in you know where, but what am I supposed to do about it, it was the way I was taught.

I don't fingerspell "the" "me" "is" "are" "will" "be" I sign the whole sentence, no finger spells.

We would fingerspell the long word like suspense, sometimes we don't remember what the sign for suspense is...depends on our mood :)....never in short words as in 'the,' 'is,' 'was,' etc...

I don't see anything wrong with SEE, they have said the same thing that it is Loooong and takes forever to finish one sentence than ASL. I told them well if they want to use ASL that is their choice, but to me, I felt it is lazy that they don't learn English. Am I wrong??? How will someone learn English if they don't learn SEE, like taking a driver's test, filling out their parents' form if they are dying in the hospital, etc... I rather use SEE because I am comfortable with it whether they like it or not. They said fingerspelling is pain in you know where, but what am I supposed to do about it, it was the way I was taught.

Simple..learn English by reading and writing. Nothing to do with the use of language through the air. If one has a strong language foundation whether it is spoken or signed, one will be able to transfer that foundation into learning English.

One of the reasons that SEE can be so confusing from a receptive standpoint is that the eye and the ear are designed to receive information differently. The eye receives information in a spatial and time-oriented way, therefore, the syntax of ASL is arranged to provide information in a way that is specialized for the visual system. The ear is designed to receive information in a linear sequence, and the syntax of spoken English is arranged to provide information in way that is compatible with the auditory system. When you provide visual information in an auditory sequence (signs in English syntax and using English grammar rules) it is very confusing for the brain.

Simple..learn English by reading and writing. Nothing to do with the use of language through the air. If one has a strong language foundation whether it is spoken or signed, one will be able to transfer that foundation into learning English.

I had a sereval friends had trouble understanding English, they felt ASL was the blame for not learning English. I didn't know what to say but I felt it may be true because the teacher refused to teach them higher education just because she felt that they were not 'ready' for English skills. I felt they should learn English before everything else. One couldn't drive because she had failed the test so many time, she didn't understand the booklet. They won't let interupter to come to help her with the test. Other is embrassed that everyone made fun of her because of her poor English, even her children that they had to control over her. That is why we are going to take English class, I want to be with her and help her through it.

I had a sereval friends had trouble understanding English, they felt ASL was the blame for not learning English. I didn't know what to say but I felt it may be true because the teacher refused to teach them higher education just because she felt that they were not 'ready' for English skills. I felt they should learn English before everything else. One couldn't drive because she had failed the test so many time, she didn't understand the booklet. They won't let interupter to come to help her with the test. Other is embrassed that everyone made fun of her because of her poor English, even her children that they had to control over her. That is why we are going to take English class, I want to be with her and help her through it.

In these cases, restless heart, it is not ASL that is to blame, but the teachers that refused to teach these students English skills.

In these cases, restless heart, it is not ASL that is to blame, but the teachers that refused to teach these students English skills.

That is right. I do not know how things are today and I am learning ASL. I felt it was just the teacher back then, I am talking about 20 years ago, they do not know what they were doing, in fact the teacher was lazy. (We lived in a very very small town and hard to find a better school like Pennsylvaina School for the Deaf, etc...) They all knew that, but they felt all was too late. They felt they should learn English before learning ASL because they missed out so much in life. They got all mixed up from learning SEE in the first place, then when we went junior high, we went downhill and went back to Kintergarten level all over again...but in btwn, we learned very little ASL, I ignored ASL or SEE and I could hear the teacher instead of understanding ASL or SEE. I do not know why. I had to fight my rights to keep SEE and keep learning English up to date. It was one reason my mom removed me and transfer me to hearing school. I am only letting you know how my friends feel. They were old classmates of mine, I have seen it all before I left to another school. I know ASL has nothing to do with it, but just the teacher we had. I am getting some points now about PSE and ASL. It is the way things are handle today's world. Maybe we are an old fashioned and felt differently, I don't know.

From what I have seen, the classes with mediocre or low results in english often have teachers who themselves have very little undertanding of ASL. Children suffers because they face obstacles when trying to converse as a group, becacuse the teacher do not understand what they say to each other and can use it to gain knowledge in students. Also questions from students are more often misapprehended and more time is used to learn less when the teacher uses PSE or SEE.

:ty: Clever reply!

Probably I should stop talking about my roommate so I don't embarass her. But some hearing people I know spell word endings like "i-n-g", but I've seen some sign with a sweeping "i" for this. Some spell "y-o-u" :confused: Most who do these sign "the" "is" "are" etc unless they are learning and don't know the signs - then they use a few signs and a lot of spelling.

So Cheri, another question (sorry! :)) Do you sign "you" "me" "him" etc and not point?

:ty:

One of the reasons that SEE can be so confusing from a receptive standpoint is that the eye and the ear are designed to receive information differently. The eye receives information in a spatial and time-oriented way, therefore, the syntax of ASL is arranged to provide information in a way that is specialized for the visual system. The ear is designed to receive information in a linear sequence, and the syntax of spoken English is arranged to provide information in way that is compatible with the auditory system. When you provide visual information in an auditory sequence (signs in English syntax and using English grammar rules) it is very confusing for the brain.

Very interesting, Jillio! :ty:!

Very interesting, Jillio! :ty:!

Yes it is.... ASL is a beautiful language with more body language and facial expressions. when signing SEE and PSE is more of just signing with hands and proper grammar. Which would make it harder for a person to understand what they are saying. I personally Sign PSE and ASL and I find that I get more results by signing ASL with my Deaf friends understanding. To me ASL is more fun to sign because it allows more expressions and exaggerations to the signs. PSE and SEE is more complex and you have to think more to sign with your hands, Also with PSE and SEE it is harder to read due to more hand movements that doesn't allow the person sign as efficiently for others to understand.

So Cheri, another question (sorry! :)) Do you sign "you" "me" "him" etc and not point?

:ty:

Yes, I signed "you" as pointing my finger at you, and I sign "me" as pointing my finger to my chest, I sign "him" as the same similar sign as you would sign "man" "boy", there's some pointing as for "you" and "me". :)

That's right, it's the way you were taught. I've seen many different people from other states that uses different signs, It's fun to learn from other people as they can learn from you. Take Liebling for an example, she's from Germany, and I learned a few signs of hers, and she also learns our signs too. This is just the fun part of it. I can't stand complainers, I don't complain about their signs, I expect the same respect in return. ;)

Yes, I signed "you" as pointing my finger at you, and I sign "me" as pointing my finger to my chest, I sign "him" as the same similar sign as you would sign "man" "boy", there's some pointing as for "you" and "me". :)

Now I've got a question.......do you sign him by signing "boy" or "man" and then pointing toward where you have placed that person? Like if I fingerspelled "Cheri" and placed you on my right, and I wanted to refer to you again, and would sign "girl" and point to my right where I had placed you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back